BEWARE of the Occidental Allegro Punta Cana

cmelo

Feb 3, 2003
This is my first time posting on this site or any re: a vaca review, but it won't be the last about this hotel.

I'll start off by stating that I'm Dominican but born and raised in NY. I have traveled throughout DR (First time in Punta Cana) aside from other countries and have never had an issue with my hotel stay until I landed at the Allegro Punta Cana. Uugghh! I will be the first to admit you get what you pay for but that shouldn't mean that customer service is out the window. I made my reservation through an agency in DR via a friend and it came out to $55 US per Adult per day. (This was not my first choice. Bavaro Palace had just doubled its rates when I was going to pay and others were sold out .)

I left for DR 1/18/03 did a little family/friend visitation. On 1/20 checked into the Sol Melia Paradisus. Totally fabulous no complaints there. Will try and do a thread on that one.

On 1/25 after spending a wonderful week at the Paradisus I checked into the ALLEGRO with my husband, 4 yr old son, 7 mo. old daughter for 4 nights. Now the fun begins. There were 4 people doing the check in and 1 person in front of us. We waited approx 15 min. then it took another 15 to finish with us. They were visibly unorganized and looked frazzled as if it were there first day on the job. I can't imagine others who didn't speak Spanish. They handed me 1 key (that was a new one for me) to a 3rd floor walk up with "great views." I told Whagner to keep the view and to look at my daughter in the carriage and see if HE would like to shlep her 3 flights of stairs with her diaper bag and all the beach toys and see how he likes it. ( I had requested a 1st floor room prior to leaving NY) I got the 1 st floor and I had to request the crib and fridge because apparently they didnt' have any info.

OK. We survived check in. The room was sooo basic it made the Motel 8 look luxurious. Simply put, it was 2 double beds and a bathroom. That's it. Not even an alarm clock! I felt the sand on my feet, there was visible mold (alot of it) on the curtains to the balcony and the light switch between the beds, rust on the door frame to the bathroom and in the bathtub (Pictures to be added once downloaded) and if you're allergic to mold you'd die here. No joke. The smell so bad I sprinkled my daughter's baby powder on the pillows and sheets so we could sleep because the bedspread was so funky. Remember I'm Dominican so I'm used to some mustyness and humidity but THIS was ridiculous!

When we saw how basic this room was we requested a change for one with perhaps a coffee pot or microwave to heat the baby's milk. We met a couple who had such room and were checking out the next day so we requested it and was told to check the next day @ noon which I did then again @ 5P.

When Whagner, who checked us in and told us to come the next day said "well, that's what i was telling you yesterday" re: why we couldn't get a room change, I began to get a little irritated and having my time wasted. My response was "why did you bother taking the info if you couldn't help me and having me keep checking back?" My whole goal was to have the convenience of warming up milk for my daughter which I had to do twice that night running it under the sink for 15 minutes. He spoke to his supervisor who was a whole 12" from me and her response, as if I didn't understand, was " well she paid for a standard room". I know what I booked but what I got was "SUB-standard". As I told Ms. Elizabeth Polanco I don't know how they could taut this as a family resort where I had to change my daughter on a bench in the hotel lobby because their lobby restroom didn't even have a changing table! That's embarrassing! All i want is the convenience of warming up some milk to which she replied I could get hot water at the restaurants. Calling all mothers...would you not be fuming by now? My temperture was boiling at this point. First, their restaurants close by 11P and as I told her "so you expect me leave in my PJ's at 2 or 3 am looking for hot water?!" "All I want is a coffee pot." I was crying by now and I think it was what got me the damn thing 2 hours later. Oh, it was delivered with 2 security guys by the person's side. Now that was funny.

If it weren't for the sun I would have died here. I couldn't wait to get home.

Let me give you a recap of the stay:

Beach- small, little murky due to boat fueling station 1 hotel over to the right @ boat club, lots of seaweed that get's piled amidst loungers. Beach alot better past the 1 hotel on the left. Then it's just coconut trees and land, no seaweed and cystal clear waters.

