US "terror alert" status raised

Status
Not open for further replies.

WendyPavo

Dec 13, 2002
FYI -
Washington's getting pretty worked-up about some recent intelligence reports. As of mid-day today, the "terror alert" status has been raised to orange (the 2nd highest level).
These are a few excerpts from USA Today:
Attorney General John Ashcroft cited an "increased likelihood" that the al-Qaeda terror network would attack Americans, either at home or abroad. Ashcroft said apartment buildings, hotels or other "lightly secured targets" in the United States could be vulnerable. The attorney general also said terrorists might seek "economic targets, including the transportation and energy sectors, as well as symbolic targets and symbols of American power.
"This decision for an increased threat condition designation is based on specific intelligence received and analyzed by the full intelligence community. This information has been corroborated by multiple intelligence sources," Ashcroft said."
Government officials have grown increasingly concerned about the likelihood of terrorist attacks within the United States as intelligence sources are reporting an increase in terrorist activity or "chatter." One official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said this activity appeared to be peaking and was rivaling that seen before the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks.
Officials are increasingly worried that al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups might try to use chemical, biological or radiological weapons such as a "dirty bomb" that spews radiation into the atmosphere over a relatively confined area."

.... glad I'm leaving tomorrow for two weeks in Puerto Vallarta!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
In Sosua we aren't worrying about terrorists, other than those who are pushing this country deeper into a financial hole.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
They didn't see 9/11 coming and if they did they didn't tell anyone. Keep eyes opened but carry on with life. When we die we die. My daughter left this afternoon for NJ and that's what she tried telling me but I'm a Mom and it's my job to worry ;)

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Damn the torpedoes.

Lilian & I came to the Samana shortly after 9-11. They didn't deter us then & they sure as hell won't now. I'll just spend extra money for spite & help the economy. What's a case of Presidente going for these days. As we used to say in pig Latin, Nil Illegitemes Carborundum.

Plus..... What Anna said! Stan.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
I hope I'm right

in thinking that it smells more like a battle cry for an offensive in Irak than escalation of threat.

Just in case I moved the family from NJ to S. Florida, and from there we'll motor over to SD and seek shelter in "Los Tres Ojos";)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re: I hope I'm right

socuban said:
in thinking that it smells more like a battle cry for an offensive in Irak than escalation of threat.

I don't think so. Too much of the intelligence on which the higher security level is based came from Europe, including from countries like France and Germany that are presently opposed to war with Iraq.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I live in nyc and I'll tell you I am nervous.I am afraid that this is going to get verrry ugly.I just hope that our intelligence is good enough to thwart terror plans before they are carried out.I am afraid that Iraq/Al Queda is npot going to wait for us to officially declare war but hit us first.This is going to be very bad.When the shit hits the fan I would much rather be in Sosua watching the action on CNN and drinking an ice cold Presedente than here.
Larry

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
I will make my first trip to the DR Feb. 18th. When I heard of the elevated alert, my first thought was to check my list and make sure I have done all I can for my own safety. But I will NOT allow terrorists to rule my life! If it is my time to go, so be it.

My guts tell me time is definitely running out for Iraq (and US citizens). I have a feeling it will all "hit the fan" around Feb. 14. It will be another one of those times when you remember where you were when you heard the news. I just hope they don't shut down international flights. I can understand holding flights for the Middle East, but others should be allowed to run. Let the passengers and crew decide if it is too risky to fly. Heavens, who says that only air flights are in jeopardy? What are we going to do, put our lives on hold indefinitely? Not me.

Only 10 days to go-------come hell or high water!

Tondra

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Reality TV

Flying has never been safer, I wouldn't worry about that whatsoever.

I tend to think these alerts are manufactured by the government to scare the hell out of people and get them wanting blood as bad as GW wants it.

Politics.

I'll go further in saying that the terrorists have won the war already in my opinion. They poured real-life terror (reality TV) into the TV sets of the world and the media just hypes it up even more, expounding on the fear.

Civil liberties are gone, people are scared to fly and travel, new lines are being drawn between people of the faiths involved. The government now can watch every move you make, everything you say, what roads you travel on, where you shop, who you know. I find traveling now to be absurdly difficult (necessary I guess) with inexplicably long lines, bag checks being nothing short of invasive.

Now instead of checking the wind chill or pollen count before you go away for the weekend you have to determine the likelihood of a terrorist attack on your picnic.

Think of it in terms of a foreign threat being more "invasive" in our every day lives and (perhaps my focus/experience is limited) it seems to me this is the worst affect any threat has ever posed.

Agreed?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Re: Reality TV

Cleef said:
Flying has never been safer, I wouldn't worry about that whatsoever.

I tend to think these alerts are manufactured by the government to scare the hell out of people and get them wanting blood as bad as GW wants it.

Politics.

I'll go further in saying that the terrorists have won the war already in my opinion. They poured real-life terror (reality TV) into the TV sets of the world and the media just hypes it up even more, expounding on the fear.

Civil liberties are gone, people are scared to fly and travel, new lines are being drawn between people of the faiths involved. The government now can watch every move you make, everything you say, what roads you travel on, where you shop, who you know. I find traveling now to be absurdly difficult (necessary I guess) with inexplicably long lines, bag checks being nothing short of invasive.

Now instead of checking the wind chill or pollen count before you go away for the weekend you have to determine the likelihood of a terrorist attack on your picnic.

Think of it in terms of a foreign threat being more "invasive" in our every day lives and (perhaps my focus/experience is limited) it seems to me this is the worst affect any threat has ever posed.

Agreed?
I dont think the govt is fabricating the terrorist threats to gain support out of fear.

I do agree that flying is safe.

I dont find the long lines invasive but necessary.That is why flying is safe.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.