Law Regarding Pit Bull dogs in Public

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
What is the law regarding pit bull dogs in the DR? We have a rich German neighbor who owns a hotel nearby that continues to walk his two pit bulls in public on the beach and deliberately passes in front of our hotel just to molest us, disturb our guests and tease our dogs. We have complained to the local minister of tourism and to Politur but to no avail. We have also asked that local minister of public health do something as these dogs are kept in the lobby of his hotel, a clear violation of the law regarding animals in public places. We have dogs that are kept chained up and a year and a half ago his dogs came up into our restaurant and attacked our dogs. One had to be taken to a vet in Sosua, some 80 miles away. With the attack and the continued harassment, my dogs go bonkers every time he passes in front, with or without his dogs.

Before that, one of his pit bulls ripped open the face of one of my colts and that required 20 stitches and 2 weeks of daily treatment by a local vet. Being a good neighbor we did not complain or file charges, but now enough is enough. The dogs also attacked other dogs in the village and killed several and another required extensive treatment to save him. These dogs are public nuisences and should be dealt with accordingly.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
water treatment

Allow me to give a suggestion with a story. A year or so ago, I had some neighbors who had hired a couple of guys to paint their ironwork on top of the fence. Well, there was a bit of wind and the bars were quite skinny. As you can well imagine, most of the paint from their air gun was landing on my side of the fence coating my plants with fresh white paint. Somehow, explaining the problem just didn't seem to register on their brains. So, after a couple of tries, I went out and got out the garden hose. When the paint gun came on, so did the hose showering them with cold water. Of course they protested that they were getting wet. In effect I said, but look, I can't help it that the water is falling on your side, that is your problem just as you say the paint falling on my side is my problem. After the second time, the simple message spoke to their hearts and they started painting with paint brushes instead.

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002
Pitbulls

I can sympathise with your problem. More or less the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Another Kraut and his two pitbulls (off the lead) attacked one of my dogs. 127 stitches and 2 months where he couldn't walk were the outcome of that. My husband who is Dominican went to the police and charged him with da?os y perjuicios to private property, he would rather have ripped the guys head off and poisoned his dogs but I went for the pacific approach. He ended up having to pay the police to get off the charges and ofcourse pay a lawyer etc. He basically went through a day and a half of shit at the police station which was good enough for me. It seems to have taught him a lesson as he no longer goose marches along our street with his pitbulls.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I hope this is not the guy from next door? Mauroi or something like that??

However, Salami with Tres-Pasitos does come to mind, as does Charlie Colt....These poor dogs are not at fault, but once trained, I really can't see any other solution...

HB

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
HB, don't get your hopes up because it's him. This is just the latest skirmish in his ongoing campaign to aggravate us. Some of the local Dominicans are even starting to question his sanity. And your right, it's not the dogs' fault.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
I am not aware of any particular law regarding pitbulls.

If the pitbulls attacked your dogs, you have a claim against the owner.

Also, by virtue of articles 88 and 89 of the Ley de Policia of 1911, anybody can kill a dog:

"cuando entren a las siembras a comerse el ma?z u otros frutos o a matar en terreno ajeno los animales dom?sticos y sus cr?as".

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"...when they enter into the crops to eat the corn or other crops or to kill en someone else's land the domesticated animals and their offspring..." More or less....

Salami and Tres Pasitos

HB

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
An anecdote:

When I was a kid a neighbor had an old German Shepherd that had become senile and very aggressive. The animal had even attacked its own owner a few time. One day the dog was let loose and bit my dad. My dad told the owner that he wanted the dog in a leash, locked inside their property or put to sleep. She didn't comply.

A few weeks later she wasn't at home and let the dog loose in their front yard. The dog jumped over the fence and out in the streets. I happened to be nearby and the dog jumped all over me, I was 8 and a small kid. Hearing me screaming my dad came out and shot the dog. The dog owner wasn't happy but when she found what happened and for fear of legal repercussions she was advised by the police to let go and pay my medical expenses and be glad that dad didn't press charges.

As far as I know even if the dog is not in your property, if it is out in the streets and it attacks you, family or your animals you can kill them.

bernie k.

