Buying A Car...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I am currently looking for a truck/suv. I have found a Mitsubishi Montero Sport 1992 with 138K miles in good condition. They want 190K pesos for it. I havent got a clue as to how to evaluate a fair price here....what do you guys think? Obviously this is overpriced by USA standards but here they are more expensive.

Also, I am looking for someone that can cash a USA bank check giving me pesos for approximately 200K pesos....or if that is not possible and I have to go to USA to get the money then someone who you know who I can trust to give me 200K good pesos for my dollars.

Thanks

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Buying a 10 year+ car could very well mean you are buying problems. Cars with that kind of mileage, start to need major repairs.

On the other hand, remember you can open a dollar account here, and then transfer your dollars. At the present time, this will give you access to cash in US$ once the transfer goes through.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That price sounds hight to me. BTW, those are probably kilometers, not miles.
But like D says, a 10 year old Montero is not a good buy. Talk to Bush Baby and see what he thinks, since he has done some buying lately..
And for cash, you can drive a harder bargain. Look in the Listin Diario Classifieds for prices (+/-)...Get in the ball park figures..

HB, who drives a 16 yr old GMC....sometimes!!

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
If you are getting a 10 year old SUV, why not get a Toyota Land Rover instead? It is a better vehicle, and by that mileage has lost its snob price. I couldn't agree more though that buying a ten year old vehicle is buying problems. Expect them. Immediately. Whoever had it before you probably got by ok until they ran into a problem and then didn't want to fix it, so they decided to sell it and cover it up thereby making it your problem. In my opinion, it is pretty difficult to find a vehicle that is more than 5 years old on the car lots that doesn't need some pretty major work. Also, try everything before you buy. Americans somehow expect everything to work. Little things like lights, locks, hoses, and so forth don't tend to get the attention they deserve in this country.

gretchsean

Feb 7, 2003
Transportation for a family of four

Thoughts on Suzuki Sidekick. And what is a Scoda? Could a family living in an apartment say twenty kilometers away from work get by with motorcycles or scooters for daily transportation and use the busses for trips to market and such.