Kids Club- Very nice setup with new equipment and friendly staff. My son had an enjoyable time here.

Food-Buffet Rest, Topaz- large variety but nothing to rave about except the desserts. Seriously understaffed. Nothing but bus boys no waiter/waitress to bring you drinks. Self service all the way. No glasses to drink from just plastic disposables or hard plastic. Scavenger type set up. Don't have a place setting at the table? Just grab one from another table. Doesn't seem to matter that someone may already be there.

Reservations for Specialty Rest.- Take a number and wait your turn. LITERALLY!! I waited an hour and a half! Frankly they were nothing to brag about. I was actually excited when I got a Pepsi in a glass! The specialty restaurants are the only places where you'll have a waiter.

Drinks-No Premium brands. They use Normandy brand for everything. They use carnation milk instead of reg. milk for drinks. Really gross. We stuck to beer or frozen anything.

Staff-were friendly and full of smiles. Thank GOD.

Bartenders- i noticed they just know spanish which is a negative especially when all you need to know is drinks and that's all they were asked for. Beach bar guy didn't know lime or a coffee with amaretto. (I believe people should have the basics language skills when going away but the tourists were trying so hard it was pitiful and the bartenders just smiled and pointed.) They waived off a couple of people who actually asked them a question. I was there to help those in distress at those times.

The accomodations were in what I like to call "Caribbean Projects" There was no light to penetrate the halls so it was dark even at noon. Very depressing.

All in all, It was not worth it even at $55!

For college kids just interested in a bed and unlimited beer with no frills then this may be for you.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
cmelo, sorry you did not have a great time at the Allegro. Some resort rooms do not come with a coffee pot, steam irons, or refrig's; because theft and destruction of hotel property is not uncommon in the D.R. Therefore, operators of resorts with "basic rooms" will not provide them. Just another thing they do not have to worry about.

You may want to explore having a electric travel coffee pot with you for your late night family needs. They are manufactured to be small and efficient, usually pack nested with two cups, pot, brewer, and storage for coffee, dry milk, and sugar. They are ideal for brewing coffee, tea, and heating of milk and soups (dry package/add water). Cost for one is about US $25-$30. Used ours to cook spaghetti and meatballs. Regards, PJT

Questions

I really think this is a fake review of a resort, first of all reviews should not be posted on the board in full array. Your comment about Motel 8 ??, <b>get it right "its Motel 6 and we'll leave the lights on ya hear"</b><br> And the Barcelo Palace for $110 per day, unheard of. <br>Why would you leave the Paradisus and move about 4 or 5 km down the beach ?? you should have stayed there<br> No alarm clock? well they have wake up service.<br>Topaz restaurant ???<br> Premium brand drinks??? Bartenders no just Spanish??
Hay I was there in November and you must have got the wrong name for the resort. <b>It was fantastic</b> Premium brand drinks available always, where is the Topaz unless they changed the restaurant name since November 10th. Frankie the bar tender in the lobby bar has a masters in English and speaks it fluently, Juan in the Las Brasa spoke fluent English as did many other bar tenders and waiters.<br> And I aint no college kid interested in beer and a bed.<br> I think this report is bogus as they come, cuz things can't get that bad in less than 2 months.
Check out my reviews on Debbies and on the DR1 review page, they are real.

cmelo

Feb 3, 2003
Hlywood,
I think before you started blasting me for a bogus review you should have paid attention to the title of my thread which you obviously overlooked. I was talking about the Occidental Allegro Punta Cana NOT the Barcelo Bavaro Palace. I know they are like apples and oranges.

If you found my review a little long it's because I believe it more beneficial to read about things as they happened or were observed instead of just writing somthing was "awful", "nice", or "FANTASTIC" as you said. All those words are very subjective and vary from person to person and frankly don't add any value in my opinion. I let the reader make their own decision based on the examples of what occured.

Just to answer your question.

