Costa Rica

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Sucks compared to the DR. Roads suck and make the DR's worst roads look like super highways. Expensive and not nearly the charm of the DR. I do have great pics that i will share and go more in depth when I return.

Escott

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
Jazzcom

What part of the country were you in? There was a guy from work that recently went down to the interior part of the country. It was up in the valley surrounded by mountains, for all I know that might be 70% of the country, however he was there at a paper mill and really like the area, people and prices.

Just wondering.

Jerry

osner

Feb 16, 2003
costa rica

If you went to the capital i know for experience that the place is horrible.....but if you go to the coast side, Costa Rica is beautifull, the beaches are gorgeous..but nothing will be compared to DR.

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
Of course the city sucks but not sure where you spent most of your time? Did you see any of the volcanos or other nature there? Your cost of living is off, in my mind. I spent quite a long time there, I lived in a house with a Nicaraguan maid at my beck and call, 3 meals a day for $500 a month/ Not expensive in my opinion. The most breathtaking experience I had there was on the northern coast towards the lake of Nicaragua in the C.R. countryside called Upala, absolutely spectacular unspoiled scenery living in a tin roof hut for a short while. I actually loved the west coast beaches and I'm from white sandy beaches in FLA.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Started off in San Jose... That is where the international airport is. About the worst city I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. Poorly laid out and difficult to get around in. I won't even talk about the polution, sewers running in the streets exposed.

Went to Arenel the first night. All the hotels were sold out and not a soul at any restaurants. Found a decent place with cabins facing the Volcano. Only 76- bux a night which was a bargain there. Didn't nearly compare to the place I stay in Sosua for $30 a night. People were nice at the hotel. Foggy and couldnt see the Lava.

Went to Montecristi and Santa Helena cloud forrest the next day. Found a nice place to stay although by most standards it was a dump compared to the place I stay in the DR. A bargain at 75 a night. We didn't care, we didn't spend much time in the room.

Did the "Original Canopy Tour" which was exhilerating. Wires were strung between trees at the tops and ran for hundreds of feet. You have a harness that they attach to the cable and you fly through the air. Then you repel down off the trees. Quite the experience.

Drove the next day to Manuel Antonio National Park. Of course I drove 4 hours of which 3 hours were NOT paved and about the worst roads you can possibly imagine. Beautiful beaches and a great Park which we hiked through. Saw White Faced Monkeys, 3 toed Sloths, Caitis and all sorts of birds. Also inside the park were beautiful beaches and of course views. Rented a bungalow that was bigger than we needed with 2 bedrooms but also a dump compared to the place I rent in Sosua. Cost 80 dollars a night. Drinks, food and lodging were almost 2x what I am used to paying in Sosua or even Boca Chica. (I wasn't too thrilled with Boca Chica BTW.) Stayed here for 4 days to relax.

Last night was spent at the Hampton Inn at the Airport for 104-bux

Food prices were as much as I pay in NY which was a surprise since the prices are so cheap in the DR and like the DR labor is cheap cheap cheap. They have local food restaurants called "Sodas" which had good food and cheap. Sanitation wasn't great but you have to close your eyes to what you expect and just eat it the way they serve it. Gringo places were not as good as the typical restaurants were and 4x to 6x the prices. There simply wasn't a Rockys type place or an Eddys type place that you can have a reasonably good meal at a reasonable price.

Water was potable and brushed my teeth from the facet without a problem.
Roads? What a joke. Have you ever been on a dirt road? These roads are rock roads and you cant go more than 15 mph without having your teeth and kidneys in dire straights. Made me pray for a dirt road. Sometimes when I was driving there were just parts of the road missing and sheer falls of hundreds of feet were common. If I ever hear anyone complaining about the pot holes in the DR again on DR1 I am going to puke and then I am going to shoot the dopes.

I liked the people who are called Ticos and Ticas. Both the men and the women were attractive looking people. The people that worked in the tourist areas spoke great English. Nice folks that I would be able to live with and next to.

Geography was absolutely amazing. One of the most beautiful countries I have ever visited. Climates changed every hour and so did the geography. I took about 100 pics that were so good they should win awards. When I get back down to earth and things settle down I will post them at another site such as worldisround or another of the free picture hosting sights and post the link here.

