Salom? Ure?a

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I just finished reading the book "In the Name of Salom?" by Julia Alvarez and her story really interested me.

Now, I know that she is a very real individual and she has her poems published, but I do not know the entire story of her.

Does anyone know her history and could explain it briefly? I know that she wrote patriotic poems during the revolutionary times and had them published in the papers, what's the entire story?

Also, do children currently learn about her or study her work in school?

Thanks for any info!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Yes, we do learn about her. Her role as an educator and founder of the first school for female teachers are more important in my eyes than the quality of her literature. Interesting family that was... very brainy.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Thanks Pib!

I just wanted to compare the truth of what was written in the book to her real history. It was a very, very interesting story of her life and that of her families.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
She was talked about with reverence by the woman whom we stayed with last summer. She even got out a book of hers and recited some poetry. Of course, this woman was an educator herself. Perhaps that had something to do with it.