Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive listing of Santo Domingo "Derecho" routes

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Comprehensive listing of Santo Domingo "Derecho" routes

Since traveling by "derechos" or "carros públicos" is cheap and efficient for carless foreigners and locals alike, I thought I'd gather everybody's input for a comprehensive compilation.

Here are routes I'm aware of, please feel free to add and correct:

---------

On Bolivar:

West Bound: From Parque Independencia all the way to the west end of Romulo Betancourt.

East Bound: From the west end of Romulo Betancourt to Churchill, going south, then heading eastward on Ave. Independencia back to Parque Independencia.

On Ave. 27 de Febrero:

West Bound: From end to end.

East Bound: From end to end.

On Ave. Lincoln:

I think there is only south bound on this one. Correct ?

On Ave. Independencia:

It's una via, so only eastbound from ???? all the way to Parque Independencia.

On "subiendo Gomez" route:

From Parque Independencia westward to Maximo Gomez, and then upward to........ ??

I know there are a lot more routes, but these are the ones I'm familiar with.

Let's all pitch in and piece the puzzles together.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Comprehensive listing of Santo Domingo "Derecho" routes

Originally posted by Formosano2000
    Since traveling by "derechos" or "carros públicos" is cheap and efficient for carless foreigners and locals alike,
    Cheap yes!
    Efficient? It is probobly the most inefficient form of mass transit there is. Not to mention uncomfortable and potentially dangerous.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, safe it may not be, but I still think it's highly efficient, because:

1. You almost never have to wait long to flag down a derecho.
    2. If you know the routes and plan around them, it's not significantly slower than hiring a taxi to get to where you want to go.

(By nature of its capacity, a derecho won't stop as often as a regular bus and thus is much faster. At the same time, most derechos are in terrible shape so the driver is actually not hell-bent on reckless driving for fear of literally disintegrating their vehicles)

Would anybody want to add to the routes ? I'm sure there are many more in Santo Domingo.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to make a little map of the routes but its almost impossible to0 get the info. I've asked people and when I mark the route someone says one is wrong and doesn't go that way. So I just don't know. Also the cars will go on a different route sometimes. I know the basic routs. Pretty much the ones that already hhave been mentioned. Been here over a year now and still can't get them straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

What would also be useful would be a glossary of all the hand signals, and while we're at it the political party ones too.

Any takers?

Chiri

Post Thanks / Like

Default Isn't Independencea

Two way from the Hotel Santo Domingo (Abraham Lincoln) West?
    And we call them "Conchos" never derechos...Sometimes we call them "Públicos" ...

HB
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 03-08-2003 at 12:44 PM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Isn't Independencea

Originally posted by Hillbilly
    Two way from the Hotel Santo Domingo (Abraham Lincoln) West?
    HB
    It is a little bit further west, about 1 km, where Independicia becomes a two-way. The Independcia gua-guas transiting from the city center cross Abraham Lincoln just north of the Hispaniola Hotel onto Bernado Correa y Cidron which runs parallel to Independcia. They then turn left onto Av Italia and Av Italia intersects with Independcia at the point where the Independencia two-way begins. Regards, PJT

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb SD Transit: call it what you will...

I went hunting, and I think this is the map of some the routes:
    http://www.amet.gov.do/corredores/index.html

(Newbie info: www.dr1.com/travel/expect/transportation.shtml)

Are we agreed, at least, that the carros públicos/conchos/derechos/carritos (shared taxis) and the gua-guas (private bus/mini-van) travel on pretty well every major street?
    -That the públicos currently cost 6 and the gua-guas are 6, (or 5)?
    -That the OMSA city buses cost 3 for non-air and 10 for air, and that they cover only the most major streets (2002 map available -- for viewing only -- inside the El Conde police station -- SEE BOTTOM).
    -That all of the above stop running around 7pm-ish?
    -That after that, call a regular taxi, and that it should never exceed 100 pesos, including an informal/voluntary gas surcharge? But what is a “tourist taxi”...?
    -That Chiri will earn an honorary doctorate for cataloguing the hand gestures?

The department that appears to oversees SD transport, AMET, ([email protected]) admitted this bit of honesty at http://amet.gov.do/... “En cuanto al transporte, contamos con servicios deficitarios, los vehículos son antiguos y están en mal estado.”

THE PUBLICO ROUTES:
    Somebody have a look at www.amet.gov.do/corredores/index.html
    and compare with the routes below:

-Zona Colonial:
    A route comes south on Duarte just south of Av. Mexico, east on Mella, follows Meriño south, turns west a few streets south of el Conde and comes up Mincado past the Parque Independencia, perhaps looping back to Duarte...

-Duarte:
    The map looks to be correct, except south of Parque Henriquillo, they may head in various directions, necessitating the gestures or pointing your hand, or asking...

-On Bolivar:

WB: From Parque Independencia all the way to the west end of Romulo Betancourt.
    EB: From the west end of Romulo Betancourt to Churchill, going south, then heading eastward on Ave. Independencia back to Parque Independencia.

-On Ave. 27 de Febrero:

West Bound: From end to end.
    East Bound: From end to end.

-On Ave. Lincoln:

I think there is only south bound on this one. Correct ?

-On Ave. Independencia:

It's una via, so only eastbound from ???? all the way to Parque Independencia. Two way from the Hotel Santo Domingo (Abraham Lincoln) West?
    The Independencia gua-guas transiting from the city center cross Abraham Lincoln just north of the Hispaniola Hotel onto Bernado Correa y Cidron which runs parallel to Independencia. They then turn left onto Av Italia and Av Italia intersects with Independencia at the point where the Independencia two-way begins.

-On "subiendo Gomez" route:

From Parque Independencia westward to Maximo Gomez, and then upward to........ ??

OMSA CITY BUS ROUTES:
    Descriptions and some maps at: www.omsa.gov.do/slocal.htm

Corredor 27 DE FEBRERO tiene su origen en el cruce de manoguayabo y como destino final el parque Los Tres Ojos
    Corredor NORTE (John F. Kennedy) con origen en la terminal de OMSA EN EL Km. 9 1/2 de la autopista Duarte, y destino el Tamarindo
    Corredor OESTE (Los Alcarrizos-AV. Luperon) Con origen en el hospital Alcarrizos, y destino Av. Luperón esquina Av. Independencia.
    Corredor CENTRAL (Máximo Gómez)
    Su recorrido de N-S es: Origen-Av. Hermanas Mirabal-Av. Máximo Gómez-Av.Correa y Cidrón-Av. Abraham Lincoln-Calle Paul Harris-Destino.
    De S-N el recorrido es : Origen-Av.Independencia-Av.Máximo Gómez-Av.Hermanas Mirabal-Destino.
    Corredor SUR (Avenida Independencia) desde el Hipodromo V Centenario hasta el muelle de Haina.
    Corredor NUÑEZ DE CACERES
    Corredor CHURCILL desde los Rios hasta el Km. 13 de Haina.
    Corredor NACO comienza y termina en la terminal OMSA_del Km. 9 1/2 de la Atop. Duarte.
    Corredor CHARLES DE GAULLE comienza en la_terminal Hipodromo V Centenario y Termina en la Av. Jacobo Majluta.

-that was fun... if I had this info before I left...
    e

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation http://amet.gov.do/

incorrect url in prev post
    correct: http://amet.gov.do/

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Any changes?

I'm just wondering if any of these routes have changed since the last post?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast