Is Samana a good area for the disabled to live in

Billie

Feb 19, 2003
I am planning on relocating to the Dominican Republic. I would like to know people's reactions about living in the Samana area. I am disabled but cannot afford to live in the expensive United states.

Are there doctors available that will visit my house as well as physical therapists?

I would prefer not to live in a major city.

Please give me your feedback

Billie

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Samana is not the place for you. There are doctors who will visit your house, but they are at the low end of the continuum. There are no therapists.

The best resources for you are in Santo Domingo and Santiago, but since you don't want a big city, I would recommend Puerto Plata. Both doctors and therapists are available there, and it is not what most would call a big city.

Billie

Feb 19, 2003
Wheelchair needed

Thank you for asking yes I do need a wheelchair. Any information is appreciated. Ken thank you for your honest and helpful response.

Billie

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
DR is not a choice place to live for a person with wheel chair needs . Unfortunately, there still is not an awareness of the need for ramps and people using a wheel chair that can be perfectly functional in the USA would need assistance to get around here.

This goes for the larger and smaller cities.

If you are accustomed to being functional in the USA you will feel very limited here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You did not say weather or not you have visited the Dominican Republic or not?

If you enjoy some things like Electricity,water,air conditioning,and Healthy Food(Not just greasy,and sugary) a nice house or apt.,the DR is NOT a CHEAP or even inexpensive place to live.It is becoming more expensive every day! The value of the dominican peso to the US dollar declined about 30 % last year alone,and consumer goods cost more! I would think twice before moving here,and then think "TWICE" more! CRIS