traveling money-Euros vs. USD$? and 'soiled peso policy'

one_more_wave

Feb 1, 2003
Just wondering if anyone has changed Euros (cash) at the bank lately and if the rate is reasonable a ripoff....I know $$ are easier to change but I have Eurocash put aside for my travels in DR. And they should be worth 5-10% more than a buck now. What rate are they giving now for Euro cash?

Also, I been reading about the 'soiled money' situation on this board so I'm prepared. Thank you for that valuable info! But taken to it's extreme, aren't unsuspecting tourists are going to be easy marks for passing these bad bills?

Just a thought, perhaps this could be bad for your already fragile tourism, particularly if many get stuck with large notes.

Maybe the gouverment should exchange them at the airport as a sign of goodwill on departure. And advise all on arrival about the 'policy' in effect.

I know this idea is laughable to many locals but I plan on spending all my pesos before I leave and don't need worthless currency as a reminder of my 1st visit. I'm sure I speak for all tourists on this point.

This board has to be one of the best resources for all of us 'fresh and green' 1st timers. You guys all seem like a great group of folks and I thank all of you for helping me with your posts!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
In Sosua today the Euro is exchanging for more than the dollar. Rates vary from exchange bank to exchange bank, as does the difference between the two. But all exchange the Euro for more.

Re soiled money, tourists will be an easy target if someone has damaged money. Fortunately, the period during which the commercial banks can replace this money has been extended until April 1. So if you will be here before then, it is certain you will not need to carry "bad" money home as a souvenir.

Last edited:

one_more_wave

Feb 1, 2003
Thanks for the update, Ken.

I saw another post by you about this topic and noticed the 'spread' on Euro vs. $USD was less than 2% in favor of the Euro.

DR is not certainly not 'euro' friendly as the real difference is close to 10% now.

Has anyone with a Euro-land bank account checked their recent DR transactions lately?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You CAN Sell Pesos Back

one_more_wave said:
Maybe the gouverment should exchange them at the airport as a sign of goodwill on departure. And advise all on arrival about the 'policy' in effect.

Up to 30% of what you bought with receipt will be bought back at the bank if you have to. I think you need a quite official receipt form a bank exhange vs and cambio exhange which is nothing more than a adding amchine tape.

Also to simplify life in general, and while I would not condone ripping off Euro holders, take US$. Same applies to Canadians visiting, take US$.

Supply and demand it at work and simply they want US$ a lot more than either Euros or CAD$ so if you take US$ with you bought with Euros in your home country then it is pretty easy to get by at the cambios.

I live in Canada, keep a US$ account and take USD$ and change at the cambios into pesos.