Bus Strike????

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
On my way back from our monthly shopping trip. heading West,
out of the Capital, on George Washington Ave, around 5pm a little before Metal Dome, all traffic was directed North. I followed the traffic around to the toll boths.

We went through Military, Police, and about 300 parked buses being towed away, 1 at a time, to make room for traffic. It looked like the groups of people yelling were about to start something bigger.

Anybody know what this was about?

Thanks
Tim H.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tim, this was a clash between rival bus operators: there has been a dispute between one of the main public transport unions and the companies that run the route between the capital and San Cristobal for some time now. Don't know the exact details but it's had plenty of press coverage and this evening the TV news reported that union leader and Osama Bin Laden lookalike Juan Hubieres (sp?) had been arrested along with others for their actions in today's clashes at the peaje.

Chiri

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
This is from my "I'm not going to let the thought of problems stop me from my activities book, plan ahead". Yesterday, Friday, my wife and I traveled to Bani from the Capital late morning and returned early afternoon. We traveled through San Cristobal (the wife wanted to check out the market in San Cristobal) via Haina. It is what I consider the old route, all the while being aware there had been and still was a threat of trouble between the transport companies. But, I gambled that there would be no problems in the AM, figured the unions would be working at that time to get the membership whipped up into a frenzy to do their dirty work in the PM. When we returned to the Capital from Bani we took the what I consider the expressway, bypassing central San Cristobal and fortunately avoiding any problems along the bus route to the Capital. Luck would have it, we were not caught up in it. Regards, PJT