Beg your pardon, but how much

jrshd9

Oct 31, 2002
I know it's been asked before so when you blast p, please be gentle. How much cash needed for a two week stay and how should it be broken up, US RSD Traveler checks??

Thanks

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Figure about US$500.00 for decent lodging and US$1500.00 for other expenses (Food, drinks, transportation etc.) US$ travellers checks (100's) is fine. Have a nice trip.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
50/50

Everybody is different so I can't tell you how much but I usually bring 50% in cash and 50% in travelers checks just in case .....

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
jrshd9 said:
I know it's been asked before so when you blast p, please be gentle. How much cash needed for a two week stay and how should it be broken up, US RSD Traveler checks??

Thanks

For All Inclusive not a lot other than trips and taxis and shopping (outside the resort if you want to pay a decent price and haggle, BTW).

Non AI and assuming you pay the hotel with VISA, then meals are about RD$100 each ($4-5) not a lot different frankly between breakfast, lunch or dinner, depends how you eat , beers are RD$30 ($1.5-2) and if you don't pay with VISA a hotel may be $30-$50 US plus ITBIS 12% a day. A bottle of good rum is RD$80 ($4).

Use US$ AMEX travelers checks and prepare to show ID at the cambio though if you frequent the smae one eventually they don't bother with ID - I actually use a photocopy of my passport as the real McCoy stays locked up.

If they have a GOOD safe in the room then you can take all cash if you want and lock it up otherwise a few hundred $ in US and the rest in TC's and go every day or 2 to get pesos. I would NOT buy RD$ travelers check (if they exist) for 2 reasons, I have never seen them and maybe cambios may not want to cash them and the peso is too volatile and buying them ahead you could be overpaying for them. Also if you don't spend them all what use are they when you get home? None.

I carry all excess cash in an inside the trousers money pouch - not a money belt but a pouch that hangs from the belt, between the inside of the pants and your thigh. Invisible practically.

Put the cash, ID and travelers checks in a Ziploc bag first so they don't get sweaty. Keep all change, keys, etc. out and you can even go though the metal detector and they won't set it off as it is all paper/plastic.

Magellans sells them online and most travel shops do too.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
average day for me

Expenses for day: US dollars approximations(not first or last day with taxi from Airport)
hotel: 35-45 non AI in BC, 65 for Napolitano in SD
Food: 2 meals is about all I can eat, 10
Beer/Drinks: 25
Motoconchos: 4
Tips(maid/waitress, drink at many different places, etc): 10
So I will say for essentials for me: 90US day
Then there is always money spent on recreation: nightlife, dates, etc but that may not be for every traveler
I always bring half money in Traveler's checks, other in cash. Bring my debit card and Visa card as well for back up. Keep everything locked up and if there is no type of safe/strong box. Don't stay at the hotel. Bring photocopy of passport. Never carry a lot of money with you at a time. I always carry around 50 on my person. Taxis from SDQ to Santo Domingo or Boca Chica shouldn't be more than 400 pesos. Since the peso is devaluating I am using higher figure now, last time I paid 300 pesos to and from airport, SDQ to BC when rate was 20 pesos to a dollar. Have fun on your trip.
dale7(less than 230hours)