Gifts / donations?

claires_auntie

Feb 17, 2003
Hi!

I've read a bunch of postings in regards to gifts and donations to bring with me to DR. I just wondered a few things.. .. First, is it appropriate to offer some clothes, child supplies to my maid as well as a tip? (we are planning on tipping, but I wanted to bring some extra stuff if it'll be needed), and as for school supplies, toys, underwear, etc for needy children, I can load up a bunch, but do not know where to begin to find a place to donate it to? I will be staying at the Gran Ventana beach resort, which I think is very close to Puerto Plata. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
auntie.

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
my opinion

I don't think that the clothes, etc would be a substitute for a tip, and I doubt if you meant it that way. I try to tip everyone at the hotel because 1) to be a good guest, 2) in a way, I'm representing the whole of the USA, 3) They're expecting it, and 4) they deserve it.
What I do with the other stuff, the clothes or a baseball glove or whatever, is leave it in the room when I check out the last day. Then I avoid the awkwardness of having to face this person, whom I barely know, and offering her charity. It's kind of weaselly in a way, too, I know, but that's what I do. I know that the items won't go to waste.

st louis mike
not exactly a veteran of DR travel yet

claires_auntie

Feb 17, 2003
Thanks Mike!
Actually, after more thought, I think I will just tip and leave little extras behind (lipstick, nail polish, etc.). But my mother and I are packing a suitcase with school supplies and toys..anyone know of a good, reliable place to drop these off? I really want to make sure they get in the hands of those who need them most. I've heard the "outback safari" takes objects for distribution. . .any thoughts on them? Or should I just wonder in Puerto Plata and try to find a church or something?
thanks!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
If you are looking for a church in Puerto Plata, go to la Iglesia Biblica Cristiana and leave in the care of Altagracia Riveria or Olga D'Orville. They have a school there as well and I am positive your items would be given to those in need.

claires_auntie

Feb 17, 2003
Thank you so much - all of you for all the help and such interesting postings! I wanna move now!!!!! Let's just hope my vacay (my first) will be as good as I have pumped it up to be!! Anyone know of any interesting "must sees" in the POP area? (other than amber and rum, that is. . .. )

AT