Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I just moved here recently but before I did I contacted both Scotiabank and Citibank as I initially planned to open an account in the US with branches in the DR. Both banks told me their DR offices are specifically for commercial accounts only - I could use the ATMS but wouldn't be able to count on personally banking account services..I opened an account with Banco Popular here - 'course I'm not talking about a lot of money either. I also kept my US credit union account open -

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey I'm new to this and never looked at the dates - anyway, what were you doing reading this old thread??? lol

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How about US$ in Banco Popular

Quote Originally Posted by Bellamona View Post
    Hey I'm new to this and never looked at the dates - anyway, what were you doing reading this old thread??? lol
    All my monies from gov retirement goes to Banco Popular in US dollars.
    bob

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    TexasBill, keep your money in a bank outside of the DR and write personal checks on your account to get money in the DR. I'm doing that and so are a great many other people in the Sosua area. Exchange banks here are very happy to take personal checks. We get a better exchange rate, without paying a fee, than if using an ATM card and we have the security of knowing that the money is safe.
    What do you mean by exchange banks? Can you name a few. Can you do this at bank popular?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott18684 View Post
    What do you mean by exchange banks? Can you name a few. Can you do this at bank popular?
    This post (of Ken) is almost 17years old.....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott18684 View Post
    An exchange service is more like what I would call it. They are businesses that once they know you will cash a US dollar check and give you a good rate for DR pesos. I have never used one, but other posters here can help you find them. While the thread is old, the question is still a good one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123