We almost killed our dog

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
We brought home our Dominican puppy. She was fine the first day and very playful. We tooks bits of sandwich ham and took turns calling her by her name. She learned very quickly what her name was.

Day 2: We took her to the beach where she threw up. She threw up all the way home. I thought it was the heat. Then she got severe diarrhea

Day 3: The vet gave us some meds, which we gave to her and I gave her some boiled chicken with rice. She seemed to be getting better. Mr. Mainer got some ham and tried working with her again on coming when she was called. She got severly ill again that night.

Day 4: Today. She was very lethargic, and couldnt even keep down water. Mr. M took her to the vet. The first thing that he asked was if we had given her any pork products. He said that even a small amount of ham or pork products can kill a small dog down here. I have no idea why or how this is true, but it made me a believer.

PS She is at the vets for a few days, and he says she is "looking okay". He won't let us bring her home for a few more days. There are other things that it could be, but they are not likely.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Been there,

I found out too late, the kids were very attached when the 1st puppy went.

Check the internet, PARVO. Very prevelent on the island. If your puppy has this, no matter how well you keep house, you will have to wait 90 days before you try agian.

I really hope it's something else.

Tim H.

Last edited:

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Tom,
The vet doesnt think it is Parvo, because the other two pups that were kenneled with this one aren't sick, and because of the rapid onset.

What is your opinion on this?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Ham and most other pork products in the DR are loaded with salt. Keep it away from the pup.
They do sell dogfood in the DR. Nothing that you can make will be better for your pup.
It can be PARVO(Parvoviral influenza). It does has a rapid onset and can attack only one dog in a kennel!

Who is your Vet?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
What NOT to Feed

Because some human foods are dangerous for dogs, it's enerally not a good idea to feed table scraps. Besides risking obesity and bad manners in your dog, some people foods can cause health problems. Even some lower- quality dog foods and treats may have unhealthy ingredients (e.g., salt) that can pose risks to your dog's health. Again, the best course is not to give your dog food that is intended for people, but if you do, or if your dog sometimes gets into something uninvited, check the labels on the foods in your home, as well as on the dog foods and treats you give to your dog.

Chocolate: Chocolate contains an ingredient called theobromine, which is similar to caffeine. This chemical causes your dog's heart to race, which can lead to hyperactive behaviour, diarrhea, and vomiting. In very large amounts, theobromine can lead to kidney malfunction, seizures, and even death. Dark chocolate and cocoa are particularly dangerous since they carry very high quantities of theobromine.

Salt: Unlike ours, a dog's body cannot process excess salt. Especially in an older dog, too much salt can cause kidney damage. Foods like french fries; canned soup broth, sauces, and
gravies; and even cheese contain high amounts of salt and are unhealthy for dogs of any age.

Onions and garlic: Members of the onion family (leeks, onions, garlic, scallions, etc.) can cause liver damage, as well as a rare form of anaemia, in dogs. The risk is posed by both the raw and cooked forms, as well as by onion and garlic powders.

Raw eggs: Uncooked chicken eggs pose the risk of salmonella poisoning to dogs as well as to people. Egg whites contain a protein called avidin, which can inactivate essential nutrients
(i.e., biotin) in your dog's body.

Bones: Chicken, pork, and beef rib bones can splinter in your dog's mouth, throat, or stomach, causing cuts or piercing the intestinal wall. In severe cases, internal bleeding can
cause death. Large dogs can easily break off and swallow whole pieces of bones that are too large to pass through their digestive tracts, with extremely dangerous and even life-threatening results. And fish bones are as dangerous for dogs as they are for humans.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I dont' know of any dominican in my village that actually fed their dog "dog food" (none would have been able to afford such stuff) mostly they ate rice, con-con with habichela, the left over grease, the bones which I've never seen a dog die from yet.

Same thing with pigs, they are fed everything and anything including by products of themselves. Meaning the left overs that are in the pot of a locrio de cerdo. Chicken feathers, orange peels you name it and they slop it up.

Same thing we my family lived in Africa, you couldn't even buy dog food, it was just table scraps. I think you should take percautions what you feed your pets. But my experience is many Dominican in the campo that I am refering too feed their pets table scraps.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
The vet doesn?t think it is Parvo,

Ask around for a new Vet, although the symptoms you described are similar to Parvo, I am not a Vet.

