Strike, protesting, buses burning!

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
I just got the call
Do not come to work today!

Going home Weds, at 5pm they were at it. But my secretary just called and said that 2 buses were on fire and nothing is getting through. I have not asked what it's about this time. But the road from the refinery to the industrial park, in Haini is closed. She said that this is the worst demonstration she has seen in 8 yrs.

As soon as I find out, what it's about, I will update.

Thanks
Tim H.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Which was repportedly settled?

I think that Tongo, a.k.a. golo, said that the corruption scandle coming out of the RENOVE money (100s of millions of dollars involved) would overshadow anything else in thes government.

that dispute between the rival unions was supposed to have been settled just three days ago!

Apparently is is all about who picks up which passangers.

Here in Santiago we have been having something similiar with the Zona Franca workers. The publico drivers don't want the company buses to come into the different barrios to pick up their workers. Thus the workers are being denied some of their just compensation, free transportation to and from work. This is mostly in the Cienfuegos Barrio....

HB

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Your Right HB.

I thought it might have been over the electric increase.
Our monthly bill at factory went from $ 25,000. to over $ 32,000.
in 1 month. That?s in U.S. dollars not Pesos.
I know that the Government is going to soften the blow in yet another Ponzi Scheme, for the residential user?s, but in negotiating the bill yesterday for payment, our account rep, warned of a 32% increase for next month. I said no-way, your kidding right! He stated it was a fact. Their giving enough time for this increase to sink in before they start the media, Dog & Pony Show for the next one.

And the Beat goes on.....And the Beat goes on.....
:laugh: :cry: :laugh: :cry: :laugh: :cry: :knockedou

Thanks
Tim H.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
At this rate of escalation in prices......

how long before the factory you work at closes like so many others since Mejia took office?????

God I'm getting tired of all the people we knew moving out of country because of failed businesses and free zone factories.
Lost another last week and a couple more are hanging by a thread.
Doesn't the gov't realize how many people who were gainfully employed and contributing to the economy are now back in "survival" mode and wondering how long before "starvation" sets in??

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Extra points to Hillbilly for using Tongo!
I haven't been out yet today. I hope they don't spoil my weekend. I'm trying to encode and post a streaming video of Carnaval in la Vega. I'll lat ya'll know if and when it is ready.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola MommC

I agree that allot of companies must be taking a 2nd look, when they get absurd increases like this one.
But to be honest it would cost too much to move the company off to another region.
And outside of the weekly payroll, we pay almost 800 people weekly, not bi-weekly like most do. The electric bill is our highest expense. We run 7 disciplines of manufacturing under 1 roof.
We have,

A Metal shop with 15 Punch Presses, 4 Guillotines, for cutting to size, 4 Brake presses for small runs. Also in there is 8 industrial Spot Welders, busy all day long.

Then there is a Powder Coating line with Wash Down and Drying Ovens all on a continuous conveyer.

We have a Printing Dept, that cuts and prints every thing from Packing boxes, Merchandise boxes, Instructions, every single piece of cardboard and paper we use.

The PCB Department, 10 lines of CNC Circuit board, component placement machines (Chip-Shooters), that to feed Wave solder?s.

A Microwave & RF assemby dept, for wireless communication devices.

A Molding Dept, 12 Injection molding machines, what doesn?t go in metal, goes in plastic.

A huge Assembly Dept, where all of the stuff is made into final finished goods.

This is all suported by a central Engineering and QC Departments.

A Maintenance Dept, to support the auxilleries and each department.

Four 50Hp Air compressor?s, Two 50Hp Vacuum generators, and Four 3000Kw Standby Generators.

I have not seen such a variety of Engineering Disciplines, under 1 roof, anywhere else in the DR, yet. I?m still looking.

When the folks back home start getting excited about things like the electric bill, I remind them of what the cost would be back home, then go get a discount for payment in full.
It isn?t the size of the bill that excites them, it?s the rate of increase and frequency that has them on the phone.

Thanks
Tim H.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks Tim for putting the increase in the "proper" perspective!!

Like you mentioned most of us see only the % increase and the frequency and fail to take the time to realize that it's still cheaper than at home!! hehehe - wouldn't I love to only be paying a hundred bucks a month for my electricity back home!!! Especially since my house is heated by a forced air gas furnace!!

Gas rates at home

Momm C they just went up again (gas rates), hydro hasnt moved up yet but of course Ernie killed the sale of Hydro 1, might be a saviour, election coming soon, you better get home so your vote will count. On second thought stay there and enjoy yourself, Hippo is not running up here "I think"