Golf Adventures Tour

jlcalbre

Feb 27, 2003
Anyone know anything about the "Golf Adventures" tour that goes to Playa Grande from Playa Dorado. Are they a good outfit? Is there a better way to get there? Thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can call the golf club at 582 0860 and get a tee time. They will tell you what the green fees are, as well as the caddie fees.

You can take a bus from Puerto Plata to Rio San Juan for pennies, and a taxi to the golf club.

I guess it depends on what they charge. Playa Grande is a Must play on anyone's golfing list...up there with Pebble and Bethpage...And at this time of the year it features whales broaching just off shore...Incredible sight...

HB

jlcalbre

Feb 27, 2003
What is tee time availability there and at Playa Dorado. Do I need to book way in advance? The tour company charges $125 for transportation, green fees, drinks, lunch, etc. Is that comparable to wha tI would pay trying to get there on my own?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Watch out for 18, it's a killer!

Playa Grande was US$100 plus another $10 or $15 for a caddie - per cart. They are likely to get you that money back in golf balls by the 9th hole. I've used #88 (Martin) a few times and he's a great guy, very helpful and by all indications a skilled golfer himself.

We played on a Sunday and Monday and had no problem getting on. There was a short wait on the front so we went off the back and only saw a few foursomes in passing where the back meets the front.

I haven't played Dorado, but I'm sure tee-time availability is similar.

Bring lots of balls, film (or blinders). The only thing that could make the course's beauty more distracting would be a gaggle of naked supermodels doing the golfers clap after every shot.

beach.jpg

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Looks like #13, nice dog-leg right and up the hill. Just one of many spectacular holes.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Playa Dorada is a bit busy right now so it is best to ring beforehand if possible. No-one will pay attention to the agreed tee-off time of course, but you will have done your bit by requesting one!!
At Playa Dorada, ask for Ignacio, Raymon (I'm sure that should be Ramon but he always pronounces it Raymon!!), Rafael or Raul. Tell them I sent you & to make sure the balls are bought at the end of the 1st hole - 10 pesos per (almost) new ball, RD $120 per 16!! You can then shank them all back into the water on the second tee!!! Give me a call if you need a partner - I try to get up there twice a week, normally playing 18 holes afternoons/evening. - Grahame.

jlcalbre

Feb 27, 2003
Thanks for the info. That would be great if you wanted to go out and play a round or two. I won't be there until the first week of June but I could definitely use some "local knowledge" on the course.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Speaking of golf courses - our last visit was 'business' and we couldn't check out any of the courses on the north coast. I knew Playa Grande was a Pebble and I heard it was even better than Teeth of the Dog.

So - if staying 2 weeks in Sosua - what are the names of all of the golf courses we could play within 1 hour's drive.

Do any have a package fee, for say one week of golf, instead of paying the $100 daily fee?

I can look all this stuff up on the web - but thought you may have all this in your head.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
JanH.
I'll drop you an e-mail with my thoughts. I may be away in May but I'll try to give you names etc if we can't actually get a round in together!!

jlcarbre
PM or e-mail me giving me details of your June trip when you have a moment. I'll then send you an e-mail back with my Tel. details etc. - Grahame.