I wanted to extend my stay beyond the week @ Paradisus but there was no availability. So, I reserved @ the Palace for the last four nights of my vaca but 3 days before I was to pay THEY had doubled their rates. One of the few available resorts left was the ALLEGRO. The Allegro was $55 p/adult not the Palace.

Sorry if I offended you by saying Motel 8 as opposed to 6. That's to show you I don't stay at budget motels eventhough after my stay at the Allegro that's what it should be classified as.

I would suggest you be a bit more careful before you post next time. Nonetheless, I appreciate your feedback on the Palace.

cmelo

No I did not overlook what you posted about.<br>Occidental Allegro Punta Cana is what you were talking about. <br>Now I stayed there Nov. 3-Nov10/02 and find it hard to beleive that it change that much in 2 months. My visit was a I said very good and found it almost exactly opposite to your.
If you found it that way report it, no problems with me, but I have seen so many bogus reviews here and on other boards.<br>
No offense taken on this end.

cmelo

Feb 3, 2003
Hlywood,
I can't believe you weren't talking about the Palace when describing premium liquors. But when I re-read your post and you mentioned Las Brasas, which is where I ate last week, we were both talking about the same place.

Check out their website http://www.allegroresorts.com/hotels/oa_puntacana/restau.html
As a matter of fact they don't even list Las Brasas. (I just read your post on DebbiesDominican and you state the buffet rest. was under renovation at the time you were there. They probably renamed it afterwards which is why you didn't recognize the name Topaz when I mentioned it.

The staff is still friendly but obviously overworked in the Topaz, where as i mentioned there are no waiters or waitresses. I asked one of the guys (bus boy) what was going on and he said " well, you know with these Spaniards, where there should be 20 people working there is only 1." (Don't want to insult any Spaniards just quoting him.) On the one side of the rest. where we were I'd estimate sits 150-200 there were only 3 people to clear off dishes and 1 person walking around replacing utensils and napkins. And during breakfast, the one who was flipping pancakes also tended to 2 frying pans for omelettes 4' away. (There was 1 other guy doing the fried eggs on the grill next to him and he was the one with the line because it was apparent he wasn't back and forth between stations)

Frankly I'm amazed we're talking about the same Allegro resort in Punta Cana. There is DEFINITELY no premium liquors anymore. It is all Normandy brand. You could have "house wine" which I saw being filled from an unlabeled gallon jug. (I asked what kind it was and was told just "house wine." I guess there were major changes made in the short time since you've been there. Maybe it had to do with the Hotel now being referred to as Occidental Allegro. I guess Occidental has much lower standards.

It was an experience I will not repeat again. Like I said before, you get what you pay for but I think customer service is number one priority that I think they've let fall by the wayside. Pretty sad.

I would suggest you do the Paradisus if you could wing it. The beach is more spacious (longer in depth and width), no seaweed or litter issue, no boats wizzing by people, no need to reserve chairs. 24hr room sevice, immense & beautiful grounds. Lobster/ ready to eat shrimp/calamari/mussels everyday if you wish. Bottles of wine with every meal if you like. Premium liquors. And if you smoke..free smokes too! I miss that place!

HugeEuge

Jan 3, 2004
For God's sake, is it premium liquors or not???

Along this vein, I am going to the Occidental Allegro in a few weeks. Unfortunately I think I will need to bring my happy face and my sad face as all these reviews are so all over the place! The reviews range from "loved it" to "quite hated it".

I think there must be a difference in the season and obviously the rooms one gets there. We have to consider that some people may not have gone on vacation to the islands before.

Anyway, here is a link to some good reviews. They range from happy to sad... I will add my own when I get back. Wish me luck!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...Punta_Cana-Punta_Cana_Dominican_Republic.html

notice cmelo, that the website that you posted for the Allegro is up anymore. I say, "Hmmmmm" with my pinkie on my lips like Dr. Evil...

