I'm Interested in working in D.R.

Dominicana_NJ

Feb 22, 2003
Hello to all who read this post,

My name is Anny, I am an International Business student. I was born in Santo Domingo but I've been living in New Jersey since I was 3 yrs. old. I am very interested in moving to Dominican Republic. I have heard that a good job is very difficult to find out there but I believe that life is all about taking risks, and I am willing to take one for my country (D.R.) So I was wondering if anyone on this forum could give me any tips on finding a job in D.R. What kind of job should I look for and what kind of pay can I person with my experience and skills expect. I will be graduating in September with an associates degree. I plan to move to D.R. as soon as I'm done to possibly start a career and maybe to furthur my education out there.Well if anyone has any information please feel free to respond to this post or e-mail me at: anny_abreu08@hotmail.com. Your help will be greatly appreciated...Thank you!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry Anny, but an Associate Degree in Business won';t cut it here.

You had better do the complete BA in Business and get your MBA in finance or Business before you look for work here. The competition is too great.

Oh sure you can come here and maybe , because you are perhaps bilingual (no Spanish Skills I am sure) you can be a receptionist or a gofer, maybe a teller in a bank but not much more...

Get all the education you can while you are young and strong. THEN come here and do battle...

HB, Father of two BA in Business, one Electrical Engineer, one BA candidate. Father in law of a lawyer, an MBA in Banking, and an MBA candidate...Foster father to a MD, foster father in law to an architect....Get the picture? Education!! Go to FDU and learn all you can...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by Dominicana_NJ I have heard that a good job is very difficult to find out there but I believe that life is all about taking risks, and I am willing to take one for my country (D.R.)

What risk will you be taking for the DR, Anny? Your coming to the DR with no more than an Associates degree will not be a service to the DR.

What is your rush? You'll be far better off if you delay your move to the DR until you have something to offer.

Dominicana_NJ

Feb 22, 2003
Well thank you very much for your input. It is greatly appreciated. I believe you are right about furthuring my education. My parents tell me the same thing. I think that is what I'll end up doing.

Now about the no spanish skills. You'd be surprised to know that I actually do know how to speak spanish properly. What I never mentioned was that when I was 15 I moved back to D.R. and completed my highschool education in a private school run by nuns. So I know how to properly speak and write both Spanish and English. So much so that after I graduated "bachillerato" I went straight to work as a "Computer Teacher" teaching basic computer skills in a Bilingual school called "The American Christian School". There I taught children ranging from 3rd grade to Senior in high school, and I myself was only 18 yrs. old.

So you see my whole deal about moving back to DR is because my parents confused me when they moved me back to the island. Now I want to go back those 4 years that I lived out there were the best in my entire life (I know I haven't lived that long but still they were the best). I learned so much. I did more in those 4 years than I have done in all my other years put together. that is why I am even considering furthuring my education in DR. Even though I know an education from the US is almost a golden ticket in DR. I really don't know what to do I'm so confused. But I really appreciate that advice Mr. Hillbilly as you are the only one who has responded. All in all you are right. So thank you!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Dominicana

At least you got lots of time to work on your skills and degree. If like you say you dominate Spanish and went to a private school in DR, and likewise speak and write English well, with a BA or Masters degree you have a much better chance to land a good job than most Dominicans who cannot even speak and write their language well.

Most key jobs in DR require English as a second language, and those in tourist areas more than two languages. That does not mean companies always get their way, because few Dominicans speak and write both well, and have a degree.

Also very important are computer courses to compliment your skills. The basics like Power Point, Excel, Word, Publisher, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and some design capabilities will help a great deal. DR is computerized everywhere.

Go for your BA and Masters and while you are at it take some jobs for experience for your resume, since experience is always required. Add a social service organization to show you are community oriented and have a human side.

Learn to dress elegantly and in good taste. Good grooming is almost a profession here. If you live in a Dominican neighborhood, stop mingling with the local "joes" and lose any Dominican-York traits which can harm your image in DR. Dominicans here discriminate against people who return and look like they just arrived.

Stay away from visual tattoos, multiple earrings and unusual looks, like braided hair, etc. You might also begin to network with some friends over internet and begin to develop your own new friends. Try to stick to professionals and people with aspirations.

Then when you get here be persistent and be ready to compete with the locals, who are very aggressive and pack lots of degrees, but few speak English well or at all.

TW

Dominicana_NJ

Feb 22, 2003
Thanks very much. The advice that I have been given is very good. This is exactly the kind of input that I was hoping to receive.

Now I have another question I'm majoring in International Business. What exactly would that be, or into what field would that fall in DR? Someone told me "Diplomacia" but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me out with that?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Int'l Business is oriented towards the "ins" and "outs" of doing business in an international setting. Invoices, shipping, Customs, Tariffs and duties, International Trade Law, Maritime Law, currencies, international money and stock markets. All that sort of stuff. If you do a BA in International Business, you will need an MBA inFinance or Business.
Take Golo's advice and start networking-meeting, going to seminars, trade conferences and so forth. Start to decide which area you are interested in: Commodities, fuels, manufactured goods, banking....and focus on those companies in the USA that export what you like. Start sending letters to the home office about what they are doing. For example: ADM is Archer Daniels Midland, one of the largest food suppliers in the world with offices all over the planet. What a great place to do an internship...!! See what I mean?

Good luck, I think you have a good head on your shoulders...

HB

Dominicana_NJ

Feb 22, 2003
Hillbilly,

thaks for the info I'm actually supposed to start my internship in the summer!! I'll look Archer Daniels Midland up.....I think I'm interested in going into either banking or commodities I'm not to sure yet. I'll be graduating with my associates in International Business in September. I've decided to take your advice and I'm going to transfer into another university to complete my bachelors and then most likley go on for my MBA....I've looked at a couple of schools in NY and some in FL but I haven't quite decided what city I want to relocate to (financial aid is a big factor to me)..... I heard you were a college professor would you know of any good business schools that I could look into?? I've got a 3.5 GPA I'm striving to get 4.0 but my accounting class killed me. Anyway Thanks for all your help and you advice.

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Forget it, unemployment is high here, and what you know is never as important as who you know, or even who you blow.

If you've been living in NJ then you probably don't have the contacts you would need to get a good job, and it is all about contacts, who trusts you, etc. I have an excelent resume but I know for a fact I could never get hired by anyone but my own family here, so if that falls through I'm out of here.

Your best bet if you don't have family that can hook you up with a job is to save some money and open a little business and work for yourself for awhile, then get one of your little cousins to run it for you and look for a job when you got plenty of time to mess around.

That seems to be the standard Dominican procedure for people coming back from NJ, and hey, it even worked for me. (sort of)