vaccinations

msophiac

Jan 20, 2003
Does everyone who visits need to show some kind of immunization papers?
If I am coming for an extended visit (6 mo.) and planning on living with the locals (doing social work) and not in a tourist area, what vaccinations, if any, should I consider?
I am a bit more paranoid re: the long term side effects and controversy about some vaccinations (such as Hep B) than I am of the disease, in some cases. So I dont want to vaccinate indiscriminately.

sophia

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
In simple terms, assuming you are N. American or European, you should be protected. There has been a lot of advice posted on this board about this matter and you can use the search program to obtain more detailed information. If you have any real doubt, consult your own doctor. Regards, PJT

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you might be sexually active,the Hep,B&C are a must!

Also sanitation here is very bad,especially in the countryside!Hepatitis kills lots more people world wide than aids,and there is a series of immunizations to prevent them.Takes 6 months to a year to complete,but you could start there,finish here.CRIS

WendyPavo

Dec 13, 2002
I too am leary of vaccinations (never had a flu shot in my life - nor the flu for that matter). However, I did opt for the 3-series Hep B vaccination before my move to RD (and my doctor was able to do it in only 3 months).
During my 8 months in RD my only health problems were an irritatingly overabundance of mosquito bites, and stomach parasites (from the food/water at the smallest of the local mom & pop shacks). But not to worry ..... the best solution for mosquitos is pine oil, and the best solution for the stomach parasites are the local miracle pills (the name escapes me) ..... but both are easily located at any corner pharmacy.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Wendy" is right,But not about failing to get a "flu" shot!

I should have said that it "can" take as long as 6 months to a year for the "Hepatitis" shots.Depending on how quickly you develop he level of anti-bodies needed to be protected. Now about that "Flu" shot.It is impossible to get the "Flu" from a "Flu" shot!!!! "Flu" kills about 36,000 people each year in the USA alone.Mostly the very young,the very old,and those with weakened immune systems.So wendy,Get a :Flu" shot! I know you are "Turkey",but don't be "Chicken"Too!....It is kind of like wearing your seat belt! CRIS

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Read the CDC

At the very least - your North American vaccinations plus make sure tetanus is current, polio is current and the twinRix Hep A and B - yes the Hep B is 3 shots over 6 months - immediate, +1 month and then +5 month from #2.

The Hep B is transmitted one way but as hep A is transmitted due mainly to bad sanitation it is as important and is immediate from when you get the shot- if you get twinRix is is mixed Hep A and B in each shot.

Malaria prevention in at risk areas near or in Haiti.

msophiac

Jan 20, 2003
OK thanks, I am opting for the Hep A, not the Hep B: there is considerable danger from Hep B for anyone with an auto-immune disease...and the risk is low, it seems to me.

As I uderstand it, you can take chloroquine if you think you are going to border areas, so I suppose I will have my doctor give me a scrip, just in case.
sophia

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
msophiac

First off, I'm not a doctor, but I have some knowledge and experience concerning malaria prevention in the DR.

I see no reason to get a chloroquine (or derivative) prescription only to take with you - you can buy Aralen (the right one for the DR) tablets over the counter (as almost all medicine is) in the DR.

There is another kind for the type of malaria in South America, but which is not prevalent in the DR.

For maximum effectiveness, however, you need to begin the treatment at least 2 weeks (maybe a month) BEFORE exposure, so if you are sufficiently concerned, so be it.

I used to be that way, but eventually quit. Many medical authorities in the DR swear that it is not necessary. Furthermore, apparently the prevention has somewhat significant side effects over an extended period of time.

I've never known anyone in the DR who had it, even though I have been fairly close to Haiti many times. Recently, right next to the border I was "eaten up" by mosquitoes without catching malaria.

In short, I think that you should probably not worry about it at all unless you'll be spending a lot of time near Haiti. In that case, start taking the tablets before you arrive, and continue it until well after you are back home (at least 2 weeks, maybe a month).

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Actually A and B (sexual) - There is no C Vaccine

Criss Colon said:
Also sanitation here is very bad,especially in the countryside!Hepatitis kills lots more people world wide than aids,and there is a series of immunizations to prevent them.Takes 6 months to a year to complete,but you could start there,finish here.CRIS

Hepatitis C can be treated. It is important to find out if you have the virus and get treatment as soon as possible.

240,000 Canadians are infected with hepatitis C and, because there are no symptoms, 170,000 of them don't know it.

Most people newly infected with hepatitis C have no symptoms and are unaware of their infection, but they are still infectious.

Avoid the risk of hepatitis C: don't share needles or injection drug equipment

Hepatitis C is NOT spread by hugging, kissing or shaking hands. It is NOT spread by means of food or water.

More than 5,000 Canadians - mostly young people - are infected with hepatitis C each year.

<B>There is no vaccine for hepatitis C. </b>

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
If You Have That Sure But

msophiac said:
OK thanks, I am opting for the Hep A, not the Hep B: there is considerable danger from Hep B for anyone with an auto-immune disease...and the risk is low, it seems to me.

If you are sexually active Hep B is a tremendous risk not to vaccinate against. Females "entertaining" males especially. Not implying anything but that's the infection method among others.