Bringing US currency to the DR

Handel

Sep 15, 2002
Hello once again everyone,

I'd like to put another issue of concern on the table, something I figue a lot of you have had to deal with when first living in the DR.

Considering that I'll be bringing a reasonable amount of cash with me, and that bringing it in hand in NOT a wise idea !! Would having the money wired to a bank account in the DR be an option? I'm really concerned with the fact that their peso is depreciating to rapidly. To have my cash converted to peso's seems risky.

What are some of the paths you guys have taken?

Regards,
Handel

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What I and many others living in the Sosua area do is to write personal checks. As long as the exchange bank owner/manager has reason to trust you, cashing checks to get pesos is as easy as exchanging dollars.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
On the other hand

If you feel comfortable with our banking stability you could have your money in a dollar account here in DR. You can also use a mixed system such as the one Ken suggests plus a reasonable amount in a local DR dollar account.

But don't even dream of bringing in the money, hiding it or stuff like that. Always the worst happens. Just think...the security people at customs have an extra added incentive to search for money brought in illegally...they have a chance to either be a hero or to keep it for themselves.

TW