Money conflict

Sapphire&Pearl

Sep 30, 2002
Greetings!

I need something clarified. Our travel agent is nuts.:confused: One minute she told us only to bring Canadian or American money on our holdiay. Then in the same breath she told us to leave our hotel with peso's only. When I asked for clarification I became even more confused.

Please provide feedback. Thanks!

Sapphire

PS only 7 more days!!!!!!

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Perhaps, because sometimes people want to get you to spend ALL your money outside the hotel. If you have only pesos, you won't spend so much. And you'll still have plenty of cash to change in to more pesos if you want.
Have a good trip, Sapphire.
mk

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
you dont want to spend US, CAD, or EUR in the street.. get it changed to pesos at a cambio and only carry the pesos for spending.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Slight qualification on that
Do not exchange money on the street. Go to a reputable exchange house or Banco de Cambio...

HB

debs

Jun 10, 2002
Take CDN money with you and exchange it for pesos when you get there. Some travel agents tell you that CDN money isn't accepted, but it is.

Just don't forget your $10 US that you'll be required to pay to depart the DR (unless your package covers it).

Have fun girls!!!

trishdeyar

Oct 16, 2002
www.hiddenhilltop.com
Sapphire

We just got back from two weeks in DR and we took US money with us. The resort we were at gave crappy exchange for Cdn $$ 10/dollar but pretty good for US 23.5/dollar - we went into Bavaro Plaza and there they were giving 14 Cdn and 24 US. We exchanged our US to peso and spent that way. We actually came home with money (don't know how that happened!!)

Myleena

Mar 7, 2003
I, too, just came back from a DR vacation... last week and here are the exchange rates I got for CAN$:

Hotel: 13.7
Streets: 14
ATM machine: 14.98!!! \--- Next time I may not bring CAN or pesos but cards =))

Myleena

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Myleena, what did your bank charge you for using the ATM card? I found that you get the best rate that way too but you have to figure that sc in there. It is convenient tho

Myleena

Mar 7, 2003
My bank (National Bank of Canada) charges 3.00$ per withdrawal (about 20 pesos hehe) but since I am an employee, I -pay only half =)

I suggest you visit your bank's website or call them for more info