Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cell phone

Post Thanks / Like

Default cell phone

Is it possible to bring a ATT prepaid cellphone to
    Santo Domingo and activate it?
    Is there an activation fee?
    I will only stay for a short period of time.
    Thanks

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

AtT prepaid cell phones are TDMA and not used in the dr. Go to Orange and rent a phone and prepay for usage.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply!
    Would you think a Spint phone can be activated?
    I still have one.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can activate one of those. Codetel can activate it but you need to bring it somewhere else first to have the towers info loaded into it. THey will tell you where to go.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default orange doesn't work in some remote areas

But that probably doesn't apply to you.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Madera,
    I travel to the DR about 4-5 times a year. I had some beat up abused cell phones in NYC, but I decided to get a new one in the DR. I landed in the DR on Jan 2, and at at 11am I went to the Orange shop on El Conde, next to American Airlines office, and for the price of 1400 pesos (64 US dollars) I got a good Nokia 3395 phone, activation , and a 100 peso starter Orange card. By 1130am, I was done. The phone worked great, even driving from the Capitol up north. Your best bet is to buy there. Even if you never return, the Nokia 3395 is a GSM digital phone, you can always have a new chip put in to work where you live.
    I also advise you bring your own Lithium ion battery. Orange sells their phones with the NiMH battery, which is a good battery, but you can abuse a Lithium ion battery by topping it off whenever you want. You don't have to wait till its on low. Lithium ion batteries can be "topped off". Any techies out there, correct me if I'm wrong!
    Also, Orange gives you 90 days to keep your activation and telephone number. I NEVER go 90 days without going to the DR from NYC, so this option worked out for me. Not a bad deal for 64 dollars. I have no clue how much they charge for rentals. If they will charge you more then 40-50 bucks, I suggest you buy. You can always use the phone at home.
    NYCguy

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Lithium is better than nickel Metal.

Both are supposedly without the memory effect.

NiCAD is the one to worry about.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from using Orange, only to let them know the facts.

A couple of months ago I used Orange and discovered personally one particular area not covered - west of Mao. The coverage ends so abruptly in leaving Mao that perhaps even Mao itself doesn't have an Orange tower.

A trucker friend of mine also uses Orange, and is often unreachable.

Aside from that, I agree that buying an Orange phone is a good deal - possibly for under 1000 pesos.

Remember though that an Orange card for 100 pesos only allows for 90 pesos' worth of calls.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

While you claim not trying to dissuade people from Orange you seem to blame Orange for the fact they charge tax,
    they are goverment obliged. Codetel and tricom charge tax as well.

Just face it Orange is cheaper and better then Codetel and in general has better coverage.

I personally have never been worried about the coverage
    behind Mao.

Who worries about Mao. Codetel service stops straight after
    Cabarete and does not come back before Rio San Juan.

Now for tourist and locals that is really a pain.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there an Orange office is Sosua or Cabarete?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast