Baninter and Subrogation

Apr 26, 2002
Before I write anything about Baninter, I have been reminded that our Dear Leader has made clear that he will sue anyone who says anything bad about a Dominican bank pursuant to the Guacamole Act of 1947.

Robert reports today that the Baninter reconfirms that it will not press charges against Pepe and company for the ALLEGED RD$40M fraud. It was also said that this is because the loss was covered by insurance. This all makes no sense.

Without even going into whether a bank can press charges for a fraud in which it was intimately involved, or whether an insurance company would cover such a loss without doing a painstaking investigation that would have completely exposed the bank's role in the fraud, the insurance angle is clearly total caca, The limit on credit card fraud insurance is US$50,000, a fraction of the alleged loss. Also, any insurance company would automatically have what's called a right of SUBROGATION against the perpetrator of the fraud. In other words, had VISA's insurance company had to pay the Baninter for the loss, it would automatically try to recover its loss by sueing Goico, his associates, and possibly the DR government, in a US or Bermuda court.

That said, I would have let Goico go as well. How can you defraud a bank/oligarch that's actively working with you on the fraud?

Or has the Bank been paid by the government to make up for the "loss" and/or to keep quiet, in which case it was the Dominican people that paid for Goico's Rolex and Mercedes Benz?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Why do we care? It makes no difference anyway!!!

When "hipolito" gave "Pepe" the "job" of advance Presidencial security team director,he(Pepe) was out on two million pesos bail(since April 88,nice bail!)for being involved with a group that stole 90 million pesos from the National Lottery Agency(really from all the people who bought tickets!) There is NO justice here!!! Angel Lockward,who sold diplomas 19 years ago when he was vice-chanselor of CETEC,is now accused of stealing 200 million pesos from the program to subsidise the cost of propane to poor families,a program that never helped anyone except the guys who ran the program! "Same Shit,Different Administration!!!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccccccccccccccccc

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I would personally be happy to have Senor Lockward resume selling diplomas if it would bring an end to the widespread sale of driver licenses to so many who clearly have not earned them through instruction or by demonstrating ability. I don't mean to re-start the Dominican driving thread but, well, I think many of you know what I mean.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Sr Rubirosa-

If memory serves me, I think I remember the details when this situation broke in the news, which stated that Sr Goico was issued a shiny new credit card for each and every overseas trip that El Viajero was going to make, with a card limit of US $50,000 for each upcoming trip, so that he could make the 'necessary' arrangements.

Any connections here ?

Apr 26, 2002
Oye, Gringo,

Fascinating. Reminds me of the FAA director who, faced with a expenditure limit of $10,000 for non-bid contracts, gave the leader of his religious cult 100 $9,999 no-bid contracts.

Yes, he went to jail. No, Goico will not (not to a real jail, anyway). But it adds evidence that the bank was involved, don't you think?