Pictures: POP School for the Deaf

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Very nice pictures! Make sure you post some up when you return after your next trip as well. Keep up the good work :)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Too bad my wife and I are no longer together. She is a Certified Rehab Counselor and a Licensed Speech Therapist. She always wanted to work with the deaf population.

Great pics. Looks pretty well done and appears to be on the right track.

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
Thank you for your responses and I will post some pictures from my next visit to the school this coming April.

In regards to Jazzcom's response about his wife being a Certified Rehab Counsellor and Licensed Speech Therapist. I am sure your wife has good intentions and means well when she says that she wants to work with the Deaf population. However, many people have the misconception that Deaf people should talk or learn to speak. Deaf people use a visual language, called American Sign Language( used in North America) which has its own syntax and grammar structure and when deaf people use this language to communicate they are "speaking" actually signing!! Why would they want to learn to speak in English when they cannot hear themselves speak? English is a phonetic language. Deaf people do not expect all people who can hear to learn sign language but hearing people tend to expect that Deaf people can LIp read or actually speak! There used to be a place called Martha's Vineyard where the communities population was half Deaf and half Hearing. Each and every person in that village used Sign language to communicate. Stores, libraries, hospitals, police and schools. To read more about the history of this place :

http://deafness.about.com/library/weekly/aa100802.htm

I hope that this post has/will increased people's understanding of Deaf people in some way. Thanks for reading!

Rosanie

Last edited:

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Rosanie,

In some cases (such as my husband's), he was not allowed to learn the language of the Deaf. His parents expected him to learn to lip read and speak. He was mainstreamed early and spent years in speech therapy.

While no one would ever mistake him of having perfect speech, he is often treated as if he should be able to hear because he can speak. He can't "hear". His hearing aids capture and amplify sounds but not the shapes of words. He relies so heavily on lipreading and body language that after a long day of talking, he'll pass out from exhaustion. And you can imagine the frustration he can feel when he encounters those who think he should be able to hear them. You know the type: impatient, rude, and self-serving. (I'm married to him and I have days when I am that person :()

My husband didn't have the choice, he was raised "Oral". He only learned sign at RIT (signed English). To this day he says he feels "neither Deaf nor Hearing". He says, "In my perfect world, everyone would sign to me and let me talk to them."

I thank you for educating the board on this issue. There are many facets to it and my husband is one example. I hope we can build more bridges between Deaf and Hearing relationships (in the workplace, socially, etc.) It really IS another language and culture!!

If you want to communicate effectively with someone who can't hear, slow down and let them see your mouth clearly so they can lipread. Be patient and willing to write things down or repeat if need be. This is IF you can't sign. Don't give the Hearing population a bad name (sort of like the Ugly American.)

MaineGirl