From Barcelona (Spain) to Santo Domingo

Jimena

Mar 3, 2003
Hi! My name is Jimena, I am from Barcelona. I Might be going to Santo Domingo for 6 months to work with a Non Profit Organization called Funredes, located there (Gazcue).
I was looking for some information at internet about living there when I found this FANTASTIC site! I feel so relief!
Anyone happens to know someone looking for a roomate? Would you be so kind to give me some advice? Anything will be very appreciated! As you can observe I am plenty of questions!!!
:-DDD May be too many? I am trying now to decide to move or not, what personally for me is quite difficult because I lived in many places and I am attached to my people here now...
Thanks a lot!
Hugs from the Mediterranean part of the world ;-)
Jimena

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Hola Jimena!

There is a lot of information in the archives, as well as some very interesting articles. I highly recommend reading a post by Timex called Moving to the DR, our story. After that you should use the serach function to get answers to more specific questions you might have.

If you still have questions afterwards post them and I?m sure you?ll get plenty of answers, just make sure they?re very specific questions as those are the ones that produce the best answers.

Good luck!

Jojocho

Jimena

Mar 3, 2003
Hola, Jojocho! Thank you so much for your advice!!! I appreciate it! Yes, you are right! I'm sorry !!!I was so glad to find this site that I sent quickly a message :)
I have been reading the messages in the diferent forums :)

So, some questions...
My probable situation will be 6 months in Santo Domingo. The Offices are in Gazcue.

I think that the best thing to do is to rent a room and the cheapest (please correct me if I am wrong)

I would love to live in Barrio Colonial.. but I dare that will be quite expensive ;-) :-DDDDDD

How much could be the cost for renting a room in Gazcue per month?

It is difficult to find a place?

Someone could give a little description or opinion of that area? I am so curious!

From Barcelona, the only way to look for a room would be the Listin Diario?

Anyone knows nice Spanish people in Santo Domingo who I could communicate with?

I read somewhere (I have been reading information almost all day) that 20.000/30.000 pesos is a high salary... Is that right?

How much is a private medical inssurance in RD?

How much is a cinema ticket, for example? And a normal meal at a restaurant?

In Spain we go out for lunch, that is very common... Thats why We have "Men? del d?a" what prices go from 6 to 9 euros or US dollars.
Any comments on that related to Santo Domingo?

I am trying to figure out how much money do I need...

Is transport expensive?

Sorry... to bother with so many questions. I really do appreciate your help :)

Hugs from Barcelona,

Jimena

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
all the answers... almost

Hola Jimena!

I'll try to answer all your questions:

Barrio Colonial - It's actually called the Zona Colonial, and no, it should not be too expensive. Most of the houses there are run-down but charming. There are places that rent rooms, or you could try for a flat-share.

In Gazcue rents vary. An apartment can be as little as RD$7,000 or sometimes less but you'd have to be lucky. If you find someone who wants to share you are looking at less.

It's not difficult to find a place, there are ads in the papers or if you walk round the streets (Gazcue and Z Colonial) you will see 'se alquila' signs here and there.

Both Z Colonial and Gazcue are great areas, they would be my first choice for living in SD as long as the place was in one of the quieter streets. In both areas some streets are very noisy - traffic, loud music from colmados (corner shops) or bars. Make sure you take this into account if you want peace and quiet. I like both areas because you can live there and walk around shady streets, go to shops without using a car, in the evenings there are lots of bars and restaurants. It's also near the sea. There are plenty of old houses - Spanish colonial, 1930s villas and green areas, in the ZColonial there are lots of plazas and cafes.

I don't know which of the Dominican papers carry online classifieds, if the Listin does that is usually a good source anyway. You could try to get your future colleagues in FUNREDES to look out for you too.

There are lots of Spanish people here, working in the NGO sector and elsewhere, it is a small world and you'll find each other quickly. In the Z colonial there are places like Casa Cultural de Espa?a and Casa de Teatro where there are lots of cultural activities and a good atmosphere.

The salary you mention is high by Dominican standards. Most people in the NGO sector earn less so you've got a good one there! The minimum wage here is about 2,000 pesos... of course for some of our wealthy Dominican DR1ers your salary is mere peanuts.

Does your employer not include private medical insurance as part of the package? Double check this one because they usually do. Prices vary.