The list to bring so far: cleaning supplies, insulated mug, safe, gun, tanning supplies, sea weed clippers, fake cigar tester, spanish to english dictionary. Hmm. Anything else?

katty

Mar 14, 2003
punta cana

gosh you people need to get a grip. this is the Dominican Republic for Gods sake . This is a beautiful country not like yours if you want service from a 6 star go to NY. These people speak Spanish and live a different life than those from US deal with it

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
From their website:

After a 6 million US $ renovation, on December 2003, Occidental Hotels & Resorts re-opened the Allegro Punta Cana by Occidental .

Here's a list of upgrades:
? Complete renovation of all 540 rooms, from floor to ceiling, including room amenities and completely new bathrooms.
? Carefully selected color and design schemes, projecting a warm, distinctive, and unique style for all rooms.
? All restaurant and food and beverage areas have been upgraded.
? Surrounding tile of the swimming pool area, as well as the pool itself has been replaced and/or refurbished.
? General areas have been upgraded including walkways, gardening, lighting, and so on!
? Buildings have been painted with warm, sophisticated colors and the roofs of the villas have been changed from palapas to tiles in order to show off their unique style.

Looks like they have improved since the original poster's visit.

woohooboo

Nov 8, 2003
Occidental

I have had the opportunity to stay at both PP and PC resorts, and I must admitt, I'm confused by cmelo's review. I personally loved it. In fact I thought they both were the best manicured resorts I have seen. The food is like everywhere, your not going to like the complete 250 things available to eat. I also have never had a standard room in the D.R. that supplied a coffee maker.
Who ever is going, it is a lovely resort. My moto when travelling to the D.R. is "NO PROBLEM" and remember you are on Dominican Time.
Brenda

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I think the point is that the original post was about a vacation in January 2003, which (without being a mathematician) was a year ago now.

It sounds like they have booked their ideas up and changed a few things.

Pamcakes0111

May 30, 2004
WARNING: Allegro Occidental - NEVER AGAIN

I feel your pain! I just returned from a week long stay at Allegro Occidental in Punta Cana. This was my second trip to the DR, first time I stayed at Fiesta Bavaro which was the best trip ever so I expected nothing less. Boy was I wrong.

First off, this resort was a 4-star for some reason while Fiesta Bavaro is only a 3-star. There is no door to the shower causing daily floods, and the bathroom door is a mere piece of glass - what's the point?

The service at Allegro Occidental was horrendous as well.

When we arrived our room wasn't ready so we were told to go get something to eat at the Topaz Buffet. When we got there, they were cleaning up the food (which I might add was covered with flys and birds pecking at the food). We were greeted by quite possibly the most rude front desk receptionists and we went off to our room.

When we got to our room, it was infested with ants, there was an unstoppable buzzing noise coming from our fan which would not turn off, and we ended up not having hot water until 4am. The next morning we found ants in our coffee pot, in our cups and crawling all over our stuff so we decided to complain and try to get a new room.

The staff made it obvious that they were uninterested in solving our problems by rolling their eyes at us, giving us horrible attitudes, and not allowing us to talk to a manager. They told us we would have a new room by the morning, needless to say three days later we still didn't have a new room. When we finally met with a manager he didn't seem to care at all how unhappy we were with our room and hastily moved us to a new room with no help from him. He sent no bellboys and had us move everything ourselves, taking about an hour out of our day. Not only that but he wouldn't give us our new room keys and told us to come back after we moved our things.

The new room was on the 2nd floor and it had plenty of problems. First the bath wouldn't drain. Not a huge problem. Then we realized that the toilet wouldn't flush.

Later on that night we thought things might get better when we went to one of the "reservation only" restaurants, Papaya. When we arrived for our 8:00 reservation we waited 20 minutes and no one had spoken to us or seated us. There was a line out the door and one man stormed out after waiting an hour for service. We went to the reservation desk to complain and she sent us back guaranteeing us better service. When we returned to Papaya an angry manager began questioning us - like we were under investigation for complaining. He then ignored our table, passing around wine to every other table in the restaurant and finally he reluctantly took our order, grabbed the menu's out of our hands and continued his rounds with the other tables.

