Peregrine?? Where are you?

T

TiberiusMineola

Years ago, when DR1 was a weekly print newspaper, there was a regular weekly column by a Btritish national, believed to be a male; the format was a letter from a Dominican residing Brit to his 'aintie' in London, UK, usually desribing some absurd aspect of Dominican life to a sympathetic relative. The column was always entertintinng, sometimes hialrious. Th grasp of detail, humor, frustration, & resignation was unique. Where is Peregrine? Still with us? Returned to the UK? Advanced to his eternal reward? If not available, it would be fun to read some of the Peregrine columns of 3 - 6- 9 years ago. Alas, not much has changed here - at least to many expats. Thank you.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
You Mean the Santo Domingo News.
I use to read his column on occaision. It as fairly entertaining but it did bother me how he would always insert an swipe at the US in almost every column.
He hit his low point when he claimed that the DR was stupid for using "US Style" electrical outlets and that is was some type of American conspiracy to keep the people in the DR down because, as everybody knows, European style outlets are much better.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Tiberius,
You refer to our Anthony (I'm not sure if that is 'th' or 't' type Anthony - I can't remember) Bispham. He used to write under the pseudonim of Liam O'Flarety in other sections of the paper (I seem to recall he was the Editor of Santo Domingo news & Puerto Plata Nrews) but always to his "Auntie" in England as Peregin. Rumour has it that he had a dissagreement with Dolores over something & left in a 'Huff'. I understand he hit a fairly rough spot in his life afterwards & only contacted me once - about 3 years ago.
I don't know if he is still on his 'OLD' Telephone No. in Santo Domingo, if he is, I am sure he would welcome some encouraging words - maybe a help on to the work ladder too. Drop me a line by e-mail & I'll check if he is still on the Sto. Dgo. number for you.
Yeah, a bit of a "waffler" our Anthony, but as I recall, his heart was in the right place. - Grahame (ex-contributor to Puerto Plata News along with the inimitable Ginnie Bedggood).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Bush Baby, I seem to recall that a woman MD was the original Peregrine, later replaced by Anthony Bispham.

A story I did on Hotel Gran Bahia in one of my Samana Notes columns was the focus for one of her pieces.

Peregrine

Feb 14, 2003
This is from the genuine Peregrine. The only one that ever wrote in the SDN. The weekly articles called 'Letter to London' started with edition 1042 in May 1991 They finished in June/July 1997. The reason is well known to Dolores and, I am sure, Robert. But my lips will remain sealed.
I have often been asked to restart them. But, unfortunately, there is no longer a suitable medium in the DR. Peregrine has moved on since then. The writer never changed and speculation that the writer was a woman at one time is rather amusing. Why poor old Anthony Bispham, the best managing editor the SDN ever had, is mentioned, is even more amusing. I am no longer solely based in in Santo Domingo, my life is more peripatetic in nature. I only heard about these messages because my attention was brought to them by those who are still hooked readers. To those who would like to see them repeated, I technically own the copyright but would not invoke such an irritation. So DR1 is quite free to publish them. But you have seen Robert's reply. perhaps he should be pressed for his reasons. That, however, is up to those who would enjoy them. They are certainly still available.
To bring you up to date Samantha went to England to take up a Chair in Juju studies at her old college in Oxford. She has been replaced by Salome, another black beauty, who is a Professor in Voodoo and Santeria at Duchess University in North Carolina.
Lilana's husband died and she is living very comfortably on a Royal Naval pension. For those who would like to know more, then Coco's English restaurant usually know my whereabouts. They might even tell you how I may be reached, if you care to establish yourself as a regular patron.on a regular .
By the way. They is a chap who writes in this 'spider's web' called Timex. It has been suggested that my article 'Can You Hack It', published in the second half of 1996 might bring him down to earth. I wonder if this note will get through the supervisor of this board.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I, too, used to read those columns, and often disliked the anti-US tone. However, the humor always brought me back.
I think that such a valuable source of good writing and good humor should be preserved. Unfortunately, it looks as if this poster will not post here. A shame....we could do with a little Brit humour...

HB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We have all the old editions of the Santo Domingo News (27 years), unfortunately they are all in paper form. The job to scan and OCR these newspapers would be massive, extremely time consuming and expensive.

If someone is willing to sit down and scan approx 1,500 newspapers (25x2x1500=75,000 pages) and do the necessary archiving work, I'm more than happy to supply them with a PC/Scanner, comfortable chair and a great environment to work in. I guess it would be at least 2 years work.

