Good timing for an SUV buy?

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
I'm considering upgrading my mid-size 4 door sedan to a SUV or pick up truck. I do about 60% city, 40% campo driving when in the country.

With the increase in fuel prices and the general cost of living in the DR, would I find a bargain in the SUV market now or should I procrastinate (wait for Hippo to totally ruin the country to the point they're giving them away)?

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
suck it in

I personally don't expect them to lower the taxes on new SUV's. But who knows? Regarding used ones, oops, my crystal ball just got fuzzy, I guess it would take a more educated guess than mine to say. Personally, I am just trying to tighten my belt a bit while mantaining a decent standard of living. I would opt for the pick-up(I now drive a dual cab pickup).

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Here it is

Perhaps you just missed the boat. Used and new car prices just went up 30% because of the dollar rate and runaway(almost) inflation.

Customs is now charging more for duties and there are no dollars in the streets.

TW

T

TiberiusMineola

Golo correct?? Perhaps not??

I disagree with Golo. I think that MV prices, SUVs & others, will nearly always reflect the value of the MV in US $ - for good or evil. I've had a diesel SUV with a 5 speed manual transmission for 3 + years; in my opinion, the near perfect SUV for this coutry. Food for thought: start reading the classified ads in LISTIN, & perhaps other newspapers; there's a seperate heading for Jeepetas [SUVs]; you can usually find some attractive prices; at times, an owner has to leave the country?? Or, received a company vehicle. If you're in Santo Domingo, where most of the SUVs are located, take a look, then a test drive, then have a mechanic inspect it [compression test!!]. Don't make an offer, wait a few days, then call the seller & offer him @ 60% of what's he's asking. You can find some SUVs [ 2 - 5 years old] in VG condition, @ reasonable prices, with patience & persistence. Good hunting.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
TiberiusMineola

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've had a diesel SUV with a 5 speed manual transmission for 3 + years; in my opinion, the near perfect SUV for this coutry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good advice, thanks! I was thinking SUV, something like a Prado or Landcruiser, but I know I'll get more use out of a crew cab diesel p/u like yours, especially around the mountains and coastal areas. Haven't seen many full size p/u though.