Searching for Norwegians

ATO

Feb 18, 2003
Hello!
I am a Norwegian living in Santiago. Have been here for 3 years now, and I love the country and the people here in the city.
People tell me that they have seen Norwegian around here, but I have never bumped into somebody myself.
So, if there is any Norwegian living around here, let me know, would be fun to hear my own language again.

Arild

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I've met Swedes, Danes and Norwegians living here. The only one I keep in touch with (kinda) is an old navigator who lives in Manzanillo, the northwestern-most town in the country. He is one of the funniest guys I've met in my life and the most stereotypical sailor you could find. His name is Gunnar but I don't have his phone number. I could find out if you REALLY want to go visit him.

Arve

Oct 13, 2002
Hei hei.

I've only passed by Santiago on the bus so I don't know anyone
there, but I know of a Norwegian colony in/around Boca Chica.

One is a silly cow, but she might have gone back home by now.

Another is in the construction business. He's a nice guy despite listening to Celine Dion, and he has, judging by his Dominican wife, done well for himself.

There's another, married to a Dominican, who's a PhD in economy.
He might return home as well though, I suppose he didn't manage
to adjust socially and find a reasonable job or so. Not sure what
the latest is with him but he's a great guy as well.

I also see another Norwegian there. I haven't bothered him in
case he doesn't want to be bothered but he seems quite ok.
Finally I know there's one living in San Pedro de Macoris (?) who's
a stock market thingy.

Alas, I'm only in touch with them when I'm there so I can't as of
now provide you with contact info. I can tell them about you when I'm down there next though I've no idea when that is. There's always a chance of them reading this as well, I suppose.

Lite nyttig info her, men lykke til likevel. ;)

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Hi Arild,

Actually there are quite a few folks from Norway living in the DR (Santiago area). They are working on some large construction projects in the area. We work with them on a weekly basis and also visit with them in local social events. Please send me an email @ dms3611@aol.com and I will be happy to introduce you to these folks. I will be back in Santiago Feb. 23/24th.

Best, Dave