Peregrine

Feb 14, 2003
Robert is trying to paint a miserable boring picture about recovering the Peregrine articles for republication. His real reasons are open to your speculation. But, for a start, most of the newspapers were bound in hard covers volume by volume, under the auspices of Frank Moya Pons, when he started the archives financed by the Banco Popular. I think the Banco took loose copies for their archives. They may even have put all those newspapers on disc (disk in Usawrite) by now. His whole set up was very well organised. The last time I visited the place was in 1999. That would be the easist way of gaining access to them. But if that is not to the liking of DR1, which used to have very good relations with Frank, then there are always the bound volumes which surely remain in their possession.
For a start, one would not have to search every page. The postion of 'Letter to London' is clearly indicated on each front page. very rarely an error was made in that respect, but 99.99%are quite accurate.
The article always took up less than one page, so it would be only one scan in each case.
I cannot remember them all, but other people do for various reasons. Gunness the brewers, were amazed when I reported their presence here when it was supposed to be secret. They had that article translated into 'camposino' for the benefit of their stockists around the country.
Someone on this suite of message boards is worried about the disposal of his mortal remains after his denise. One article was about a well-known character who died in the middle of a converation at Drake's. We took him back to his wife and then held a West Afircan style bicycle funeral. He was eventually lowerd into the oggin just off the Malecon. By the way, Lord Lucon has gone back to Paraguay. He has been reinstated as the Captain of that country's only nuclear submarine. His stay in Santo Domingo was reported by a naive British holiday maker, which resulted in a rather sheepish call from Scotland Yard.
Oh yes, Robert, why are you so reluctant to let others enjoy those happy days? I have reduced the project from 75,000 to about 250+ pages. Why worry about people recalling a proper newspaper? Nobody expects you to be able to recreate that!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
OGM (Banco Popular) never archived the newspapers, so they only remain in print form.

If we ever archive the Santo Domingo News, then it will be done in it's entirety, but certainly not to bring back one column that ended over 5 years ago along with the newspaper.

"His real reasons are open to your speculation."
"Oh yes, Robert, why are you so reluctant to let others enjoy those happy days?"
It's purely financial and a question of resources, I have already stated that I'm more than happy to provide the hardware if someone is willing to provide the hours.

DR1 has moved on, it's that simple...

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
O/T reply. Nothing to do with the D.R.

Hello, Peregrine

No need to return my PM, I found the article and read it.
Which was very good by the way.

http://dr1.com/living/moving/2.shtml

I can only assume now, when you said
By the way. They is a chap who writes in this 'spider's web' called Timex. It has been suggested that my article 'Can You Hack It', published in the second half of 1996 might bring him down to earth. I wonder if this note will get through the supervisor of this board.

That you consider me one of those rabbits.:bunny:

I was fortunate enough to spend 8 years in the U.S. Navy, as a Nuclear Propulsion Officer, as a young single man, leaving the country for a 9 month tour out at sea, the schedule was pretty much the same, 2 weeks out, 2 weeks in port. In that time I visited more Foreign countries than there are U.S. States. I had some real experiences. 1986 onboard the U.S. Archerfish, one of three nuclear submarines stuck in a hole of ice, four feet thick, at the North Pole. 45 days of absolute cold, a science expedition we were told, 3 layers of clothes and blankets when you went to your bunk. Outings topside, dressed in the latest Artic gear and Cosmoline smeared all over your face to prevent frostbite. After a half an hour you could not tell where the heavens met the earth, everything was just white. Forget about what going to the head involved. Since I could only watch Walt Disney?s, Bambi so many times, I spent allot of time reading out at sea.

In port was a different story. One time we cruised to La Maddalena, Italy. Some of my mates and I, took 4 days of Liberty and drove to a town called, Barry, where by midnight I was arrested for playing Pokymon with the Mayors daughter. Striped, thrown in a cell, and fire hose and electric cattle prod fitness program applied, I thought it was over. I had visions of winding up like the Americans in the ?Midnight Express?. I was grateful when someone from the U.S. Embassy demanded my release the next morning, drove me back to the ship, and explained to the Captain why we were under orders to leave port, two weeks early.

But that was after, being sent to the British Nuclear Submarine, H.M.S. Spartan, as a part of the Navy Exchange Sailor program. Traded with an Officer on that ship to take his duty for 6 months. No one can drink or party, like the people of South Hampton. I still remember the feeling I had the first time I walked into the Officers Wardroom on that ship, two kegs of tapped ale mounted securly in the wall (officers can drink at their own pace out at sea!).
All because, I read, Jules Verne?s, 20,000 leagues under the sea, as a kid.

After picking up too many Rads, I became ineligible for sea duty, shore command wasn?t for me, and so I resigned. After going back to Civilian life, and working various positions in manufacturing companies, I bought an old molding machine and Bridgeport, milling machine. I rented a corner of some one else building and went into the molding business.

After about 8 years, I had my own place, 40 employees, I took on a partner, and had just bought another small molding company. That?s where I met my wife, she was the Q.C. Manager for that company. She spoke perfect English, had become a U.S. Citizen, and holds Bachelors in Engineering, from NYU. I now had 80 employees, 24 molding machines and a 65,000 Sqf facility.
Do you know what it's like to have to reach into your own pocket to cover this weeks payroll for $ 36,500. because some of your customers are not paying thier bills on time?

One of my customers at the time, now my employer, spent a number of years convincing me to work for him down in the D.R. I accepted for one reason only.

