cable companies

Carla

Jan 24, 2003
After living in Santo Domingo for 5 months now, my teenage kids insist that they need cable access in order to survive. I find it very hard to come by information about prices and conditions of the different companies that offer services. Anybody with advice to what or not to do? My spanish is not so fantastic yet, so I prefer written information, leaflets or informative webpages-but any experience shared I would appreciate

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I just got Telecable in my house. They have a deal right now pay for 3 months and get 3 free. Sounded good to me. If you want contact me and I'll give you the personal phone number of the guy that helped me. That way you don't have to wait on the phone for an hour for someone to talk to. He speaks english and is a nice guy. After I paid it took me only 3 days to get connected. Was amazed after dealing with some other businesses around this country.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have the "BEST DEAL" !

Wait until you see a Telecable truck in your area.Go tell the driver you will give him 2000 pesos if he hooks you up right then! 7 years without paying cable,and I have all the movie channels too!Cris!!!!

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Re: I have the "BEST DEAL" !

Criss Colon said:
Wait until you see a Telecable truck in your area.Go tell the driver you will give him 2000 pesos if he hooks you up right then! 7 years without paying cable,and I have all the movie channels too!Cris!!!!

Solo en DR!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Actually not!

"Stealing" cable service,and selling "De-Coders" is a big problem in the US too! Go rent "Cable Guy"with Jim Carey ,you will see this scenario carried to it's ridiculous extreme! It is more fun here though! Someday we can talk about how to pay "LESS" for electricity!!!!..MUCH LESS!!!!!! cccccccccccccccccCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccccccccccc

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
When I lived in Sosua, I called up to get cable service connected. The guy connecting it rented a solar electricity system from the company I managed. He offered to connect me for free with no bills, for free solar electricity. I turned him down.

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
Re: I have the "BEST DEAL" !

Criss Colon said:

Oh well, Mr. Colon, i now believe that you are passing all the requirement to become a dominican citizen.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
The Cable fraud

Those who sign up with cable companies in DR are in for a big surprise. Once they hook you up you are in their mercy and become their slave for life.

Most people I know have problems with these cable companies because their service stinks and everyday day they give you less while the fees keep going up. Almost everything today is a premium channel and events which had never required additional payment before are now premium events.

What is even worse is that in some cases they have included regular channels which you can see without cable into their premium package.

I am with Criss all the way. This is a major ripoff and most channels have so many commercials that you end up paying three times for the products you buy in the streets.

TW

Carla

Jan 24, 2003
thanks for the replies. I looked up the aster homepage and found out virtually nothing-somebody there seems to love stupid graphic games...
I feel that in order to do things in the "indirect" way, I do not have enough experience and language skills, but I dont like to be in any companies "claws" , either...i`ll keep on searching for better solutions
Jan- thanks for the offer to contact you about the phone number- I dont know how to do that, though-pretty new in cyberspace...can somebody explain that to me?
Thanks anyway, everyone...

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
Carla

To contact anyone here, just click on this icon
email.gif
underneath their post box.

Alternatively, if someone has their e-mail addy blocked out, just use the private message feature ---->
sendpm.gif

Lastly, have you considered a Sat dish at all? There are some good deals out there -- as well as benefits and drawbacks compared to cable.

Carla

Jan 24, 2003
cables and dishes

...if only I had known about this place when we arrived here- would have saved me a lot of wrong decisions....I have not seen too many dihes on roofs and balconies, so I just assumed, that it would be too difficult or reception wouold be too bad- I would always prefer a dish to some contract that I have to keep on paying for ages. So-who has experience? woul it work on a balcony right in the middle of SD ? What can be received- for me, a good news statiion is the most important thing....

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
Carla,

A good start would be reading this thread. Click ---> Sat TV

If interested, I could also forward a lenghty e-mail I sent someone else on the topic.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is it worth getting 'Internet por cable?'

I'm definitely having a dial-up blues day. The connection has fallen at least 5 times in the last 20 minutes. I'm not exaggerating!

We used to have cable TV Telecable Nacional (now Tricom) and disconnected because we were going to be out of the country for a few months. Since we got back in Oct 2002 we have not been able to re-connect, because there is still no service in our area. I understand that if it were just cable TV we were after it would be possible, but if we wanted the 'internet por cable' service that both Aster and Telecable are advertising, but according to them the infrastructure isn't there yet, and they've stopped committing themselves to a date because it keeps being postponed.

I found the customer info people at both these companies less than helpful, one told me it was not possible to send me info on e-mail, only by fax (which century are we living in?) and Aster's person told me all the info was on the website which as Carla pointed out had little more than slow loading fancy animations.

As internet dial-up seems to be in its dying phase, what's the alternative now for internet connections? When I was finally quoted prices for 'internet por cable' by the cable companies they were staggeringly high. I really don't know what the best solution is so can anyone help?

Having said that, living without TV has its good points! DR1 and my other favourite websites have replaced cable as a leisure activity, and it's quite healthy to bring up a child in a TV-free environment. But I'm not so virtuous and often miss the option of plonking the little bugger in front of the Teletubbies while I'm trying to get something else done...

Chiri

PS &#**$& connection just crashed again when I tried to submit this. Ended up giving up and submitting later when the connection was more stable. GRRRRRRRRRR

domgirl1

Apr 5, 2002
To those looking for "conneccion por cable", I can tell you we've (my husband and I) had Aster for a few months now and have not had any problems. The price is fairly reasonable. We only pay 640 a month. Getting them to come here was actually very quick compared to other Dominican services. As many of you probably know getting phone service can take weeks if not months but Aster came within a week and a half or something like that.

I do agree that the website does not have alot of information but I do hear that as far as cable with aster they do have alot of channels to offer and the service is great. Again, this was told to me from someone that has both the cable and internet service. I myself can only say that we've had no problems with aster internet for as long as we've had it. Not yet at least. In this country you never know.....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks!

domgirl1 - thanks for that, but does that mean you are paying RD$640 for the internet connection only or for both internet and TV channels?

Chiri

domgirl1

Apr 5, 2002
Hi. Well i'm only paying 640 for the internet service. As far as cable......... i'm on the same boat as Chris Colon. But I will try to find out how much cable and internet is with Aster. I have a friend that has the service. As soon as I get a quote I will let you know.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Telecable told me that they will probably have the internet cable aailable in Zona Colonial by July. This is my goal. Get the cable for internet and get rid of my VIP through Codetel and the internet. Just use the cell or have the basic phone for the house. I figured it all out and it will be cheeper. I just need to bbuy a modem for my puter when it's time. Or can rent one ..Question. Do the modems go bad here fast because of the power surges? Should I pay the extra pesos to rent theirs or buy my own? I haven't a clue about that puter stuff really.