Megaport In Manzanillo(pepillo Salcedo)

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
According to a newspaper article (Ibelieve it was in section 'D' of EL CARIBE) a week or so ago, the United Arab Imerates have finalized a 4.1Billion dollar loan to a European Consortium to Finally build the much touted Mega Puerto in the Manzanillo Bay, which is the only really protected deep-water port in the Carribean Basin.
BIG QUESTION>>> Did anyone else read the article? Does anyone know the background(I understand this has been around for EONS) and does anyone know the composition of the alledged consortium?
There is a French company who have built a couple of building just off the 'embarcadero' here, and a woman who claims to own all the land needed for Port expansion, hotels, marina, etc., etc., and is demanding her pound of flesh for access to same. It seems that this project has been started and aborted several times in the past, from what a couple of the locals say. Is anyone REALLY in the know, or is it again a bunch of 'I wish' on the part of Government?
Anyone wish to enlighten me, comment, harrangue, etc.?
Texas Bill

Apr 26, 2002
Texas,

I think that the only reason that the Manzanillo port was not developed previously was its distance from any population center or transportation hub and its proximity to Haiti. It is, by far, the best natural harbor in the country. Ask any sailor, Ozama, Haina and Puerta Plata are attrocious ports. That said, go with what Pib said and don't hold your breath on development right now.

I know some Dominican Yorks from Manzanillo. It sounds like a very pleasant traditional Dominican town. I'd like to check it out some day.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
One thing for sure, and 2 for certain...this is an enjoyable port to ship out of at the moment. We love shipping from this port. No hassles, peaceful, good sized tarpon rolling around.....but there still has not been any release of funds for infrastructure development yet. Makes for good "development" conversation though..........

Best, Dave

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Not a chance!!!

Just like PIB said...don't dream about it. It's all hoopla. I believe I posted something about this sometime ago.

There is something strange going on with this thing. Lots of violence has occurred with things related to the Manzanillo deal. For one, a senator who happens to have his office 7ft. under the sea limit at Cementerio Cristo Redentor was involved with this deal, and ended up with a ruptured femoral. He got stuffed with a few bullets at a party in Alma Rosa.

One of his killers ended up swallowing a butcher knife at La Victoria jail because he was talking too much, and a secretary who happened to be working at the wrong time while her boss, an engineer involved in the Manzanillo deal was not in the office, was almost burned to death match by match with a box of matches, beaten to a pulp when the mafiosi from that Manzanillo deal could not find the engineer. He was the target.

I observed the police investigating and while the poor chick was taken to the hospital from the engineer's office in Ensanche Piantini. For the rest of the next three months the engineers had more bodyguards than Trujillo protecting the 4th. floor office,
The bodyguards were real policemen working on duty for money.

Now what does that tell you about this deal?

TW

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I cannot talk about the politics of the deal. However, with the new Zona Franca opening up in Juana Mendez in Haiti, the new one in Dajabon and the one in Montecristi, plus the one in Mao and Esperanza, I think that it would certainly get a lot of play.

But, I think that the government is afraid to let anyone here (in the DR) get in on this because of the riches to be made....unless they have a finger or two or three in the pie...

I don't know if I will see this happening unless DR private enterprise gets involved as with the Santiago airport....

HB