Spanish schools

hydeac

Feb 5, 2003
I live in California and would really appreciate a recommendation on where to attend spanish schools in the DR. I would like to be in a beach town that is not too overcrowded. I was looking at Las Terrenas. Any suggestions? Thanks...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
By Spanish schools, do you mean a school you can attend to learn Spanish. There is an excellent school in Sosua http://www.edase.com/english/sosua.htm

If you didn't want to live in Sosua, you could live in Cabarete, a very delightful beach town only a few miles away. Travel between two towns very easy and inexpensive with public transportation.

hydeac

Feb 5, 2003
thanks

Thank you for the replies. I had tried to contact a school in Las Terrenas, but no replie from them. I've heard that the beachs in Sosua are not as nice as Las Terrenas. Is this true in your opinion?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The beach in Las Terrenas is much longer, about 30 km, so there are fewer people in any particular part of the beach. But I wouldn't say it is nicer.

If you are looking for a school were you can learn Spanish, or build on the Spanish base you already have, I think Sosua is a much better choice that Las Terrenas.

An option to living in Sosua is to live in nearby Cabarete. Great beach there, and a nice laid-back atmosphere. Easy to get back and forth between Sosua and Cabarete by public transportation. Only 7 pesos each way, which at present rate of exchange is about 35 cents US.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Another choice is Cabarete itself. Its a nice town to live in - small but lots of things happening. There is a small Spanish School, one Professor really and it is your choice whether he puts you in a class or whether you take individual lessons. His rates are very reasonable. He also tailors classes to your level of competence.

He has done wonders with me! He also teaches English and German to locals. So, not much of a school in the usual sense in Cabarete, but My Spanish Professor is the best Professor around! In my humble opinion :)

hydeac

Feb 5, 2003
one more question!

Do you both know the names of the schools you recommend so I can look at them on the internet or contact them someway? I want to book ahead of time. Thanks so much again!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The link to the school that I recommend is in my first post. Judging from the description by Chris, I would say there is probably zero percent change the teacher has a website. This is the Dominican Republic, not the US. Very, very few small businesses have websites. There is no reason for them to have one.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It is Monday - sorry for posting twice - see, I did not read your note twice - only once - so, I missed out on your second question :) - Ok, Ok - It's Monday...

It is not necessary to book ahead of time. The professor at Coral Languages Institute in Cabarete will make time for you.

joey

Apr 9, 2002
Ken - What would lodging costs run in Cabarete if I were interested in taking Spanish classes for a few weeks? Thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
joey, someone else will have better knowledge than I do regarding cheap lodging in Cabarete. In Sosua you can get lodging for US$20/night or less.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
There is a small lodging house/wind surfers accommodation that some of my friends have stayed in. It is called Banana Boat and is $15.00 a night. Nice people run the place and although it is basic accommodation, they keep the general riff raff out. It is right in the middle of town. (No hot showers but a clean room and bathroom, shared kitchen facilities and shared laundry facilities)