DR is an attractive target for terrorism, or no?

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
I did a search through the archives and didn't find this exact topic discussed (not saying I'm the sharpest 'searcher' on the board), so what does anybody think about the likelihood that Al-Quaeda(sp?) or other terrorist group would stage a spectacular (as they like to describe it) terrorist incident in the DR.
I mean, who knew that Bali was a principle destination for Australian tourists, especially for sun-worshippers, drinkers and dancers, before those coward bastards decided to torch a disco there and burn everybody in it to a crisp? Two hundred people died in that place or in a hospital later.
How porous are the borders or the DR? It seems to me, very. How difficult to place a bribe here or there to get the authorities to look the other way while you assemble your terrorist cell? How easy to smuggle in or acquire the components for a dirty bomb, or a chemical or biological device, or a 'McVeigh' bomb capable of hurting a lot of people in a short amount of time?
I'm just curious what anybody might think. Nothing short of riots in the streets will keep me from making a trip back to 'my adopted home' this year. I guess I'm a bit of a fatalist. If it's your time, it's your time. I'm not gonna seal my house in plastic and hide in it. I'll reenlist first.

SLM

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Larry. There isn't the concentration of Muslim militants here that there is in Bali. And if Al Queda is looking to make an impression on the world, there are better targets than the DR. St Louis, for example.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What TARGET could they attack????

Lets see,they could blow up a power plant causing to flow of electricity to be interrupted! They could put biological contaminates in the water supply,making it unsafe to drink! They could sabotage the garbage trucks causing stinking contaminated garbage to pile-up in the streets! They could disrupt the economy causing runaway inflation! They could interrupt the flow of "OIL" from Venezuela causing the price of "Combustables" to skyrocket! They could infiltrate "Idiots" into the "Hipolito"government causing it to make idiotic decisions! Nah! Those things could never happen here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CRISccccccccccccccc

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Satire, the brand of humor the Gods prefer. That was funny Criss.

We need no stinking terrorist to screw up the country. We have politicians paid to do that thankyouverymuch.

:)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Larry (ILoveDR) said:
DR is not a potential Al Queda target.Foret It.
Larry

I cant reveal my sources but I have heard that there is a cell operating in the DR with the leaders initials being AZB and I hear that they are going to buy up all available supplies of Presidente and Brugal before they bomb those factories and do a leveraged buyout of the country with their inventories...

My sources told me those targets are more valuable than the WTC and it will cripple the country.

I don't know how reliable my sources are so don't take it to the bank.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
What TARGET could they attack????

Ah Sir Colon, I love the humour ( Hey Jazz, note the correct spelling). I pronounce thee an honourary Scot.
Fortunately for me, few peole could find Las Galeras let alone bomb it!! 2 weeks & 3 days & counting. Stan.

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Good ones Cris! After all, A phone call from hell is only a local call here. lol
Amber

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
I can't help myself ... I love Cris Cccccccccccc !!!
I sometimes wish I had such a cunning wit, then again, I also sometimes wish I actually had the nerve to pull the trigger when the muzzle was in my mouth.

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
I don't want to get this thread too serious and all....

But terrorists don't necessarily need a 'target.' Their aim is to terrorize the public or a government or both.
Everyone knows that there are these weapons that are small enough that one person can fire them and this particular weapon is designed to bring down an aircraft, any aircraft, commercial or military. The US supplied these things by the hundreds to the Afghan Freedom Fighters (mujahadeen[sp?]) when the Soviet Union invaded. If al-Qaida decided to bring down fifty commercial airliners simultaneously and only had 10% success, people would be terrified to fly commercial and that could start a domino effect that would eventually cripple the economy of the entire world. Not just tourism, but business travel and cargo too. So maybe they pick a hundred airports where they have the greatest chance of success. That's more along the lines of what I was thinking.
Not really an uplifting Valentines Day thought, is it? Oh well, terror doesn't take a holiday. But I will, this June or July. Notify the Presidente top management to put on an extra shift.

st louis mike
smiling through it all :)

Apr 26, 2002
Re: I don't want to get this thread too serious and all....

st louis mike said:
Notify the Presidente top management to put on an extra shift.

st louis mike
smiling through it all :)

Mike,

I'll let the Cerveceria Nacional know you're coming. I have a direct line to them. They already named the new wing on their building after me.

POPGrl

Oct 30, 2002
I agree with what most of you say. Just remember this food for thought....many terrorists are being detained still in Cuba. I am sure nothing will happen, but the Dom Rep would be a convient place for people to fly in and out of to get to Cuba. Again, I highly doubt that anything would ever happen...but anything is possible now a days!

PS- I'll be knocking on your bunker door underground for that stockpile of Brugal and presendente. What can I bring..dominoes, cigars, ha ha

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
terrorist.....nah

I don't know if anyone noticed but the US government are presently re-enforcing their Embassy walls on the Av.Maximo Gomez in Santo Domingo. Then again they are doing it with all of their embassies across the World. I heard they did the same job last week in Barbados.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Judging from what I've heard on TV, that is in response to a directive sent to US embassies world wide.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Porous borders" ? Naw! No way...What is porous?? "Full of holes?" you say? But doesn't that imply some some structure? Naw! They are not porous, they are practically wide open.. We have naval officers, who "curiously" have the same last name as the head of the local Drug Enforcement boss, toting 54 kees of coke around the country...

You point is exceeding well taken Mike: it could happen. Anywhere. but, as an astute poster has said, with the exception of the miniscule muslim group around AZB, there is not a hotbed of fundamentalist Islam in the DR....

Could it be done? Yes. Will it happen? Not likely, Dominicans would kill every Muslim in the country and find out later who was the culprit...

HB

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
This is a terrorist nightmare scenario. No terrorist in his right mind would try anything here. Face it. If a terrorist wanted to bomb a building here, they?d have to wait till after 10:00 am before anyone has shown up for work. Even then, most people would still be either downstairs discussing the latest political gossip or stuck in traffic.
They could never orchestrate the hijacking of a plane because said aircraft will be delayed for unforeseen hours.
The American Consulate could never be breached. Just try and get ahead of all those people standing in line waiting for a visa!
So, be at ease and soak some rays.
;)
Amber