Last night's concert at Teatro Nacional

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Good things are worth waiting for. Last night's concert was one of them.

The hall was about 85% full, which is good for classical concerts in DR. The orchestra was a bit uneven and had rough edges in the Ravel Spanish Rhapsody, but towards the later part (Hanaera and Feria) things got better. Some solo parts (harp, English horn) were particularly memorable.

Then came the big draw- James Galway ! A suave silver-haired maestro in dashing silk suit, he played the Mozart Flute Concerto No. 2 (not No.1, as was stated on the program). Somehow, his sound was a bit harsh and thrill and not the round and plumb sound one would expect for Mozart's writing. I suspected something wasn't right about the instrument as all passages, fast or slow, sounded that way. My suspicion was vindicated when he abruptly halted the orchestra 1/3 way through the 2nd movemnt and asked for a piece of paper to clean up his flute (later on, I was told by a woodwind player that Galway's flute obviously had one of the buttons jammed). What a difference it was after that ! The finale was radiantly bouncy and notes streamed out of his flute like pearls.

After intermission, he played the DR premiere of comtemporary British composer Dave Heath's 4th Flute Concerto, subtitled "Heaven and Earth". Quite a novelty, as the piece incorporated two dripping water buckets held by two burly men on either side of the stage. Coupled with harp and simmering percussion in the background, it so oddly evocative of the kind of sounds in Japanese buddhist temples. Later one the piece contains some romantic (and film-worthy) moments.

The highlight of the concert was undoubtedly the unexpected generosity of Galway, who bestowed four (!!) accompanied encores. Two Irish folk tunes, a Bach transcription and Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumble Bee", which absolutely brought down the house.

But wait, Galway had one more trick up his sleeve, literally speaking. He took out a piccolo from a pocket and proceed to toot away some folky tunes. I was on cloud nine, so was the rest of the audience, I think.

The orchestra in general was in much better shape during the Respighi's "Pines of Rome", during which many passages were meticulously and wondrously rendered. The conductor Philippe Entremont built the last movement "Pines of Via Appia" to an overwhelming climax. A real tour de force.

I'll report back after attending some other concerts in the series. Stay tuned !

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Formosano2000

That was an excelent Post my friend!
Please keep us up on the rest of the concerts that you are able to get to.

Thanks
Tim H.

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Tonight's program is going to be quite a novelty.

It will be a classic silent film by Eisenstein accompanied by a live orchestra playing Shostakovich's music.

Will report back on Monday.