But then again if I was.............
The only thing, I would have to THINK about is, doing the blood test on all your puppies.
And waiting for the test results.

IF it's Parvo, you will need to start the treatments for the other puppies too. The reason it comes on so quick is, it already advanced through the dog and you are seeing the latent stages.

Also if it's Parvo, the virus can live up to 3 months on your floors, clothing, the ground the dog used outside.

The upside is, once your dog has built up their immunity to it, you won't have to deal with it again.

A note to anybody buying a dog.
Make sure they had the shots for this before you bring the dog home, and have a blood test done for it's presence. This applies to puppies more than adult dogs.

Thanks
Tim H.

P.S.
Also, I gave up on getting a puppy from the pro's. I grabbed one off the street, had the vet come for all the shot's and test's. and we now have a happy faithfull member of the family!

Last edited:

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Thanks Tim,

I understand the time period for bringing in a new dog, but can we bring her back home should she live? She would be immune, wouldnt she?

This puppy was a stray that the vet had picked up. We got her from the same person that Grahame got his, and he has nice dogs!

Just to clarify. We don't as a rule give our dogs table food. Boiled chicken broth with rice and small amounts of pureed chicken is easier to digest than dog food for a dog with gastrointestinal illness. That is what we did with our dogs in the States, and it always seemed to work. The ham, well that was a stupid replacement for dog "biscuits".

Mainer

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Ken,
That is where she is right now! I have full confidence that he will return her to good health, if possible.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Tim,
She comes home today. We are going to pick her up this afternoon. We were advised to change her puppy food and mix it with yogurt to see how she does on that.

mainer

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Yogurt?
Your Vet is an Idiot! No Milk products for your dog! It will just give him dirrahea. give him fresh water and Vitamin and calcium supplements.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Tony about the milk products.
Could the vet be progressive enough to be suggesting "good bacteria" for the puppy's tummy? After all the anti-biotics, he'll need some acidophilus to keep his digestion in check.
Hope he stays healthy.
mk

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
mk,
That is exactly why he has suggested the yogurt. He was very clear that we give her NO LECHE. She is home and doing fine. Now if we could just get her housebroken........

bobnoxious

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 2, 2002
He's a bonehead....

Yogurt is sold next to milk and eggs. It doesn't take a Dominican Rocket Scientist to figure that out. Don't feed it anything like that.

Stick with the rice mixed with ground beef or chicken...which is what most canned dog food is made of. Bland and good for the little perros. And if you ever get to the point where he/she can down anything, make sure it's not cooked. Raw chicken and raw pork will not harm a dog...it's when you cook, then it's a problem...splinters and such.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
1st thing you need to do is get a crate to housebreak the puppy.

2nd thing you need to do is to NOT use treats to train the dog. Use praise.

Parvo strikes quickly and they do NOT recover from it to get sick again with out it being treated so I would rule out Parvo in this case. Ask your vet about the possibility of Giardia. Can have the same symtoms and is treated with pills. Nasty little one celled protozoa.

I use to be good with dogs. Hell I use to be good with women also. Good luck!

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Re: He's a bonehead....

bobnoxious said:
Yogurt is sold next to milk and eggs. It doesn't take a Dominican Rocket Scientist to figure that out. Don't feed it anything like that.

Wrong!!!!! Milk, no - yogurt, s?. Oh, and eggs don't come from cows. :)

mainer, sounds like your Dr. Bob is following the same course of action recommended by competent US Vets.

Yogurt is not considered the same as milk products because it is fermented ; sort of pre-digested if you will. It can certainly be used as a therapeutic dietary supplement.

Raw meats of any kind are to be avoided. Pathogenic bacteria are often found in meats, especially those meats in places like the DR where there are sanitation and refrigeration deficiencies.

Dry dog food is the best diet. Convenient, safe, nutritionally sound, and good for their teeth.

The technical opinions listed above are those of my daughter, a licensed Veterinarian in the state of Illinois, USA.

Swede

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
What Swede said. Scientific Rocks are the best for a dog. Depending on age and type would depend on what fat/protein content I would recommend. Puppies I would recommend higher fat and protein. Also good for teeth and gums.

Another tip if your dog is teething get some kelp at a health food store and use as a supplement.