Safety Summary

Mark H

Feb 4, 2003
Hello, new guy here. Been reading an awful lot.

My family(wife 38, daughter 8 and son 7 ) and I are going to Coral Costa Caribe on February 14th. I've been reading a lot, probably too much about being safe and trying to not get sick while there. The following list is a direct result of reading too much, ignorance probably is bliss at some times:

1) Bring and use bug spray.
2) Bring and use Sunscreen.
3) Don't eat the salad.
4) Don't eat raw fruits or veggies.
5) Don't eat food if it looks as though it's been out for a while.
6) Do not drink the tap water, only bottled.
7) Don't shower with your mouth open.
8) Wash hands frequently.

I'm trying to not be overly paranoid but like I said, reading too much sometimes get me into trouble.

Okay, so that's the short list. The ones that bother me the most are: 3, 4 and 7. Is it possible that fruits and vegetables are washed with purified water and do the hotels freely disclose that or is it something that you need to ask. Anyone else have any other suggestions ? Mostly interested in keeping the youguns happy and healthy while we are there.

Thanks,

Mark

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
That is a pretty good list.

3) the salad is generally not much good anyway

4) I DO eat lots of good raw fruits and the only time i had a problem was when i ate 3 avacados in one sitting.....

7) That is common sense anywhere the water is a problem, but i wouldnt get overly paranoid about it..

I would note that it is a good idea to check if the ice is made with bottled water. Most places catering to tourists at least claim that they do....

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
With regards to point one, on my first visit I bought with me what was said to be a good bug spray, but it didn't work too well. So now I use the local ones, and they are much more effective.

Points 3, 4 and 6. All of the Coral hotels use purified water, for food preparation and ice. Bottles of water are supplied to your room every day, and I have never had a problem.

I am sure you will have a fantastic time, go enjoy

Regards
Sharron

Dec 9, 2002
Here's my two pennies worth:-

1) I have tried numerous different brands available in England - even stuff that is issued by the Army - and nothing ever works for me, I still get bitten round the ankles, knees and upper arms. Now, I just accept it and don't waste my money.

2, 5, 6, 7) Common sense anyway.

3) The salads are crap.

4) Never had a problem with these, but it's probably wise to peel them all first, even if you normally eat the skin.

Just enjoy yourself and don't worry so much that it spoils your holiday.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I have found mixing some straight DEET (get it at a Army Navy or sports store) in with my sun tan lotion to be very effective. Make sure you dont over do it with that stuff though

The best suntan lotion I have ever used is a spray by Copper tone. It goes on much faster and drys instantly. I find that the lotion stuff inhibits my ability to sweat so it makes it seem much hotter. The down side is that it isnt cheap.

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
It's really a crap shoot. I eat all of the fruits and veggies and have never had a problem. Then again I might be one bad salad away from some serious time over the bowl, and I'm not talking salad bowl. Take precautions, avoid the salads, but the fruit is too good to miss. It's worth the risk.

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Mark, I find it's a good idea to get a base tan before your trip. I always try to go to a tanning salon two weeks prior to my trips. I don't use bug spray and haven't had a problem getting bitten. I also eat mucho salad and some veggies and have never been sick (knock on wood). As was mentioned bottled water is in your room plus it is available at all the bars and food venues. We have had three absolutely great vacations at the Coral Costa Caribe and I am sure you, and yours, will really enjoy your time there!!!
John:cool:

Last edited:

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Bring Immodium

As a frequent traveler to RD I sometimes have no idea how I have gotten sick. Immodium is always in my luggage. Another tip is to rinse your toothbrush with bottled water.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Use 45 Sun Screen, lots of it.
2) Bug spary is a good idea if out in morning or early evening or when a sitting duck for the mosquitos.
3) Calamine lotion if bitten--Do not scratch!!
4) Salads? Never had a problem and I eat mostly salads at the buffet.
5) Fruits. Here I like to eat fruits I can peel. So that is bananas, oranges Grapefruits, Melons. If I don't peel it, I am somewhat suspect. Have never had a problem however.
6) The water at the South Shore hotels basically sucks. It is salty. So bottled water is the rule....Don't worry about bathing, a little water is not going to kill you, for goodness sakes.
7) That is a nice place and I think you will have fun there. Get out and see the surrounding area, too. There is the Metro and Guavaberry Golf Clubs nearby...might give you ideas.
8) You will have a good time, so enjoy it....

HB

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
MarkH: We've been to DR twice and going down again Feb 9 for 2 weeks.

I got really really sick in Cancun once and was apprehensive about the DR, but... we ate salad every day and never got sick. We've eaten all the fruits with no problem either.

I think it is perfectly fine to brush your teeth with tap water. We don't take a big swallow, but using tap water to rinse mouth out has been ok.

Also, you can use tap water for making coffee, since the boiling water kills the germs. We did this for a week and were fine.

Our teenagers got a little puny when we were there in November, but I think it was all the beer drinking that two 20 year olds did since legal age is 18 down there.

Bug spray - we've never used it and have never been bit. In fact, we couldn't believe how few insects we saw! (we've were in DR April and November - maybe those were off seasons for bugs).

As far as what NOT to eat, I learned on this message board not to buy meat from street-side vendors, but fruit/veg's ok.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I agree with JanH I brushed my teeth with tap water sometimes it was filtered other times not, just don't swallow. You don't have to rinse you toothbruth with bottled water as long as it dries no bateria will survive. I basically lived in the countryside for 2 1/2 years and ate everything and anything and never got that sick. I do caution you may get sick if you just overate any one thing, which I tend to do when it comes to mangoes.

I would bring long sleeve shirts for dusk and dawn to help against mosquitoes it helps. Some say if you start taking B 12 or 6 vitamins about two weeks before your trip you'll emit an odor which they don't like and will be kinder to you.

Relax, lay back and enjoy the sights, sounds and ceverza.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
When we first started coming here with young kids (younger than yours at the time), we carried some 'baby-wipes' or 'easy-wipes' along to wipe their hands every now and again, especially after handling fruit at local fruit stands. Never had a problem. We've lived here now for four months and your young 'uns should be fine if you follow the sensible suggestions in the previous posts.

Dec 9, 2002
Some say if you start taking B 12 or 6 vitamins about two weeks before your trip you'll emit an odor which they don't like and will be kinder to you.
I tried that too - didn't work for me!

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
DB it didn't work for me either and I wasn't too keen on apply a lot of DEET so my best defense was long sleeves and pants at dusk and dawn and I ususally had to problems.