Bringing in the Mutts

Sandeep

Jan 8, 2003
www.coralbayrealestate.com
We'll we have just returned to the UK from our first non AI trip into the DR. We absolutely loved the country and drove from one end to the other. Stayed with Noelle at Sofy's B&B which was excellent...thanks for the tip on that.

Stopped lots of times by the Police in our big red shiny 4x4, but I think it proved beneficial as our Spanish was lousy and they seemed to look more perplexed than we did. No bribes or anything asked or given.

Noelle thinks we were stopped as I look like a local...!

Our next trip back will be with a bit more luggage and a couple of mutts for an indefinite stay.
Briefly speaking to the consular at Guzman's, he mentioned that we should apply to the UK consulate for taking our dogs in to the DR, he added that this could be an expensive situation.

Does anyone have any experiences of dealing with the London consulate office in doing something similar?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Absoolutely easy, no sweat proposition.
$$? Bull shit!.
1) Two cages for airfreight
2) Vet's Certificate of vaccination for normal stuff
3) have this Vet's Certificate, stamped by Dominican Consulate.
4) check with Airline about their policy on animals.
5) Obey the airline, get there early and follow the rules. You will probably pay for the weight of the dogs and their cages, like overweight.
When you arrive, an Animal Health Inspector will look over the dogs, check the stamps on your paperwork, smile and off you co with your dogs...Piece of cake.

HB

Sandeep

Jan 8, 2003
Thanks Hillbilly,
I think Christophe at Guzman's showed concern at point 3. Our dogs have passports valid for the EU / US so there are no problems apart fron ensuring that everything is up to date the week before we leave.
AA have been excellent and are only charging $110 per dog all the way, although for certain reasons there seems to be a UK / US pet embargo between May and Sept where they can't carry them.
I'll follow the stages you've highlighted, with the prices AA have quoted, I can't really go wrong!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That May to Sept thing is about the heat. Lots of dogs died in cargo holds and airlines were sued for wrongful death. There is apiece on this in today's CNN News.

HB\
Reminding you that "More Stamps means it is even better".

Sandeep

Jan 8, 2003
Thanks Marina,
We've been told that if we want to take them back to the UK, we would have to quarantine them for 6 months!

At the same time, we don't want to leave them in the UK and it seems like a good security measure to have them around in the DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And if they are nice mutts, you can probably fine nice homes for them here when you leave. 6 mos quarentine will be very costly. I agree with Marina. UK has some of the strictest quarentine rules in Europe, that is for sure...

HB