The next night we went to the seafood restaurant and ate with palm-sized cockroaches. Patrons were jumping out of their seats while others just ran back to their rooms.

The bartenders were rude with a few exceptions and the waiters, also with few exceptions, were horrendous. The Topaz buffet bar was closed nearly every morning. When I asked for a bottle of water, a rude waiter told me to leave the restaurant and go to an open bar. Needless to say he could have easily run behind the bar to get me a bottle of water.

And then came the fun of checking out. The front desk receptionist again rolled her eyes and gave us a HUGE attitude. When we told her we were checking out she was more than thrilled.

Let me tell you that I feel your pain - this was the worst resort ever and management will be hearing from me.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Come on!!

Pamcakes0111 said:
I feel your pain! I just returned from a week long stay at Allegro Occidental in Punta Cana. This was my second trip to the DR, first time I stayed at Fiesta Bavaro which was the best trip ever so I expected nothing less. Boy was I wrong.

First off, this resort was a 4-star for some reason while Fiesta Bavaro is only a 3-star. There is no door to the shower causing daily floods, and the bathroom door is a mere piece of glass - what's the point?

The service at Allegro Occidental was horrendous as well.

When we arrived our room wasn't ready so we were told to go get something to eat at the Topaz Buffet. When we got there, they were cleaning up the food (which I might add was covered with flys and birds pecking at the food). We were greeted by quite possibly the most rude front desk receptionists and we went off to our room.

When we got to our room, it was infested with ants, there was an unstoppable buzzing noise coming from our fan which would not turn off, and we ended up not having hot water until 4am. The next morning we found ants in our coffee pot, in our cups and crawling all over our stuff so we decided to complain and try to get a new room.

The staff made it obvious that they were uninterested in solving our problems by rolling their eyes at us, giving us horrible attitudes, and not allowing us to talk to a manager. They told us we would have a new room by the morning, needless to say three days later we still didn't have a new room. When we finally met with a manager he didn't seem to care at all how unhappy we were with our room and hastily moved us to a new room with no help from him. He sent no bellboys and had us move everything ourselves, taking about an hour out of our day. Not only that but he wouldn't give us our new room keys and told us to come back after we moved our things.

The new room was on the 2nd floor and it had plenty of problems. First the bath wouldn't drain. Not a huge problem. Then we realized that the toilet wouldn't flush.

Later on that night we thought things might get better when we went to one of the "reservation only" restaurants, Papaya. When we arrived for our 8:00 reservation we waited 20 minutes and no one had spoken to us or seated us. There was a line out the door and one man stormed out after waiting an hour for service. We went to the reservation desk to complain and she sent us back guaranteeing us better service. When we returned to Papaya an angry manager began questioning us - like we were under investigation for complaining. He then ignored our table, passing around wine to every other table in the restaurant and finally he reluctantly took our order, grabbed the menu's out of our hands and continued his rounds with the other tables.

The next night we went to the seafood restaurant and ate with palm-sized cockroaches. Patrons were jumping out of their seats while others just ran back to their rooms.

The bartenders were rude with a few exceptions and the waiters, also with few exceptions, were horrendous. The Topaz buffet bar was closed nearly every morning. When I asked for a bottle of water, a rude waiter told me to leave the restaurant and go to an open bar. Needless to say he could have easily run behind the bar to get me a bottle of water.

And then came the fun of checking out. The front desk receptionist again rolled her eyes and gave us a HUGE attitude. When we told her we were checking out she was more than thrilled.

Let me tell you that I feel your pain - this was the worst resort ever and management will be hearing from me.
I really feel sorry for you. But I do have some questions: 1- Why didn't you go to another place?. 2- Since you were paying, why didn't you demand your money back at the spot?. 3- If you were paying with a credit card, leave and why not call the card company and tell them to refuse any payment to that resort?. Since you were paying good money, why didn't you demand your money's worth?. And the 1 question, again, why didn't you just leave?. Even if I had paid for everything, I would have gone to another place!!!