Curious about new condo development.

Montessorian

Apr 1, 2002
www.patriaquerida.homestead.com
Hello,

I just returned from the DR today, and I am going back in March. I saw a new condo development on the "Autopista Duarte", inbetween carrefour and Ole, called "Tierrallana". They are new condos, sold by remax metropolitana.

Well I purchased one, and I am now having some buyers remorse. Any one have some input on the development or the people promoting it.

It looked really nice, but I was not so comfortable with the contract. If the promoters do what they say they will do than I think I will come out o.k. on this, but I know how things work there, so I worry.

Any input would be very helpful.

Thanks

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Montessorian

Tierra LLana is getting a lot of advertising as a panacea for affordable housing near the centers of Santo Domingo. I am not going to give you an opinion on the particular developer, but most large developments in DR are having big time problems with services, such as water, electricity, crime, sewers, green areas and maintenance.

Ciudad Satelite for instance has become a nightmare for some of the buyers. Recently there was a protest by a group of homeowners who were promised many things and never got it.

On the part of location, all I can say is that Carretera Duarte is as bad as you can get in terms of location for housing. That whole area and sorroundings are mostly business and ghetto areas. That part of Carretera Duarte is one of the dirtiest, noisiest and abandoned areas near Santo Domingo. Public transportation syndicates own the streets and everything. They have no respect for private property. They park their vehicles everywhere and the area is a mad house everytime there is a holiday with traffic and commuters, who are very low class people.

I hope all goes well with your purchase, but I am not positive about it. Another area you or anybody should stay away from is anything near Autopista de Las Americas(the entire lenght) and for miles around it. Carretera Mella and Sanchez are two other areas that call my attention as to poor desirability. In fact, any highway here is bad. Major avenues such as Kennedy, 27 de Febrero, Maximo Gomez, Tiradentes(north of 27 de Febrero), Lope De Vega, Churchill(south of 27 de Febrero and north of Charles Summer) Nu?ez de Caceres north of Sarasota Avenue the entire lenght north and Lincoln Avenue south of Sarasota Avenue are not fit for housing.

Always drive around the area at all hours of the day before you buy to see the reaction of the community at different intervals. What may appear quiet to you at a certain hour could be the entrance of hell at another hour. Pay a visit when it rains heavy to see the sewer conditions. Stay away from any area with easy access to public transportation, specially conch and voladora transit. If you notice a lot of motorcycles at any hour, leave as soon as you can and never return. If you have a colmadon nearby, forget it!! If chimichurris have a habit of stopping by don't even think about buying. If the cars parked in the streets and lots are older than 7 years you got problems. If you see people hang drying clothes from their balcony you are in deep sh=it.

TW

Montessorian

Apr 1, 2002
www.patriaquerida.homestead.com
I decided to cancel my check on monday after the advice of an attorney. When I go back in march I will start looking again.

I knew the surrounding area was not very good, but they are promising a 2 meter wall, and guard gates, and the people who were there looking were seemed well dressed, etc. However, I know that promises are many times broken.

However, I parted with a big chunk of change, that most likely would be better invested somewhere else. I just hope I don't have any problems for a stopped check drawn on a US bank.

Thank you for your advice.
Tamara

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tamara,

If you haven't already done so, see what Fabio Guzman had to say about what you should have in your hand before you commit on a condo. It is in the thread that I linked you to in my first post.

Good luck.