Cost of living - a cinema ticket costs up to RD$120 at the newest, luxury multiplexes. The others still charge under 100. A normal meal at a restaurant - depends - you can eat well for less than RD$500 in most nice places. Of course at the lower end of the market you can eat for RD$50! Your basic lunch should not set you back much more than RD$100 but it really depends where you go. In Gazcue there are some cheap and cheerful eateries, but also several good restaurants.

Public transport is cheap. Shared taxis (carros publicos) and buses are a few pesos. A taxi anywhere in the city should not charge more than RD$60 or 70 especially if you are streetwise and speak Spanish. Intercity travel is very good and very cheap.

Buena suerte and don't hesitate to contact me if you have more questions.

Chirimoya (una vecina del sur)

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Barcelona has some of the most beautiful women in the world. Great city on the Mediterranean.

Jimena

Mar 3, 2003
Gracias Chirimoya!!! Genial!!! Eres un sol!!!!

Thank you too for your time and help :) Now I can say that I figured out! ;-)

Cinema and Restaurant is almost the same price as here. Interesting.

No, no medical insurance, I need to look for one... Any recommendations?

Seems very easy to find a room in RD, and again the prices are very similar to the Barcelona ones.
Do you think that a little dream like a nice quite room in Zona Colonial with aircon could cost 7000/8000 pesos dominicanos?

Working hours... haw many are tehy in RD? Here We have the 40 hours per week (France and Germany, 35 in many places) 45 days per year for hollydays, add 4 days for private reasons.

How many hours do you work? Is that the average?

Thanks again!!!

Jimena

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
more answers

The middle class cost of living In the DR is mostly equivalent to that in Europe. Of course the vast majority of people here don't EVER go to the cinema, the good restaurants, or even a supermarket.

There are several medical insurance companies. We use Universal America through my husband's professional association, but my former employers used a different one (SDS?). You'd have to do your own research to see what packages are on offer to you as an individual and which suits you best.

Again, in looking for a room you have to shop around and compare pros and cons. Perhaps Jan who posts on DR1 and lives in the ZC is worth contacting for more specific advice. You could send her a PM.

Working hours in offices are usually 8:30-5:30 with an hour for lunch, Mon-Fri. Holidays depend on the institution but around 4 weeks a year + public holidays: there are quite a few here.

I work freelance at the moment but have been employed by an INGO and local NGOs here in the past. In both cases you were expected to work some unsocial hours - e.g. for project visits on weekends - so they were fairly flexible on the Mon-Fri horario.

Glad to be of help!

Chiri

Jimena

Mar 3, 2003
;) SuperChiri!!!! SuperGracias!!!!

Thanks a lot again and again. I am printing all your answers they will part of new bible!!! :-DDDDDDD

Un enorme abrazo de Mediterr?neo y agradecimiento,

Jimena

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Hints

You have not mentioned owning a car, have you? I am guessing you will not have one. In that case, if you look for a place in Gazcue you should look for an apartment or room in a house near Independencia or Bolivar Avenues. Independencia Avenue has both "concho/voladoras" and OMSA buses running west to east and Bolivar Avenue has it going east to west. The closer you are to Maximo Gomez Avenue the better. Then you will have easy access to north and south transportation. The other major north south corridor would be Dr. Delgado Ave., which is closer to the colonial area.

The Colonial area is made for walking. There are areas with easy access to concho and buses near Parque Independencia. It is extremely difficult for people who own cars. All cars must park in the streets, which leaves them defenseless to car thieves.

$7000/8000 will get you almost any room you want in those two areas, including utilities, cable and other goodies. Normally this is the rate for full apartments. The newer condos are more expensive and may even require payment in dollars(as much as US$1000 to $2500).

Definetly stay away from the area around Parque Eugenio Maria de Hostos, anything within two blocks from El Malecon and Calle El Conde. Don't rent anything next to or very near a government office(Palace of Justice and Clinica Abreu specially), universities or Consulate/Embassies like Spain, or Haiti, unless you prefer to be awaken by noise levels that exceed Times Square. Overall Gazcue and Colonial zones are noisy as it is, so don't make it worse for you. The area around Parque Independencia is close to transportation but full of bums, beggars,whores, sleazy hotels and colmadones.

