DR North Coast in May (rain?) w/toddler - advice pls!!

christinab

Feb 19, 2003
We're planning a trip to the DR in May and would really appreciate some help/advice. We've found a good flight into POP and like the descriptions of the North Coast (Cabarete) and especially Samana Peninsula. My husband and I are the off-the-beaten-path type, but we'll be bringing our 1.5 yr old daughter this time, for a stay of (we hope) about 10 days. We love small hotels, tranquil beaches, great food and sunshine, but also want to have a relaxing vacation with our daughter. Here are the foggy areas which we hope some of you DR experts can help illuminate:

1. RAIN CONCERNS: We've read different things about the DR rainy "season". One weather index says there are 9 inches of rain on avg in May in Samana!! Should we limit our stay in this area and go for a different itinerary - i.e. East Coast/Punta Cana or Santa Domingo and surrounding beaches? Is early May much worse than late May, or is there no difference? Is May a totally dead month in the DR, touristically speaking?
2. WHERE TO STAY: If you were to spend 5 nights in two separate "base towns" along the North Coast, which would you pick? Considering we'd like a beach with calm waters near by, but that we don't want to be too isolated (we're not planning on renting a car) Cabarete? Sosua? Puerto Plata? Is Sosua really the "Acapulco of the DR" or are there quiet zones/hotels there too? If we spent 6 days in Samana, would it be best to divide it up, i.e. 3 in Samana and 3 in Las Galeras (looking at the Club Bonito hotel)? Any suggestions for towns or hotels are welcome.

3. TODDLER TRAVEL: We're concerned about what our daughter will eat while over there. Do supermarkets sell good quality jars of babyfood, just in case? Health : are special vaccinations needed for a toddler - or for us, for that matter?

4. COST OF LIVING/TRAVELING: are the hotels really as inexpensive as they seem (i.e. 50-100 night) or do taxes really make a huge difference?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP ON ANY OF THESE QUESTIONS ASAP!!

So glad this forum exists!
Christina, Enrico and Mila

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Samana gets a lot of rain, which is why it is almost always green. But the rain usually falls in short showers around dawn or around 4-5pm in the afternoon. During the 12 years that I lived there, we had few days that you would call rainy days. The best chance for really rainy days are when a hurricane is moving through the Caribbean, but for Samana that normally isny a concern until late August through October. Even then, most days are not rainy days.

Las Galeras would be a good choice for your Samana stay. Very nice beach, shallow water, and good protection from an offshore reef. White sand, clear and calm water. Las Terrenas also a possibility.

I now live in Sosua and certainly don't consider it the "Acapulco of the DR." Sosua beach would be good for you because there are sections with offshore reef protection. There is an excellent supermarket in Sosua, the biggest and best in this area. Neither Samana nor Cabarete have one that compares. As many times as I have been in it, I don't know what the baby food situation is. I'll check it out and let you know in a future post.

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
Las Galeras is a long haul with kids from POP although they do have a calm beach as surf goes. Restaurant options are very limited in Las Galeras as well as the kind of supermarkets you are looking for. If you are flying into POP the all inclusives in Cofresi are kid friendly with calm surf. Cabarete has waves but great hotel and restaurant options as well as more supermarket options compared to the Samana area. I haven't tried the Sosua area yet. I have to young children ages 4 and 6 so I know what you are looking for.

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
Also, if you stay in the POP/Cabarete area rain shouldn't be a problem in May. Actually, May is a great month to travel as there doesn't seem to be as many tourists compared to April.

christinab

Feb 19, 2003
Thanks so much. A question about hotels in May - is it necessary to book in advance, or would we be able to play it by ear once we get there? This way, we could check out the hotels vs. getting stuck into one or another. We could also stay longer or shorter in one place, depending on how we liked it.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think you could play it by ear. You certainly will not lack for a hotel room.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Las Galeras recommendation

Christina, reading your post I would urge you not to be put off by the 'long haul' warning and go to Las Galeras. You will not regret it!

I am a bit biased because I have been going there for years... I have a 2 year old son and recently spent the best part of a month there, we did not find the restaurants there limited, almost all of them are very welcoming to small children and do half portions etc. There is a very friendly village atmosphere and a fair amount to do.

There is an Italian-run supermarket there and a couple of good colmados (local grocery stores) so you should be OK for baby food, though you may want to stock up when in a place with a larger supermarket if you want a really good selection. Same goes for baby milk and cereal.

The Club Bonito is a good choice, it is on the beach AND has a lovely swimming pool and baby pool - although we were not guests there we used it several times. There are other places to stay with self catering facilities that you might also want to consider.

Please PM me if you would like any more specific information.

Buen viaje!

Chiri

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Chirimoya. I believe you will find it was well worth the trip, especially since you had already mentioned an interest in the Samana Peninsula. If you want to see beautiful scenery, relax in a laid-back environment, and swim in a todler-friendly location, you couldn't pick a better destination. For more info on Las Galeras, see http://www.samana.net/sn-english.htm

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
christinab said:
3. TODDLER TRAVEL: We're concerned about what our daughter will eat while over there. Do supermarkets sell good quality jars of babyfood, just in case? Health : are special vaccinations needed for a toddler - or for us, for that matter?

Christina, Enrico and Mila [/B]

Christina, I can't comment on the other items you have queries on but, I went to the DR with my son when he was 6 mths old. I took everything from Diapers to Water with me but, found what I needed at the supermarket when I ran out. One of the DR posters mentioned it but, when you hit a supermercado you might want to stock up as you wouldn't be able to find like items at the little corner stores. The supermercados carry brands like Heinz Baby foods, Huggies diapers, etc. (a tad pricey but, if you are used to one brand, you gotta go with it). If you are going to use any of the local water for the cereals, etc, make sure you are able to boil it.
As for the vaccinations, if your daughter's shots are current, that should be fine. They usually include a Hep A &/or B shot in their routine shots.
I had never had any vaccinations when I went. Just be careful of the water you use and the food you eat.
Oh yes, bring lots of suntan lotion for the baby - slather her with it everytime you go out. Something to take care of bug bites - she'll probably get a number of those.
Think I've covered most of your baby questions...
Enjoy your trip
Helen