Feb 2, 2003
Rectification

The dogs of the 'rich neighbours' were attacked by the dogs of the author because his habitude is to chain them up that they can always run out of the property and have access to the public raod and make it impossible to walk out of our property on the road...
The only one who was offened against the laws of sanity was the author in breading porcs on someone else's land in a residential-touristic zone just to annoy the neighbourhood and make the others believe that he is the owner of the land, ignoring the simplest understanding of hygiene. And even as 'Krauts' we can not understand that our one year old baby grows up under those circumstances...so thanks to the ministery of sanity, the ayuntamento, and the community who made them take off the beast.
And special thanks to the tourist police that checked the situation and adviced the author to chain up his dogs on his land and not on a road!
But if it cures your frustrations in making problems to everybody, go on, Andy B.!

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
"The dogs of the 'rich neighbours' were attacked by the dogs of the author because his habitude is to chain them up that they can always run out of the property and have access to the public raod and make it impossible to walk out of our property on the road..."

Bernard (or Bernie k, or whatever), this is absolutely false and you know it. I have pictures of you passing directly in front of our place rather than you proceeding on the road directly out from your property to the beach. Next lie?

This author's dogs were chained up in the author's restaurant, up the stairs and some distance from where you walk your dogs in the street out front. You were walking your dogs UNLEASHED and they came up the stairs and entered the restaurant to attack my chained-up dogs. There were witnesses, including the Swiss couple we had tending the hotel in our absence and you're damn lucky that I was out of the country when that happened as when I returned I just decided to be a good neighbor and swallow the $100usd vet charge and not press charges against you. The next time will be different.

The tourist police did not say the dog was chained "on the street" but did say that I should shorten the chain so the dog would not venture more than 3 feet outside the open garage door (instead of 6 feet) where he's kept during the day to guard the contents of the garage. We IMMEDIATELY complied even before they left to go have a talk with you and to advise you to quit walking directly in front of our hotel and for you to try to avoid further teasing our dogs. The area that the property owner in front of our hotel is trying to designate as a street is directly in front of the garage and not used by anybody. As it is fully planted with grass with NO vehicular traffic, it is essentially a front yard. The real street is some 20 feet further away and on the OTHER side of a wall. Again Bernard, tell it like it really is.

I too visited the Ministery of Public Health and they advised me that you are in violation by keeping your dogs in the lobby of your hotel, which is considered a public place. And at that time of our visit, ABSOLUTELY nothing more was said about our pet pig, Miss Piggy, being temporarily kept on the land behind our hotel, the land we are in the process of buying. She was moved immediately after we were advised to do so by the authorities (and not by you and the French goatboy when you came over to harrass me about this).

Now that we've cleared this up, would you like me to tell everybody the REAL reason you are at war with us?

bernie k.

Feb 2, 2003
First: Even if you were in process of buying a land or a house, you have not the right to bread porcs etcetera in a residential-touristic zone. But if you like the smell and dirt of a pig you can hold it in your bedroom but not in front of ours.

Second: Who made you the geometer of the landscape with the right to declare public roads?!

Third: Before taking care about our dogs in our lobby you should think about your dogs in your restaurant?!

Fourth: We didn't start war! After you were trying to sell the house where we live with a cancelled titel of the ex-owner, instead of excusing, you start all this bullshit!?

Fifth: If you want a public messageboard-war, go ahead, but take care about the rules and who you call 'French Goatboy'

Sixth: This is my last note to your kindergarden fight!

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
First, we are still in the process of buying the land even after you've done everything to screw that up. I know all about it. And Miss Piggy was only there temporarily while we could find another home for her. We weren't breeding pigs there. And frankly, with the daily bath that she got, she smelled less than your dogs. Look in your own house for the source of the odor.

Second, the road in front that has been in place for some 16 years is on the master plan in Santo Domingo. It is now a public road and cannot be moved or closed. It has also been surveyed by several surveyors and is part of several official property deslindes. So is the "unofficial" road that is not a road and the wall in front of our property.

Third, our dogs have been kept in the house next door since November with the one chained in front of the garage. In the last two days I've just put the one in the back of the restaurant to keep him away from you and your dog on your twice-daily forays, one at 7:15am and one late in the afternoon.

Fourth, we advised the owner of the house you are renting to take a lawyer to settle his claim and then immediately backed out of the process. You know that. As a licensed real estate agent I have all kinds of people wanting me to sell property for them.

Fifth, I don't particularly want any war, messageboard or other. And "Chivo" is a French goatboy and doesn't have the balls to tell you what he said about you and your dogs.

Sixth, good. Enough has been said.