Santiago Jazz concerts every Monday

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have been living in the DR for over 3 years now, (Santiago) and I haven?t been out much because I find the quality of local entertainment and activities lacking in general, basically I like things that are unique and of quality but I?m not rich by any means.

I was quickly bored with the local nightclubs being so mainstream and was a bit put off by the famous cliquishness of Santiago young people, but I found a really cool place to go on Monday nights that I think may be of interest to foreigners, it?s the impromptu Jazz concerts at the Casa de Arte every Monday. (I think locals call the place ?el 37? so it shouldn?t be hard to get directions.) Admittance is only 30 pesos and the music is of a quality that you just can?t hear many places in the world, the best local musicians basically get together to play for and with each other and it?s just really cool. Check it out if you get a chance, the music usually starts around 9:30-10:00 and the drinks are very reasonably priced.

I would be interested if anybody else has found cool places to hang out, I'd like to get out more but I get enough Merengue, Bachata and Pop during the day so when I go out I really want something different, let me know if you found anything you like.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
La 37 por las tablas

That's what the place is actually called.

The coolest thing about it is that the guys who perform there is that they do it just for the love of music, and the owners of the place also do it out of love of art rather than as a business. That's why the drinks are so cheap and the atmosphere is so relaxed.

For those interested they also offer a lot of workshops during the day (theater, music, etc.)

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
When I went home after training last year, my neighbor told me about her 6 month trip to Santiago. She stayed at her cousin's place and absolutely loved it, then she mentioned something about a place that had poetry readings and jazz music all the time down there. I lived in Santo Domingo for 6 years and never found any places that had that kind of activity going on, maybe it was because of my age and the things I was doing at the time that it didn't happen but hopefully when I go down there in December , things change for me.