dominican art

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Last summer I saw some great pieces in an office in Puerto Plata. I checked the archives on this already but was hoping for some more information. Specifically people's favorite fine artists or artisans that are Dominican. Also, are there any Dominican photgraphers of note.

Are there any papermakers in the DR? Any book artists, for that matter. Or anybody doing archival work for the "Cradle of History." (By archival I mean restoration of books or documents.)

I saw some lovely sculptures through the windows of La Escuela de Bellas Artes. What kind of exhibitions does the school have and when are they?

MG

(ps. in el Farol de Colon, isn't it pathetic that the US sent nothing to exhibit?)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In Santo Domingo, the Museo de Arte Moderno has a good collection of Dominican artists. The most prominent include: Guillo Perez, Ramon Oviedo but there are many others too.

There are younger artists doing good stuff, catch their exhibitions at other venues e.g. Casa de Teatro in the Zona Colonial. Raquel Paeiwonsky is doing some interesting work.

A curiosity worth mentioning is Dominican-born Theodore Chasseriau who doesn't quite count because he was the son of a French colonial who lived near El Limon, Samana for a while. His mother had a French name but is believed to have been Dominican. Theodore Chasseriau left the DR as a child and rose to prominence in France in the early 19th century, as part of the Romantic movement.

Photography is a very popular art form in the DR, and there are numerous excellent photographers ranging from artistic to documentary/social comment. There are frequent exhibitions of photographic work in Santo Domingo.

Send me a PM if there are any specific areas you would like more information about.

Chiri

Last edited: