Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TiberiusMineola

Question Peregrine?? Where are you?

Years ago, when DR1 was a weekly print newspaper, there was a regular weekly column by a Btritish national, believed to be a male; the format was a letter from a Dominican residing Brit to his 'aintie' in London, UK, usually desribing some absurd aspect of Dominican life to a sympathetic relative. The column was always entertintinng, sometimes hialrious. Th grasp of detail, humor, frustration, & resignation was unique. Where is Peregrine? Still with us? Returned to the UK? Advanced to his eternal reward? If not available, it would be fun to read some of the Peregrine columns of 3 - 6- 9 years ago. Alas, not much has changed here - at least to many expats. Thank you.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You Mean the Santo Domingo News.
    I use to read his column on occaision. It as fairly entertaining but it did bother me how he would always insert an swipe at the US in almost every column.
    He hit his low point when he claimed that the DR was stupid for using "US Style" electrical outlets and that is was some type of American conspiracy to keep the people in the DR down because, as everybody knows, European style outlets are much better.

aka - shadley
    Post Thanks / Like

poor tony, he doesnt deal well with satire...

Rob, those would make great reprints, i would love to read them

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

The past is the past and that's how it will remain young shadley.

Now stop bugging Yoda!

Post Thanks / Like

Tiberius, try:

http://dr1.com/living/shopping/4.shtml

on this very site. Quite good I thought, especially the bit about blocking the aisle with your shopping trolley.

Chiri

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Tiberius,
    You refer to our Anthony (I'm not sure if that is 'th' or 't' type Anthony - I can't remember) Bispham. He used to write under the pseudonim of Liam O'Flarety in other sections of the paper (I seem to recall he was the Editor of Santo Domingo news & Puerto Plata Nrews) but always to his "Auntie" in England as Peregin. Rumour has it that he had a dissagreement with Dolores over something & left in a 'Huff'. I understand he hit a fairly rough spot in his life afterwards & only contacted me once - about 3 years ago.
    I don't know if he is still on his 'OLD' Telephone No. in Santo Domingo, if he is, I am sure he would welcome some encouraging words - maybe a help on to the work ladder too. Drop me a line by e-mail & I'll check if he is still on the Sto. Dgo. number for you.
    Yeah, a bit of a "waffler" our Anthony, but as I recall, his heart was in the right place. - Grahame (ex-contributor to Puerto Plata News along with the inimitable Ginnie Bedggood).

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Bush Baby, I seem to recall that a woman MD was the original Peregrine, later replaced by Anthony Bispham.

A story I did on Hotel Gran Bahia in one of my Samana Notes columns was the focus for one of her pieces.

Post Thanks / Like

This is from the genuine Peregrine. The only one that ever wrote in the SDN. The weekly articles called 'Letter to London' started with edition 1042 in May 1991 They finished in June/July 1997. The reason is well known to Dolores and, I am sure, Robert. But my lips will remain sealed.
    I have often been asked to restart them. But, unfortunately, there is no longer a suitable medium in the DR. Peregrine has moved on since then. The writer never changed and speculation that the writer was a woman at one time is rather amusing. Why poor old Anthony Bispham, the best managing editor the SDN ever had, is mentioned, is even more amusing. I am no longer solely based in in Santo Domingo, my life is more peripatetic in nature. I only heard about these messages because my attention was brought to them by those who are still hooked readers. To those who would like to see them repeated, I technically own the copyright but would not invoke such an irritation. So DR1 is quite free to publish them. But you have seen Robert's reply. perhaps he should be pressed for his reasons. That, however, is up to those who would enjoy them. They are certainly still available.
    To bring you up to date Samantha went to England to take up a Chair in Juju studies at her old college in Oxford. She has been replaced by Salome, another black beauty, who is a Professor in Voodoo and Santeria at Duchess University in North Carolina.
    Lilana's husband died and she is living very comfortably on a Royal Naval pension. For those who would like to know more, then Coco's English restaurant usually know my whereabouts. They might even tell you how I may be reached, if you care to establish yourself as a regular patron.on a regular .
    By the way. They is a chap who writes in this 'spider's web' called Timex. It has been suggested that my article 'Can You Hack It', published in the second half of 1996 might bring him down to earth. I wonder if this note will get through the supervisor of this board.

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, used to read those columns, and often disliked the anti-US tone. However, the humor always brought me back.
    I think that such a valuable source of good writing and good humor should be preserved. Unfortunately, it looks as if this poster will not post here. A shame....we could do with a little Brit humour...

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

We have all the old editions of the Santo Domingo News (27 years), unfortunately they are all in paper form. The job to scan and OCR these newspapers would be massive, extremely time consuming and expensive.

If someone is willing to sit down and scan approx 1,500 newspapers (25x2x1500=75,000 pages) and do the necessary archiving work, I'm more than happy to supply them with a PC/Scanner, comfortable chair and a great environment to work in. I guess it would be at least 2 years work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast