Perception of missionaries from LDS church

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonita

Feb 24, 2003
Hola! I'm a new visitor to your board, joined because my 21 year old daughter has moved to the DR for the next 18 months. I wanted to know what's happening there, and I've enjoyed reading all of your posts. I do have one question, hopefully, you won't just make fun and will give an honest answer?
My daughter(not me!) is a Mormon missionary, she and her companion are there to talk about God in their own manner and to do service projects also. Can anyone tell me how the Dominicans, who I'm told are primarily Catholic, react to these type of missionaries coming down there? And are the churches actually doing anything to alleviate the chronic poverty, ie; soup kitchens, ophanages, providing work, etc?
Thanks, looking forward to hearing some responses!
Chau!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Funny but true story.

In the DR(and many other countries as well) many of the people believe that Morman missionaries are CIA agents.
I won't bother you with my personal view on missionaries but In the DR they are embraced by the populace for the most part. I would not worry about your daughter(Too much at least)!

leonita

Feb 24, 2003
Thanks for the humor and honesty!

Tony,
That is truly funny! Believe me, I also have my own personal views about missionaries, it was her choice to join this church, not our first choice! But, I had never heard the CIA connection before, too funny! Actually, many of the young guys who are Mormon do end up in either the CIA, FBI, DEA, or some other acronym agency where they get to be subtle and reliable, since they don't drink or do drugs . Many of them are bodyguards to the presidents and other officials too.
Thanks for the part about not worrying about her, she has very limited email access, have only heard once in 2 weeks, she loves the DR, she's part Mexican(father) and part Argentine(me), so her Spanish is good, and she loves music, so she's loving it there. She's my only one, so naturally, I was worried about her going so far away, but the apron strings have to be cut sometime!
Mil gracias!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tony is right, most Dominicans treat missionaries in a friendly way. It is not uncommon to see LDS and other young missionaries, and I have never seen any indication of hostility toward them. What the official Catholic position is, I don't know. But whatever it is, the people seem friendly.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Many Dominicans are not Catholic and there are missionary groups everywhere. The Mormones are accepted quite well, at least in my wifes home town of Jarabacoa. Where is your daughter?

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I can tell you my experience with Mormons in the DR. As a Peace Corps Volunteer you commonly come across Mormons doing their missionary service. We had a couple of young men in the town close to my village. We PCV's tried to talk to them about their work and how they were getting along adjusting and they said they were told not to talk to PCV's. Now why I am not sure. PCV's were commonly percieved to be CIA spys as well.

I do know that on many ocassions I would run into Mormons at the calling centers where they would be chatting away with other missionaries in other countries.

For the most part Mormons are well received. A lot of youth enjoy going to their activites because they provide free food and soda. That's how most things work though. Plus they usually have air-conditioning and a good basketball court that is well maintained.

leonita

Feb 24, 2003
where, oh where is my little Mormona?

Wow! Thanks for the replies, DR1 folks! This is quite fun, I love having all of you who actually live there let me know what the perception and reception is. My daughter just arrived there on Feb.10, and she is currently in Santo Domingo, in a really nice house. She also said they have a young lady who cooks and cleans, she said most of the church people do have hired help. We've never been able to afford that in California, so she's going to be quite spoiled when she returns.
She will be moving down the coast every 2 months, ending up on the border with Haiti toward the end of her mission, which ends in July of 2004.
I'm not sure why they are not supposed to talk to PCV, I honestly wish she had gone down there with the Peace Corps, as I see more value in the help the PC offers as opposed to just the soul saving, but to each his or her own.
I can understand the nicely kept up basketball courts, they really emphasize sports in their religion, and also the free food at events, that's really big wherever they are. I hope they really do provide some true help with daily living, that makes me feel better about the use of her time.
My husband and I plan to pick her up in 2004, so I'll be keeping current on the DR via this board, I can't wait to visit and do some dancing, diving, drinking and eating(told you I'm not Mormon!) She converted because of an attractive Samoan boyfriend!

;)

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I find that the Mormans to be quite a friendly bunch if you start up the conversation. They seem to be recruiting a heck of a lot more than they do any sort of development work. A few told me they weren't allowed to swim, dance, or call home. I was told there are/were 300 Mormans from the US doing their missionary work in the DR. Twice the number of Peace Corps volunteers. They are eaily recognizable with the white shirts and ties, sometimes riding bicycles. The joke is, they are always looking for a free meal around noontime. Dominicans view the Mormans as "serious" type people, and that gives you automatic respect. The church probably has a good orientation program, and they always walk in pairs.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Mothers and fathers always worry!

Be proud of your daughter! Think of all the bad choices young people make today! You are blessed.She will come home a better person.I see the "Mormons" all over Santo Domingo.They are at the super markets in large groups,also MacDonalds,Pizza Hut,and Burger King!cris

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No comment.

HB

PS: she is safe and will probably recruit a few more into the LDS band.

leonita

Feb 24, 2003
Proud and feeling happier, now!

Thanks to all of you for your input and kind words. Criss, you're right, parents always worry, and yes, I am proud. When she first converted, we worried about the "cult" status, but we realized they live a very healthy lifestyle, and she managed to graduate from UCLA in 3.5 years with a BA in psychology, without using drugs or alcohol and while planning her mission, so, yes, we're truly blessed!
I think the DR sounds like just the right place for her, she's a very compassionate and caring girl, and I'm happy to think there are such souls as all of you and all of the Dominicanos around to offer her kind friendship. She's looking forward to when we come pick her up to swim in that marvelous water, she's not allowed to swim while on her mission.
Thanks!

GForce209

Jan 1, 2002
missionaires in DR

I thought I would put my two cents in on this post. I am a Mormon who served his mission in the DR from 95-97. I fell in love with the Dominican people while serving. The majority of the Dominicans were very friendly and receptive to me as an American gringo who couldn't speak Spanish for the first 6 months. I made many friends and have wonderful memories of living in Santo Domingo, Boca Chica, Hato Mayor, Miches, La Romana and visisting many other cities and towns. Although missionaries all come with different personalities I think you would find that most of them are anxious to share what they feel is very important, but at the same time are very respectful of others beliefs. I have returned several times with a dental school group to do volunteer work in Guaricano, Santo Domingo and continue to establish friendships that transend religion. Remember that every missionary has to pay his/her own way for the whole mission, so they are there because they want to be. One side note, there are about 500 missionaries in the country, many of them are Dominicans.
I'm sure your daughter will touch the lives of many for good.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
One other thing

I know the mormon church uses a radio station to communicate with mormons around the world and I remember that during Hurricane Georges, we were able to tune into that radio station to hear the status of the hurricane and monitor the storm.

Why are they not allowed to swim while on their mission?

leonita

Feb 24, 2003
No swimming allowed

The reason my daughter gave me for the ban on swimming is that missionaries have been hurt in the past, either in the ocean or pools, so to prevent injuries far from home, they have just decided to ban all swimming. It's not a modesty thing, since they wear pretty modest swimwear, it's more a liability issue.
Funny that they can't dance while on the mission, since dances are a huge part of their socializing while at home, but I guess it's not that proper while serving as a missionary. She and her companion dance to merengue and bachata in their own home, she said the maid/cook taught them and they have a blast.
I agree that she will touch many lives for the good, she also is interested in the health field, maybe this will turn into a lifetime of service in the DR?

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
While in another Latin country (currently in a *(&*^ crisis of power and oil) I was walking down avenida Bolivar, crushing crowds, and a Mormon looked right at me and said, "Nice a$$". As I was being swept in one direction and he in another, all I could do was manage to yell "I speak English you idiot!"

MG

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
The Mormons

I started a thread about the Mormons sometime ago and it took a religious turn after that and then it was closed.

I've had head to head experience with the Mormons. Generally speaking what is being said here is mostly true. Mormons are somehow taken care of by the community. Even muggers don't touch them. It could be that they are famous for being broke or carrying nothing worth stealing and the girls are not even that good looking or don't dress up in a provocative manner to attract rapists. I have seen these Mormon dudes walking around communities most of us Dominicans would not set foot on. We would be mugged on the spot. We carry cellulars, beepers, gold, etc. We show off too much and even signal on pay days how much money we took from the ATM's.

The Mormons wear cheap white shirts and old fashioned pleated pants. The only visual valuable with some are dirt bikes and fancy helmets. Their backpacks are not that attractive. Lunch money?? No way Jose. They always show up at the right time for lunch or dinner, and Dominicans just love to feed everybody, including stray dogs.

I tried to start conversations with them just to practice my English and be friendly. But after a while I had to hide from them. They just don't give up. These guys could make for good salesmen. I was given a brand new Book of the Mormon by one of them....big mistake accepting it. The guy wouldn't leave me alone and when he was relieved by another duo, he passed along the information..."go after TW, don't let him off the hook"

I have a big gripe. Maybe you could pass it along to the church. If the Mormon church spent hundreds of millions building this fancy temple at Avenida Bolivar(which is not accesible to humans), why couldn't you build the sidewalks and pave the road just in the sorrounding area of the church lot at Mormon Herrera branch??? That church is a dust bowl. It not only affects the neighborhood, but the church itself. Then, the church is not open all the time and the electric transformer which the church placed on the streets is not shared with the neighbors.

The Mormons are viewed because of this as "comesolos". They like a free meal, but they give you nothing. They want you to share your estate with the church, but what does the church give you?

Overall, your daughter could not be in a safer situation. Mormons are even extra careful avoiding traffic accidents or getting run over by motoconchos and cars. I guessed they are blessed by Mr. Smith.

TW

GForce209

Jan 1, 2002
Not really much I can say, your ignorance of Mormons and Dominicans is plainly clear. Mormon church causes dust bowl? Have you ever looked around you at where you are living? It's a third world country. As far as sharing the generator etc., I didn't realize it was up to a church, to take care of an entire country, at least I didn't see too many catholic or evangelicos or testigos sharing anything with anyone else. Your argument is childish and misses the point of most religions in general, it isn't about a free handout. And if you think that a mormon missionary leaves his/her home for two years, can only talk to his family on the phone twice a year, has to pay thier own way, is out walking the streets everyday, decides to learn a new language and agrees to live in a third world country all so they can get a free lunch and dinner at a domnican home, (which many times can get them sick becuase of the water) and yet at the end has a great love for the people and the country. You should check your facts before opening your mouth.

mariposa33

Aug 22, 2002
way to go GForce209
Last time I tried to defend my beliefs on here I got lashed at so bad I thought the second coming was on the way.
I served in 1992-1994......never once begged for food, never once told anyone they couldn't come and participate and partake of anything that the church has.
I also don't understand why golo thinks just because we build a nice church we should support the whole town. And I will say again, the mormon church is the #1 humanitarian group in the world. They give more aid even then the red cross and peace corps.
So please get your facts before you judge!

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Your right about that Peace Corps doesn't hand out aid, we enable people by giving them the skills they need to suceed whether it be agriculture, IT, small business.

Remember hand outs don't solve the problems of the world it's empowering people to make educated choices about how they are going to deal and overcome their economic situations.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have never heard anything negative about the Mormons!!

A friend of mine when to work in a town North of Salt Lake.(She is an Anesthesiologist) she really enjoyed working in Utah."The Mormons all pay their bills"she said!!! The negative "stuff" is said by those who are "jealous",or just "anti" all religions.

Lets not forget that "Leonita" is NOT a Mormon herself,but the mother of a Mormon! I ddoubt that she has much "pull" in Salt Lake!!

I didn't realize that they must pay their own way while on a "Mission" . My respect has increased! CRIC

Status
Not open for further replies.