Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation let the riots begin.

It seems tomorrow will be a general strike day in DR (at least in santiago area). I would advice all locals to stay home and watch CNN or your favorite soap opera because I have a feeling it will get ugly tomorrow. People are fed up with the constant price hikes on everything and there seem to be no light at the end of the tunnel. I was just out of my office and the talk to the town is "huelga".
    I am going to stay home and stack up on some of my favorite movies to watch, plus all the food to eat for the next 2 days.

Note: if you folks are coming to all-inclusive resorts, you have nothing to worry about as you will never come close to the real dominican lifestyle. The riots will take place very far away from the resort areas and you people will never know what is happening in the country. So don't cancel your trip, come and enjoy the sunshine.
    have a nice day.

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

The strike will be called off. People are not really in the mood for strikes, this ain't Venezuela (not yet).

Forget about that sancocho and buying those Presidentes.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

They all would have shown up late anyway.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Among the small sampling of people I have talked with today, there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for a strike in Sosua. People say there will be a strike, but in Santo Domingo, not here.
    Vamos a ver. If I were a Dominican, I think I would be out on the road burning tires. There is a lot to protest.

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Now, what kind of idiot plans a strike for the middle of the week? Friday, on the other hand...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Friday it is then, I didn't collect all these tires to make swings.

Post Thanks / Like

Santiago has had some stuff hapening down town where no one lives...Some "leader" was taken into custody. Plenty of troops and cops onthe street. I don't think this will fly...Not like before, when they bought 100s of pounds of those"U" shaped brads for stringing barbed wire and then spent a week twisting them so that no matter how they fell they would get your tires...Naw, these guys haven't touched the mass ofpeople, YET>>>>>>

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Off to Puerto Plata airport tomorrow (Tuesday) to collect some friends coming in. I will report back as to level of discontent on the streets tomorrow night!! If it happens, I'll be on their side - I totally agree to showing 'El Presidente de camposinos' what we think of his POLICIES????? - Grahame.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The report here in Nagua is lots of bombs going off as well as gunshots. The businesses are supporting the strike as well as most of the town, which is a lot to say since this has always been a town considered to be in agreement with anything the govt does. I, for one, am closing all my businesses and catching up on some movies. But I do agree that if history were to repeat itself, we have at least four more years before the "people" hit the streets if anyone recalls the riots in 1984, which I thankfully missed by still being in the states. As a Dominican/American I can only say we will never reach the guerrilla point, but unless the economy is managed a bit moe intelligently, we are in for some heavy duty smoking tires.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sopposed to head to the campo tomorrow with a banned DR1'er. Do youy think it will be safe to travel? We are heading to the Bani area. Also another DR1'er is waiting for news if he shopuld come tomorrow on his flight. I have to send him a message and let him know in the morn so you have to let me know whats going on,

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast