Residency vs. Citizenship

TM3

Nov 21, 2002
From http://dr1.com/legal/migration/citizenship.shtml

Law 1683 dated 1948 and its modifications establishes that a person is eligible to obtain Dominican nationality after:

1) Having resided in the country for at least six months after having obtained legal domicile (permanent residence card).

2) Having resided continually in the country for at least two years.

...etc.

In the second point, "after having obtained legal domicile" is not specifically mentioned. Does this mean that a person is automatically entitled to citizenship once they have resided (stayed) in the country for two years, even if they did not obtain legal domicile in the form of a permanent residence card? Can anyone clarify this for me?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As I recall, you are not able to get Dominican Citizenship WITHOUT first obtaining "Permanent Resisidency" status. You would have to have that before progressing on to Citizenship. Why do you think you need Citizenship anyway? I think the only advantages citizenship really offers is a passport & the right to vote!!
E-mail me or PM me if you want more. - Grahame.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A foreign national who has been a legal resident in the Dominican Republic for two years or in certain cases, six months, may apply for Dominican citizenship (naturalization). Normally, two years of legal residence is the minimum required, meaning that at the time the application is submitted the applicant must be have permanent resident status. There are many exceptions, however, to this rule, for example, if the applicant:

a) is married to a Dominican,
b) owns real estate or a business in the Dominican Republic,
c) serves in the armed forces.

In all these cases, six months of legal residence is sufficient.