Right after I left the service, while driving hard though life, my parents became sick. First Dad then Mom. 15 years of running them to Hospitals, Doctors, Monthly prescription bills too the tune of $ 3200. (No B.S. there!). I finally got some insurance on them, also, managed home care 24/7, and I am still taking care of all of their monetary responsibilities and needs. After allot of encouragement from my folks, I told my younger brother,
after 15 years of taking care of them, It?s your turn to swing the bat, I?m going to the D.R.

As far as coming back to earth, I never left! In reading some of your articles, I would guess that the biggest differences between you and I would be, listed As follows.

1, You are much more articulating with the words, than I am.
2, You are probably much older than me. Although I have gone through too much, at my age.

As far as the comment from the article.
6. Recognize that as an expatriate you are superior to those who stay cozily at home.

I am superior to no one. In fact, I can tell you, when we put our pants on, we do it exactly the same way.
1 leg at time brother..... 1 leg at a time.

And if you read my post about moving here, I never complained about anything, I wrote about. Only my wife did, and she was born and raised here!

And my friends at home are too envious of my living here to comprehend what it really takes to make it work. No matter how I explain it, the answer is almost always the same
Yeah, but your real lucky! I wish I could live on a tropical island!

about your remark 'spider's web' , I think this is one of the greatest tools to come along in my lifetime. I use this tool, more than the telephone!
You might want to think about apdapting and upgrading, your old hard drive.

As far as coming here, I would do it again. Without a doubt!

You have my e-mail, in the PM I sent you. If you?re in the D.R. sometime and ever want to get together, let me know. As old as I feel, I still learn something new each day.

Thanks
Tim H.
The Rabbit :bunny:

P.S.
I just read your reply to my PM, the offer above still stands. If you ever have the time.

Sincerly
Tim H.

Last edited:

Peregrine

Feb 14, 2003
'We have moved on' declares Robert. 'Bully for you,' say I, 'but to where?' Certainly not to a fount of erudition! There is no such verb 'to archive'. 'Archive' is noun which refers to any collection of records, gathered together by any means. Certainly not specifically, electronic. That may indicate in which direction things have 'moved' since the days of the NEWS.
I do thank Mr Timex, for his praise of the 'Can you hack it' article but, unfortunately, it was not written by me! Nevertheless, it was written by the then Managing Editor, Anthony Bispham, and I he was very pleased about your favourable criticiism. I invited him to view it himself, but he refused. He said that participating in this type of medium was akin to telephoning a wireless chat programme, and 'Gentlemen, just did not do that sort of thing.' The third member of the 'famous trio' Liam O'Flaherty, entered a 'Carthusian Monastery' in Co.Galway some four years ago and, for all practicable purposes, is quite out of contact.
The mistake about the author of the subject article, was made by my dearest Salome. At the time I telephoned her, she was giving a tutoral to a group of Haitian Houdans, and her mind was on other things.. So I will take the blame.
But Robert no longer has an insurmountable problem, the amateur archivist will only have to find and scan about 250 pages, all easily findable.
I now remember that it was written as a riposte to an article by a lady called Patricia Zweir, who was a very pleasant person, and a true Christian.
Oh, by the way Robert, a little tip. It would be preferable to write 'together with the newspaper' rather than 'along with the newspaper' Still, you were honest, when you claimed you could not write! I admire that.

T

TiberiusMineola

Thank you, Peregrine!! Hilarious Update!!

Peregrine, I greatly enjoyed reading your humerous version of where you'd been & why. So British! As an American, I'm not in the least offended. The Brits are far superior to the French!! In every imaginable way. So much eaasier to live with; except for the French Canadians. Such a pity that some type of labor management dispute led to your termination. We loyal readers are all the losers. Perhaps another can replace you? Possible? Unlikely? Do Robert or Dolores have nominations? Other potential nominees. Again, . . thank you. It was great fun while it lasted. Consider a comeback!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
peregrine, you cad

You've given us literary babies a little taste in your posts. Out with it!

It would be really nice to read something humorous that didn't have the word "sanky" or "sex" in it! (Sorry, Criss...)

:)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Peregrine,
Sorry if I got it wrong about the "Hitting on hard times", this was past on to me by someone & I never got it refuted. Ginnie (She that must be Obeyed) sends her regards & if you want to get in touch, we both look forward to that!!
As always, I was amused by your comments & dialogue - you haven't lost any of your old wit or the proper use of the Queen's English (that should get a few comments back!!!). There is an American friend of mine who would love to make contact with you & wants me to pass your e-mail address on to him. Could you get in touch with me at your convenoence & I will pass his e-mail address on to you??

Take care & Glad to hear things are going well for you - Grahame.

Peregrine

Feb 14, 2003
Robert,
Just eager to help!
I thought this spider's web was supposed to be run on GMT.
According to my clocks (3 time zones) your own is very late. It is now 23.58 zulu, whilst your shows 22.58. I suspect you started on BST not GMT.
Just pay a little attention to detail old chap.
After all, you do have all these people providing you with free copy, albeit at varying levels and standards. I think you owe it to them.

Last edited: