My first post and a big hi too all the locals!

one_more_wave

Feb 1, 2003
I gotta confess that I've been perving on the posts here for a few days now. Some of you guys are funny and make me laugh!

I have a real serious and profound question which might make you laugh too!

I'll do my original 'wave dance' for anybody who can recommend a few consistantly good bodysurfing-surfing spots around the island.

Any advice on places with a sandy bottom and a break close to the shoreline would appreciated! I'm bringing my fins, a mask and snorkel and wouldn't mind doing some skin-scuba diving as well.

I'm renting a car (not a 4x4) so off the beaten track could be OK.

I always love a good wave and a few beers afterwords...will be in DR for 11 days, starting next week. I'd be happy to meet up with any fellow connoiseurs of fine waves, in or out of the water.

Beautiful beaches and great waves are a real passion for me...
Just need a bit of help finding them!

Thanks for any help or information.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Surfing

Cabarete is world renown for the windsurfing and kitesurfing. The waves break about 600' from shore but they are not huge. Scuba diving and snorkeling are big there as well as the reef is about 600' off shore causing the waves. I don't know for sure but I have heard the waves on the east coast are larger and more suited to bodysurfing and surfboarding. Maybe someone more familiar with the other parts of the island can be more enlightening!! :cool:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Cabarete is great, the waves are pretty far out, but doable on a windsurfer, kite board, or what I've enjoyed is a seak kayak. Get ready to drink some salt water, but it's a blast.

Cabarete is also a surfer town so to speak (it's considered one of the - if not THE #1 - place for kiteboarding in the world). Good people, great places to wine and dine, pretty much all tastes can find what they need.

On the big city side you have Embassy Beach which is about 40 minutes East from S.D. ($15 toll road), past Boca Chica and before Juan Dolio. The entrance comes up REAL quick, big parking lot, smallish beach but pretty good size waves, break close to shore.

Stay on the edges and work towards the middle, you DON'T want to hit the walls or skim the edges - (GAME OVER!). Do not go on Sundays, period!

The Eastern shore apparently has the best waves - and it makes sense - but I've never been. I'd discourage you from going there alone. These are mostly remote beaches and no one's going to be there to help if you scream, god forbid something happens. Perhaps more to the point, the likelihood of a screaming cold President being readily available is decreased as well. That alone would make me scream. Perish the thought!

Whereas on the Northern shore you need nothing but the initiative and money and you can do it all and not have to bring any equipment with you.

You're likely to meet a few people who came for a visit and never left.

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
To add a few more...
Playa Grande has some butt kicking waves, on the North Shore near Rio San Juan.
The hotel Gran Bahia in Samana has excellent body surfing and also a nice place to stay.
They say the beaches past Punta Cana in Macao have some rough suf but I've never been.

one_more_wave

Feb 1, 2003
Pardon the pun...

but you guys are swell!

Last time I took my board on a plane British Airways 'bought it' and gave me a new one so I'll leave their 'gift' at home!

Actually, four of us will be stumbling around the island...and we always feel much safer in the water...

This is an annual bash for us and the coin said "DR"!

Embassy sounds like 'The Wedge' in Newport, Ca....how big does it get in Feb.....hold it's shape well?

What about Playa Rincon? We want to hug the coastline and maybe do some paragliding if there's a good jumpsite??

Again, thanks...I got a feeling I might extend my stay!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Where are you coming from? (curious)
Do you know any Spanish? (will certainly help)

Embassy is not all that big, a few feet maybe, but consistently fun to ride and you can get dozens of rides in if your hungry enough. It's doesn't last all that long, but it's a fun place to go.

What are waves "outside of the water?" (again, curious)

one_more_wave

Feb 1, 2003
Hey Cleef.....!

uno mas cervesa, por favor! no problema....

We are coming from Biarritz, Huntington, and Sydney, meeting up in Mexico City for a stop-hop-over. That's a long story.

And all of us know enough Espanol to converse with the locals.

And any 'out of the water' waves are made by my big beer-blouted belly when I do my WaveDance. Don't stand too close to me for fear of flying fat!

Anyone ever surfed Playa Rincon? And any tips on low budget digs within striking distance of good waves means it's my shout! (aussie talk, meaning I buy the first round)

CMS, thanks for the tips. See you there?

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Lots of good surfing at Playa encuentro just down from vista del caribe outside cabarete,they just held the annual surfing and body boarding competition,come to Sosua and Ill introduce you to some of the local waveheads,cheap accomodations are not a problem
J.H:bandit: