I have a question

trishdeyar

Oct 16, 2002
www.hiddenhilltop.com
Each time I have visited DR when I want to purchase things, specifically souveniers, it's expected that I'm going to barter back and forth for a better price. My question is, is this right across the board? If I were to travel to other parts of the DR would it be expected of me and if you do barter do you for everything?

Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, you don't barter everything. Mostly you barter with vendors on the streets and beaches selling souvenirs and other things meant for the tourists. In the established businesses, such as supermarkets, pharmacies, gas stations, bus terminals, etc., etc., there is no bartering.

trishdeyar

Oct 16, 2002
www.hiddenhilltop.com
Thanks Ken

Thanks for the quick reply Ken - I actually absolutely HATE bartering and I'm pretty sure people saw that real quick :) I did manage to get some really nice things for my kids but this time around think I lucked out. We actually were trying to find out from the vendors where they do their shopping. I know it wasn't around where we were!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Touristy Gift Shops, Too Though

I agree with Ken what is obviously legit like a supermercado or the bus fares, you don't , but in addition to the vendaderos on the beach you can freely haggle in gift shops on for example Duarte in Boca Chica.

I bought a replacment carry on bag starting at $40 US (roughly 1,000 RD$) for RD$ 400 with the tried and true I am now walking away from you strategy. It is a pretty good bag.

At the gift store selling mainly jewellry 10-25% off the sticker price is commonplace.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Mr. Mainer does most of the bartering. He pays retail in the supermercado, but not for things outside of the "regular" stuff. He got 1300 pesos off the washing machine, 160 pesos off the dog kennel, etc. etc.

He uses the, I am leaving now, approach also. Works most of the time with publicos and guaguas too. Doesn't work with taxis though.

Occasionally he does have to leave, but most of the time the price gets lowered.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ah yes, haggling!!

Just be sure you do it with a smile.

Ask for the "descuento de familia" , or the "discuento de los hermanos"

Just be sure that it is not adversarial....keep a smile on your face like you know it's a game and just you two are enjoying it at this moment.

In many places if you don't barter they don't like to sell to you since you aren't playing the game...

Admire the articles, mention how nice they are and how inexpensive, but say you really don't want to spend that much for such nice stuff. Follow that line and you will enjoy the experience much more...

HB