I don't think I will be going back to Costa Rica although I am glad I went and it had been on my short list for a retirement destination.

There was a LOT of the country that I didn't see such as more than half the country. I was only there 8 days and hardly consider myself an expert on Costa Rica as I believe that I am on parts of the DR. I only saw the Pacific Ocean and there is another side that fronts the Carribean which I didn't get to see at all. These comments are just my personal feelings and I am sure we have all heard very negative comments about the DR here which many of us disagree with.

More to come if anyone is interested...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Jazzcom, you are right on the money. Costa rica is no big deal and all the hype (by hippies) doesn't hold up to anything we have in DR. I was there many years ago and stayed there for 3 weeks; like you, I am glad I went there but I don't think I would be visiting there any time soon.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Scotty

Thanks Scotty,
I wanted to see Costa Rica but you saved me the trip.Do me a favor and go to Thailand next.Let me know if it is worth it.LOL
Larry

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
I will need AZB to translate there for me! Or should I just let my money do my talking? LOL Thailand is on my list and I will go there maybe this summer after I do some research. I find summer trips to the DR not as enjoyable as other times of the year. A bit too hot and for some reason the Airfare is way high at that time which I don't understand.

How about organizing a trip to Cuba from the DR AZB? Man that is a place I want to see before it is opened up. Did that boat start running out of POP? Anyone know?

See you guys in less than 3 weeks.

Escott

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I would love to do the Cuba boat thing too.Just dont tell the US govt or any of the Kennedys.
Larry

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok cuba is on guys. The boat trip is not worth it. Its a 4 day trip which takes 1 1/2 day to get there and the same time to come back. We will be lucky if we get to spend a day in the island. Thats not enough to see the place and to hunt at the same time. I suggest we go to havana or to santiago de cuba for a week and fly there. I think i have some connections there.
lets talk about it on the next trip to DR (scotty / larry).

DamnYankee

Feb 9, 2003
Flights are pretty cheap going to Cuba from the Bahamas, how are they from the DR? It seemed to be fairly expensive last time I looked in to it. I've wanted to go to that place for years! I'm yet to find people crazy enough to do it with though. My friends are a little too conservative, thier amazed every time I come back alive from the DR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would guess about US$300 return Santo Domingo - Havana. Well worth it! If you go be sure to visit Trinidad, a 5 hour bus journey from Havana.

Chiri

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Scott,

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like Costa Rica. Last I was there was 3 yrs ago and it started to be expensive, land prices have gone up significantly since then and so has real estate.
Any interesting investment vehicles in the country?

ecarignan

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
ecarignan said:
Scott,

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like Costa Rica. Last I was there was 3 yrs ago and it started to be expensive, land prices have gone up significantly since then and so has real estate.
Any interesting investment vehicles in the country?

ecarignan

I liked Costa Rica but it just sucked when I compare it to the enjoyment I find in the DR. I did come back with a business idea that would work in the DR though. If you read what I wrote I think you will see that I believe it is a beautiful country but as a destination it just didn't hold a candle to the DR.

There was a company called "Brothers" that was closed by the government that was paying 3% a month in US dollars. Everyone got completely screwed. Some investors said that the government screwed it all up and that they were getting paid for years without a problem but when Costa Rica shut it down there wasn't one cent found and everyone lost every penny invested.

One fellow told me about another group that was paying 2.5% a month but he was sworn to secrecy and wouldnt tell me the name. I don't think I would take the chance there. I am happy in where I am at the moment.

You still in the DR?

Escott

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
No. I came back yesterday in the snow and cold, but I know I will be back in the DR so I'm happy. Make your money in america and make it grow in the DR.

I met up with Alberto and Grahame, more on this off line.

Jazz

Jazzcom, you are absolutely right when you say Costa Rica sucks in comparison to the DR, roads are shitty, cities are worse than SD both Liberia and San Jose, beaches are quite nice in the Papagayo area although black sand but do not match Punta Cana. Even though it is further south than the DR a more moderate climate and even cooler in the mountains. The canopy tour is impressive. I will only return if I get a very good deal.