wanting to teach

childview

Mar 4, 2003
I'm an education student in edmonton canada. I have a year left in my degree and i was interested in moving to the DR to teach. i've looked into a few american international schools (because i do not speak spanish fluently) they seem pretty appealing. however, i would also be interested in teaching English as a second language. I can't find a lot of information on that though. I'm an English major with a Special Education minor. Does anybody know of what kind of opportunities I could investigate in the DR? Please help if you can!!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Plenty of opportunities

As you'll see with almost any question regarding employment here in the DR, your best bet is to get here first.

Have you traveled here before?

Are you looking to make money, or expand your life experiences (hint: only one will happen).

I'm not sure your educational background is going to make a huge difference in what you get paid, or where you work. You're likely to be an extremely valuable addition to any school.

IMO: Be somewhat selfish, determine your reason for coming/being here and use that to guide your choice in employment (i.e. public/private school - the size, the location).

As for ESL, there are many opportunities - especially in the city (S.D. - I assume Santiago too). What I've found hard with that option is getting there, and the times. You could spend 30-45 minutes trying to go a mile or two. Many classes are after work - in prime rush hour (which seemingly runs from 7am. - 1am, M-F).

Doable? Definitely!
Difficult? Sometimes in a mind-numbing manner.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
American international schools prefer teachers with a degree and teaching certificate.

And the fact you don't speak Spanish limits your opportunities even more.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Ken said:
And the fact you don't speak Spanish limits your opportunities even more.

Definitely!

The more Spanish you know the better off you will be, no doubt.

Plus, it's the closest thing to the language that's spoken here.

childview

Mar 4, 2003
I am hoping to take some spanish classes. I just got back from cabarete, it was my first time in the DR, and it was a life altering experience, completely for the better. I will also have a teaching degree and teaching certificate from the province of Alberta. Anybody know how I can find out what kind of teaching certificate I'll need to teach in the DR?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Definitely get the spanish taken care of. I can't emphasize that enough. There's enough gringos running around without adequate Spanish - like me!

If you have the education background and and ESL certificate, you're not going to have any trouble finding a job. You may not even need the ESL Cert. Keep in mind, schools are beginning their hiring processes right now, so don't hesitate if this is for fall 2003.

One last word of caution, be careful in equating your time in Cabarete to living and working in the DR.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Since you liked Cabarete, you may be interested in the International School in Sosua, K-12. You could contact them with questions about possible openings, certification requirements, etc. http://www.issosua.com/

childview

Mar 4, 2003
I know that my visit to Cabarete will be VERY different from living in the DR. I have no illusions about that. My plan for after university has always been to go somewhere different to teach English for a little while to see what opportunities that will lead me to. I'm just beginning to explore where. I won't be applying until next year for 2004. Thank you all very much for all your advice, I really appreciate EVERYTHING! :D

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Try this place

ESL is a very exhausting job, but there are ample opportunities in this country or in other places in Central or South America.

Your college degree and teaching certificates will be very helpful, certainly.

You might try this site since it has helped some friends of mine. You need to network, have a good Resum? all prepared and perhaps even attend a job fair..

http://iss.edu/

HB

Also do an archive search here under English teaching, or Bilingual Schools or American Schools....should have a lot of interesting stuff there

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Hi

I've run an English Institute in Nagua for the past seven years and a Canadian friend of mine came over last year for the same resons you have stated. She stayed nine months here working with me so If you'd like to get in touch with her to see if your expectations will live up to the reality, pm me and I'll send you her email (after I get her permission, of course ;) )
I do agree with the advice so far given. You've got to decide whether you'd like to work in a public or private school. They are totally differnt worlds, even down to the requirements. But I must tell you that there is a shortage of ESL teachers, so finding a job won't be that difficult, especially if you don't limit yourself to the larger cities. But that would mean a lower pay scale, which closes the circle, decide what it is you want to do..ie. have the experience or make money. Both can be done, but it takes time to build up any business here, even a school.
Hope this helps,
Amber