what am you?

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
As I was saying to a friend earlier tonight, when you are a product of two very different cultures, you wind up not fitting in in either one.
Take me for instance. I am a full fledged Dominican, yet spent my whole life in US. I identify with both cultures and at times with neither one.
Is anyone else in DR1 in the same position?
just wondering,
amber

Nathan

Titanium
Feb 3, 2003
Amber,

You see, I am American by birth. Both my parents are Dominican and I grew up mainly in the DR. When I was there, people would tell me "Yankee go home."

I too I dentify with that!

Here in the US, I get crap because I am minority...even in the military (worse). So, how do you fit in?

Be yourself and love yourself first, then everything fits into place. If people don't want to roll with your vibe, then you don't need them. Don't worry about fitting in with anybody. Everybody else has to make it a point to take part of your universe.

The world revolves around you...not them! It's your world and I am sure you take it by storm!

Just think..the world would be at a loss without your luminescence! You give vibe to the world around you!

I leave you with the famous words of Billy Cristal....

"When you feel good, you look good!" Feel marvelous darling and you'll see!

: )

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As a product of more than one culture, the obvious problem is that you don't identify fully with either of them -- in my case ANY of them as more than two are involved: one parent is European, one is Latin American; I have lived in three very different countries before coming to the DR.

Another aspect is that people cannot put you into a category they feel comfortable with, and often ignore you as a result. However, it also means they don't make crude assumptions about you based on stereotypes!

On the positive side it makes you grow up realising that much of nationalist and/or religious loyalty is meaningless and stupid: there is no one identity that is superior to another, just DIFFERENT.

Many of us here are foreigners of one type or another married to Dominicans, so our children will face these issues. Also children of expats growing up in the Dominican Republic, and Dominicans raising their children in other countries. In these days when travel is so much more widespread it'll happen more and more, so being of a mixed background will cease to be unusual.

Edited to add one more thought: also that world culture is becoming more homogenous so there is more that people have in common as a result of globalisation: watching the same TV channels, visiting the same websites, eating the same food, working for the same multinationals, wearing the same labels.
These are not all good things in my opinion but it makes for more common ground between people of 'different' cultures.

Chirimoya

Last edited:

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
That we don't fall into the trap of being bigots nor do we become extreme patriots is a very good thing indeed, Chiri. Accepting people as they are regardless of race or color does seem to be a natural side effect of being mixed which makes one more open and friendlier. :)
And yes, Nathan, I do have to learn to stop caring wether or not I fit and be glad that I am different.
Heck, leaving people to wonder what I am is kind of fun, anyway. ;)
Amber

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
How timely - this is my 100th post

Heck, leaving people to wonder what I am is kind of fun, anyway

absolutely!!!

Chiri - now what about that tag line?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
oooh noooo!

I'll let Criss choose one

Please no, anything but that! Please bear with me because I am totally lacking in inspiration right now.

Suggestions welcome - from the sublime to the ridiculous!

Chiri

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Chii: there is no one identity that is superior to another, just DIFFERENT.

Obviously, dear, you forgot about the Scots. I mean, there are really only 2 cultures. The Scots and the rest who wish they were. Well, maybe the sheep too. Stan.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If it's the pic, I like the one you sent me

Why thank you!

It's not the photo though, it's about the 'status' line below your screen name: where it says Bronze/Silver/Gold: once you get to 100 posts you change from 'Bronze' to 'Silver' and have the option of choosing a personalised tag line. Pib is 'Goddess' for example. You can't really better that one!

Chiri

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Well, mine was almost a tie between "Goddess" and "Sexy Diva". :)

I just tried to find something that was VERY unlike me, not an original idea mind you, Jane_J's is "ditz".

Unfortunately the tag line didn't come with the power to smite people at my will. :(

Last edited:

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Scots... didn't they invent some sort of drink? hehheeh

Oh yeah! Me, I don't like that stuff, I prefer Rye or Rum, but she who must be obeyed is partial to a decent one. Not MacAlbert!!! Who knows, a bottle of Grand McNish, or it's ilk, may end up in Las Galeras. For a wee while at least. Slainte Mhath. Stan

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Scottish imbibers

Oban and Lagavulin (sp?) are my favorite single malts....don't those Scots deep fry just about everything....including Milky Way bars?

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Congrats, Chiri! :) That is so kool! And Pib, YOU DO HAVE THE POWER. Just concentrate. ;)
Amber aka the one who must write a lot from now on.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
this is so on topic

don't those Scots deep fry just about everything....including Milky Way bars?

It's Mars Bars (which I think is what they call Milky Way bars there) and they're dipped in batter first.

(That was a public service announcement on behalf of the Scottish Tourist Board.)

Chiri

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Deep Fry

I've heard of them doing that with Mars Bars and they are different from Milky Way bars, but mot much.. Worst I ever actually experienced was deep fried pizza. It was disgusting. The national dish now is curry and even those daft buggers can't deep fry that!! The whiskies mentioned are both single malts. Shame to waste them on foreigners, but it brings in the money.

Pib, it ain't necessarily so. Stan.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I love single malt-Perhaps the best of Scotland's goodies, besides golf, that is...

Chiri For your consideration: "Not a chiripa!"

HB