Check Money for Damage very Carefully!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There have been a couple of threads on this in the past, but now that the deadline for replacing damaged bills at a bank has apparently passed, it is well worth emphasizing again.

A couple of close calls as examples. When my wife tried to pay the supermarket with an almost-new RD$500 bill, the fine-tooth-comb scrutiny by the cashier discovered a tiny tear in one corner, less than 1/4 long and virtually invisible unless you looked very carefully. The bill was rejected. Fortunately there was still a day left to exchange the money, so no loss but a lesson learned.

Yesterday after changing dollars I paid the Codetel bill. Among the bills given the Codetel cashier was a RD$100 on which she found a tiny ink smudge on the bank, similar to what might happen if you picked up a bill when you had an ink stain on your finger. The bill was rejected. Fortunately this happened soon enough after changing dollars so that I could take it back to the exchange bank for a replacement, but a lesson reinforced.

I think this policy of the government is going to create as many problems for the people as the short-lived adoption of daylight savings time. Especially since the paper used by the Dominican Treasury is so flimsy. Small tears after a little use are almost certain.

The only protection you have is to carefully inspect both the front and back of every bill you receive, no matter the source. Do not take for granted that any are really legal tender. Also, you can anticipate longer waits wherever you pay bills or for purchases as the cashier checks each bill given by a customer/client and then the customer/client does the same with the change.

I read in a recent dr1 news summary that an organization of businessmen had urged the government to again extend the period for exchanging damaged currency. If it doesn't, there are likely to be major complaints as people who have not been carefull discover that they have a considerable sum in bills that can't be spent.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Would echo this caution. Twice this morning in Cabarete my money was turned down - went straight back to the Cambio where I exchanged it and got new money!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It is past the deadline, Anna, unless it is extended again. Commercial establishments have until the 30th, but the rest of us are stuck. You may still find someone who isn't checking money, but I believe that in supermarkets and other businesses where there are cashiers that the cashier has his/her pay deducted for whatever "bad" money they take in.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
SO what the heck happens if you accidently trash a bill? How many time have you caught the corner of a bill and a piece came off?

Something is wrong if they don't consider that these bills don't last and wear out.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I heard the Federal Reserve Bank in Santiago will change all the old or dammaged bills. Perhaps AZB or one of the guys in Santiago can check this out.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The notice that was put out said the money could be changed for individuals up to Jan 24, and up to Jan 30 for commercial establishment.

There was a plea reported in the dr1 news summary several days ago asking the government to extend these deadlines once again (this was initially announced to be implemented some months ago). I hope we will get notice that the deadline has been extended further.

Re accidental damage to a bill, jazzcom, you are 100% correct. Especially considering the quality of the paper used, it is very, very easy to accidentally damage a bill in some way. I have no quarrel with the government's desire to get the damaged bills out of circulation, but we should have the right to take them to the bank and exchange them for undamaged bills.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
New Drop Dead Date

There are reports from today's, the 29th, papers the Central Bank has extended the deadline to exchange damaged bills for three months. April 30 is the new drop dead date. Regards, PJT

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Wonderful news, PJT.

Have you noticed how much more careful everyone is with the bills they receive? I can't speak about the entire country, but the small sampling that I have come in contact with is certainly taking a much closer look at the bills they receive. Yesterday, for example, riding in a publico to Puerto Plata, I saw the driver turn down a 100 peso bill because of some small mark, and a passenger turn down a 10 peso bill given her by the driver because of a small mark she was afraid wouldn't pass the scrutiny of the cashier in the store.

S

Stephen

Yesterday in Puerto Plata at Supermarcado Messon, two people in front of me and myself had their money turned down by the cashier. I swear you needed a magnifying glass to see the small blue dot that appeared on my $500. peso. The people in front of me, also not dominican, had a $1000. peso refused. I only got a slight glimpse of their bill but it seemed fine to me. They fought with them for about 5 minutes but they had to go get other money. Later I used it to buy gas with no problem.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The supermarket cashiers in Sosua seem to reject money for reasons hard for the rest of us mortals to understand. But I suspect that they, and others like them, are being held personally responsible for any questionable bills they accept, so protect themselves if there is even the slightest suspicion there might be a problem.

After my wife and I "dropped out" and made a cruising sailboat our home, I took a job as a cashier in a supermarket in Marathon, Florida, to earn some money. When our shift was up, the supervisor double counted the money, comparing it with the cash register receipts. If we were even one penny off, we made it up with our own funds. My guess is that the cashiers in the DR are now equally responsible for the bills they accept.