"Volkswagen Engine Trouble"

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Folks, you owners of 2001-2002 Audi?s and Volkswagens, there is a notice** to get the ignition coils on these cars replaced. The coils are failing on the cars. It appears the supplier to Volkswagen and Audi manufactured substandard coils and the cars have been sputtering and dying on the road. Now the bad news, they cannot manufacture replacement coils fast enough to meet the demand. Best to consult with your Dominican dealer ASAP to get on the list for replacement or at least have a cell phone handy in your car when you do break down. Regards, PJT

**Boston Sunday Globe, Jan 26, 2003

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
You have to be pretty dumb to own a Vollkwagean in the DR. They cost a fortune to repair and parts are scarce.
Signed. Dummy

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Update

Pretty dumb? I have seen these cars in use here. It is a matter of one's choice. I have not been able to poll the intelligence of the owners.

Update: Boston Globe, Feb. 5, 03, reports that Volkswagen and Audi (U.S.) now say they will replace all the bad coils. Dominican owners should take heed, it is a safety issue. Who wants their car to die when transiting through the likes of Capotillo on one of their rubber burning days? Regards, PJT

Boston Globe online:
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/036/business/VW_Audi_to_replace_defective_coils+.shtml

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
C'mon Eddy, my first car was a VW... I loved it. Had to get rid of it pronto, it was draining my pocket.

Hmmm... I wonder, did that make me less intelligent? :)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I still have my Passat, 6 years in a couple of months. I haven't sold it yet. I guess that would make you more intelligent than me.
Signed: Dummy and Broke( LOL)

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002
Volkswagon owner

Hey guys I have a VW Polo...it's diesel and the best decision I could have made for my lifestyle. I travel cross country at least two or three times monthly...POP - PUJ - POP... roundtrip cost??...RD$260.00 for the diesel, and I still have a quarter tank to run around at home for a few more days. Mechanically it's been fine and no different that other cars I've owned, plus it'e a robust car which makes me feel a little safer on those long voyages.
I think car choice has to do with the size of your pocket and your lifestyle.
Maggiemay

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We have a 2002 4Motion wagon. It drives and handles beautifully, especially in bad weather (snow, rain and ice). We just saw the recall a few days ago.... the headlights on these cars blow out every few months....you also have to manually unscrew the antenna when going through a car wash...I like the automatic/manual featue of their TipTronic (sp) transmission...its a useful feature, especially when trying to pass another car.