Definition of "Bottella" (Bottle)

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
There is a unit of measure used in the DR called a "Bottella". I might have the spelling wrong. As I know it, it is used as a measure of volume for milk. Does someone have a conversion factor for this in gallons or some other more common unit?

thanks...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are two meanings to the word botella, boteh ya, (1) is a bottle for holding liquids and is used in the Dominican Republic as a universal measure for milk produced by a cow. A very good cow gives 20 "botellas" a day for example. A "botella" is about a quart (+/-). (2) Means a nice, cozy, overpaid job onthe government patronage lists. Like ""Third Supervisor of the Dirty Laundry for the Government Hospitals with Less that RD$20 million in Debt" Most holders of a "botella" also hold two or three, since they don't really have to go to the job site..

Understand?

HB

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
thank HB, Sorry about my spelling, what little spanish i have is all verbal. My father in law tells me a botella is about 5 to the gallon. In our area milk sells to the cheese factory for 3.5 RD/botella and fresh milk is 5 rd/botella and I was trying to get an idea what that really means.

I was familar with the other meaning of Botella. I actually know a guy who lost a job as one because he was TOO lazy...

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
sjh said:
My father in law tells me a botella is about 5 to the gallon.

5 to the gallon is right. The unit of measure known as a botella is essentially the same volume as a rum bottle. The cows on the dairy farm I managed near San Juan de la Maguana produced thousands of bottelas daily, most of which was direct marketed to the consumer.

Some of the better Dominican crossbred cows produced upwards of 30 botellas daily during early lactation when on a 3x per day milking schedule.

Swede