TW

TW

Jimena

Mar 3, 2003
;) Gracias, Tongo!!! Very, very good hints!
In fact I am not going to have a car. The plan is to be there only for 6 months and then I will be back home here in Barcelona. For those 6 months I would like to be able to find something confortable as near the office as possible. I am realizing that the cost of a room in Santo Domingo is equal to the ammount we pay hear for an appartment. Santo Domingo looks expensive in accomodation.

Thank so so much for your usefull advice ;-)

Hugs from Barcelona,

Jimena :)

Jimena

Mar 3, 2003
OOOps!!!Apparently Tongo means something in Dominican Spanish...
:-DDDDDDD My first cultural mistake before even deciding to go to Santo Domingo
So... what does it mean?

Sorry Golo!!!

Jimena :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tongo

I can now reveal that 'Tongo' is no other than the love-child of TW and mondongo.

Not literally, you understand... Jimena had one eye on the complimentary post by mondongo about beautiful women in Barcelona, while responding to the helpful post from golo/TW.

Easily done...BTW Barcelona is one of my favourite cities too.

Chiri

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mol Be!!!

I will check out some things in the Listinn for you, see if there are any apts for rent. Tongo it is, from now on.

TONGOTONGOTONGO!!!!!!

HB who loves Catalan!.... Mallorca style...

Pobre Bar?a!

Later: I just looked and there were five apts for rent from 13,500 to 9000...At 13,500 it was furnished...I'll keep looking

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Jimena said:
;) I am realizing that the cost of a room in Santo Domingo is equal to the ammount we pay hear for an appartment. Santo Domingo looks expensive in accomodation.

Jimena: Are you saying you can get an apartment in Barcelona for about $350.00 USD, 'cause that would be really cheap.

Jimena

Mar 3, 2003
:)) Hi! Ok, ok, ok... with Tongo, but I think that Golo is a much better name. Chirimoya is right in her appreciations... But not on the positive side of it :)

Hola superChiri! Qu? alegr?a encontrarte por aqu?!

By the way, I am not Catalan, I am from the north, from Asturias (it looks like Ireland)

GOLO
So, If I am the one changing his name, I rechange it again!!! Golo forever!!! Well... may be Golo himself should say something!

Al meu amic catal? HillBilly!
Hola, maco!
Escolta! A mi tamb? m'agrada molt el catal? de Mallorca ;-) Segur que t'agradaria que t'em port?s una miqueta de sobrassada, oi que si? :-DDDDDDDD

Thank you for your help, amic meu :)!!!!! I do appreciate a lot!!!

I am not looking for an appart but for a room or a flatmate.

SuarezN
Prices in Barcelona
Barcelona, San Sebasti?n and Madrid are the most expensive cities in Spain.
I live 15 minutes from Plaza Catalu?a, so I am almost downtown, in Ensache. My appartement is from the XIX century, no lift, sunny, 5 rooms, quiet, the subway is 3 minuts walking and I pay 400 euros (equal in US dollars) per month. That is the average and here for us is expensive, well We think so. A room now in Barcelona can cost from 200 until 450 euros. Of course that depends where you live, as usual. In both Barcelona an d Madrid you can find very cheap things and the most expensive ones too
Last week it was sold the most expensive appartement of Barcelona in Paseo de GRacia for 7,5 milllions euros. Gabriel Garc?a M?rques used to live in that avenue and is where you will find boutiques like Coco Chanel, Armani, Yves Saint Laurent, Donna Karan etc etc etc

Thanks again for your kindness, Hugs from the Mediterranean sea ;-)

Jimena

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Absolutamente...

Asturias? Aqu? c?si todos los Espa?oles son Gallegos!!

And Yes I would love some sobrassadas!! It has been years since I have had any...Wrap it very good and don't tell anyone you have it!!

I will keep looking for places In Gasque. I have an aunt down there...

HB, amic seu (?) Is that right?

Jimena

Mar 3, 2003
Hola! Llavors si hi vaig et purtar? sobrassada envasada al vuit ;-)

Moltes merc?s per el teu ajut!

We Spanish are called gallegos all along Latin America!!! The same jokes all along the continent (Hernan Cort?s 's fault) We tell the same jokes here adressing people from Lepe (a beautiful and rich little village in Andalucia) or about the National Police
:-DDDDDDDDDDDDDD

EL "seu amic" is a bit too formal, it is better "el teu amic"

Petonets,

Jimena