Train from SD to Santiago

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
I read somewhere that a rail system from SD to Santiago was approved and soon to be built, and it will be the first rail in the country.

I thought I saw I seen in "Time of The Butterflies where one or all of the sisters were getting on a train.

seen..scene..obscene!!

Last edited:

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
The railway line from the port of Haina to Santiago will not be the frist railway in the country. As far as I know there was one from La Vega to Sanchez in former times. Surely the elder Dominican people of this forum will know more about it.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
There is a building in Sanchez that supposedly houses some railraod cars from the rail line that served to transport cane. I don't know much about it, or whether it had passenger service, but I would surely like to know.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, there was a train that ran to Sanchez. Some of the old cars and equipment can still be seen there. Unfortunately, it has not been cared for; no effort has been made to preserve this piece of history.

At the time of the train, the Bay of Samana was a major port for ships from all over the world. Passengers were arriving and departing, and the products produced, for example, in Samana, such as chocolate, were being shipped to Europe and the US.

Once the highways connecting the country to Santo Domingo were constructed, Samana Bay lost its value as an international port. Products from the Cibao and elsewhere were sent to Santo Domingo by highway to be shipped from there.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't buy your ticket just yet!!!!

So far this "project" looks like just another way to line the pockets of the politicians! The company with the "So-called" contract has never built a railroad before!!! There is a story in the DR1 news archives about this (?????????) I 'm at a loss to call,"IT", anything! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccris

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
If this isn't a hare brain idea?

Aside from building a Panama Canal type project from Puerto Plata to Haina, I don't know of anything more stupid than the Haina to Santiago train.

When people already can travel comfortably in modern buses to and from Santiago, I can't imagine anybody driving to Haina, paying an excessive highway tool, then pay a hefty parking fee to hold you car and risk your life in a patronage driven train, where maintenance will be non-existent and delays will be the order of the day.

I can almost imagine when the train passes by Villa Altagracia getting huge rocks thrown at it by the town's vandals. Then I can almost see the train conductor crossing his fingers at every crossroad hoping a drunk driver doesn't challenge the train's right of way. Then, during a blackout you could just sit there for hours waiting for electricity, while gang of muggers sorround the train in a desolated area. The electric gates and warning lights will not work with a blackout, leaving the train at the mercy of gate jumpers and trains in opposite ways colliding because of faulty lights. What about stray cows, donkeys and horses challenging the train moving at high speeds?

Who is going to protect the tracks from being dismantled by metal and wood thieves? Who's going to protect the tracks from vandals, when our police and army can't protect our border?

TW

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
It might not be as bad as you think

I can't say that I'm very informed about this issue, but there is one thing I can be sure off: If a train is built between Haina and Santiago its main purpose will not be to move people around.

First of all, as you well say, who the heck is going to drive to Haina to catch a train????

But, more importantly, think about the hundreds of containers that leave the Zona Franca at Santiago each week and what the cost of moving those containers around is. This is what the train promoters have set their eyes on. I have no idea if they have prepared a decent value-based analysis of the whole thing, but if you ask me I don't think it's a crazy idea at all.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree, jojocho: anything that frees up the roads from all those smoke-belching heavy goods vehicles cannot be a bad thing. It gets my vote.

I would also welcome a passenger train - for the simple fact that train journeys are scenic and romantic.

And the best thing would be that we could then start a Trainspotters' Forum on DR1 that would make the airline forum crowd actually look cool!

Chiri

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Train to nowhere but corruption

If you didn't pay attention to what I said, maybe this will help. Yesterday, the con-man Hippo and his stalwarts hired to build this train to nowhere was just sentenced to two years in prison by a Puerto Rican U.S. Federal Court for corruption.

Jose Miguel Ventura Asilis(Cuquito), a well known Dominican mafiosi was caught with his hands in the cookie jar in the wrong place. However, he was a VIP at our national palace and could get into Hippo's office any day.

This man, who tried to convince the judge that he was just conducting business as usual, bribing government officials to get juicy contracts, is the same man who is going to build this railroad for Hippo.

Let me know if you want to buy advance tickets for the grand opening of the train at Vieques Island Federal Prison.

TW

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
The train in the Time of the butterflies was another one of those liberties that were taken to change the movie by its prodcution company.

One of many I might add.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
A.J. said:
The train in the Time of the butterflies was another one of those liberties that were taken to change the movie by its prodcution company.

One of many I might add.

Thanks for the input A.J., I was under the impression that rail never existed in DR, by all the hoopla over the proposed Haina-Santiago "line". Which brings me to another point - if rail was in place back then, why would the country let it go by the wayside, and why did it take this long to consider another such project?

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Hey Golo

I didn't say that it was a good idea to give the project to this Puertorican mafioso, just that the project itself and as a separate entity is not necessarily a bad idea.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
I think I might be able to get some info on this.

If you guy's are interested

My Wife?s Papa, is retired now.
But for over 20 years, he was a Locomotive Engineer, for the trains that transported Sugar Cane, from the plantations not to far from here. I'll have my wife put some history together with him and ask to borrow some of his photo's. He has an incredible collection of pic's. All B/W, allot of the engines used, the rail yards, along the tracks while under steam.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Socuban -

Sorry what I meant in my post was it was a liberty that the production team took at changing the historical accuracy of the movie/book. I would start a whole commentary on it, however for that I need to to start a new thread and ....welll just do not have the time right now.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
If you guy's are interested

Timex, count me in. I have a feeding frenzy for DR history going on! And pics? bonus round!

My now retired dentist and cohort is a big train buff - he'll especially like to read these posts. If only I can figure out a way to get him to the DR (he won't fly!) to see the relics (and have a couple of cold ones etc.)

Gotta go shovel some snow!

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
IDEED THE TRAIN TRACKS STILL LIES THERE

My familly own property in which the railroad tracks are my grandma and grandfather useD the railroad to travel from one point to the other in the island their famillies used to own CACAO plantations also (MARMOL MINES) in Samana, my great grand parents were the owners of the now deceased Los Cacaos Port she even have old pictures, the train last stop i think it was next to Sanchez central park in the Samana Province, goods were transported from and to the Arroyo Barril Port to Sanchez to elsewhere in the island (Arroyo barril now has an Airport) when i was a little kid my father and i used to go and see the big cruise liners at the dock.

Miami is too dam boring geee!

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
If I remember correctly

there is part of an old train sitting on train tracks in Moca. It was supposedly in operation eons ago. Locals use it as a landmark now.

Carabella

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Train,call 1 800 Via Rail

Since Jean (Smiley)Chretien is in partners with the Hippo may I suggest transfering the Via Rail team here it will help the biggest money losing project in Canada and when it loses money here it will be normal anyway.J.H.:confused: